TALK in ENGLISH - Visitors Corner - 2024

Translation by Google in English :

Yes, this is a music station, and its reputation in the country is divided into two levels. Those who don’t like listening to it think this style is very rustic.

1 Like

Yaah Dank u and maybe I can translate Chinese to English next time. :joy:

1 Like

Would like to question the use of ‘visitors’ in the title. NL surely receives visitors of short trips but also accommodates long-term and permanent residents of non-Dutch citizenships. ‘Visitor’ may not an appropriate term applying to them.

I’ve always read it as visitors to the Dutch speaking part of the forum, not to the country itself

2 Likes

From this angle, everyone is a visitor then regardless of mother tongues and preferred languages, which also makes ‘visitors’ here redundant.

@yirobinson ,

This is the original topic regarding the previous forum:

In ENGLISH - Visitors Corner - 2020

For all you :smiley: ! out there who don’t speak Dutch but would like to take part in some discussions with the Dutch postcrossing community.

Requests for swaps, notebooks etc. can be posted here as well as off-topic chats (in English of course).

Feel free to be part of our :smiley: Dutch community !

As time goes, there are new situations and perspectives. My basic point is that ‘visitor’ is not inclusive enough with regard to all kinds of PCers involved in this part.

Hello, I’m staying in Amsterdam for the weekend. Can you help me and jusy tell me where I can buy stamps? How to search Post office in Google? Every result is a machine or postbox! :o

Hello @marlenn

https://www.postnl.nl/en/

This is the website of Post.NL

Here you will find the postoffices in Amsterdam.

Just type Amsterdam :slight_smile:
https://www.postnl.nl/en/

2 Likes

@marlenn And when you search for them, it’s usually a counter inside a super market or small shop selling magazines. Look for the orange PostNL logo

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice but it was not too easy to find it. Two sellers told me that everyone buys stamps online and eventually one had it :astonished: I hope their price is actual, are they actual?
Can I just throw the ppstcards in the orange post box?

1 Like

Well done! You have the correct stamps, price should 1,55 euro per stamp

Oooh, they are apparently not good at keeping stock then, I have found a few surprised sellers as well. Indeed I turned to buying them online, but that should not mean that as a seller in Amsterdam city center you should not keep some sheets of international stamps! Sorry you had to go through the hassle.

And yes, drop them in the orange mailboxes in the left ‘mouth’ of the mailbox. It says ‘overige postcodes’ meaning it doesn’t go to a location close to the mailbox and needs to travel to another sorting center.

@marlenn,

Don’t forget to add the prioity sticker.
I always stick these blue stickers at the left, next to the stamp or vertically on the center line.
(Also to the left of the written address the card will be sent to.)

I visit Amsterdam in the first week of may. I think I’m to late to buy stamps online, so I thank you for all the informations about buying stamps in a shop. I hope I will find it. :smiley:

Hi, l think you read all info above, so go to the postNL website and find the locations that sell stamps. Usually a supermarket or small book shop.

International stamps are 1,55 euro for all destinations (up to 20 grams). If like @marlenn reported, you have a hard time finding international stamps, but can find the national stamps, you can opt for using 2 national stamps. They cost 96 cents, so it’s more expensive, but might save you some hassle.
Usually stamps are sold in sheets, so you have a to buy 5 or 10 stamps at once.

Have fun in Amsterdam!

1 Like

Hello, I am writing from Spain, and I hope this is the right place to ask. I have two daughters, 6 and 9 years olds, who do athletics and are big fans of Femke Bol. They received once a newspaper clipping about Femke and are literally fighting over it. I was wondering if any Dutch postcrossers could help us and send some newspaper clippings or basically anything related to Femke Bol. My daughters would be over the moon.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Edit

2 Likes

@Edit80 That’s so cute! She is very good and fun as well!
I don’t get a physical newspaper so cannot help, looked online whether I could find a fanclub or something, but not really.

Only a small movie from the Jeugdjournaal (kids news program aimed at the age range of your kids). in Dutch though:

PS This newspaper seems to report quite often about her, this is the latest article

Femke will compete in the Fanny Blankers Koen games here in The Netherlands on June 6, so then the newspaper items will be there again I guess!

Oh, thank you very much! I will definitely check the video and the newspaper!

My daughters are hoping she would come to Spain to compete one day, so they could meet her, but chances are not too high I am afraid.

1 Like

Hi there! I’m going to be in Katwijk and Leiden for some days. Can someone recommend shops where I can buy non-touristy postcards? Thank you!

Ooh, I should know but it’s hard!

The Hortus Botanicus has a wonderful collection of plant and animal cards, you can enter the shop without paying for the gardens (restaurant is also good to have drinks or lunch!)

Also other museums will have a nice stock, think about for example The Siebold Huis which is all about Japan

Wonderful nature is at least a beautiful shop, it was closed when I was last there, so I don’t know about the postcard stock.

Wonderful Nature

Hard to judge whether Lijst & Kado has postcards or only folded cards. Haven’t checked it out myself.

LIJST & KADO “lijstenmakerij, wenskaarten en kado winkel in Leiden”

Book shops are also always a good source.
Have to mention my former employer

Boekhandel Kooyker

But on their original location is now another bookshop that looks promising from Google maps images

BABOOKA bookstore