Taking Pictures / Scanning and Uploading of received and sent cards

Mind sharing the name of the app. I’m doing photos with my phone and it works ok but scanning would be better

1 Like

I use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos.scanner
I hope it will helps.

3 Likes

I always use my phone received cards because I don’t have a scanner. Then crop the photo, adjust the contrast, saturation and other parameters to make it close to the original hue.

3 Likes

I do this too, might not be perfect, but the time it takes to scan is too much.

1 Like

I scan both sent and received cards, keeping the sent ones in a folder on my pc so I know what I’ve sent out and when. I also scan and upload sent cards prior to posting them but just recently the images of three cards sent out on the same day have all been deleted by the recipients. I don’t mind if a recipient prefers to upload their own image - although all my scans are of excellent quality - but when I’ve carefully chosen a card from their wish list and included a nice friendly message it saddens me somewhat that they seem to think so little of it they will delete the image completely.

3 Likes

I scan all cards, sent and received. Sometimes I change the pictures.

1 Like

I have done this when I started here, but because many sent cards are not scanned by the sender, I quitted doing so, too much extra work.

1 Like

I scan everything: sent, received, even tags/other games (that way I know what I’ve sent someone before and won’t them send them the same thing twice on accident, or maybe refer back to a card to keep a conversation going)

I always upload my own picture, even if the sender has uploaded already when sending

3 Likes

I don’t own a scanner but I’m saving up for one. I would like to keep better track of which cards I sent and receive. And I think scans look a bit better than photos.

If I replace the image of the received postcard, does it disappear from the sender?

@milota it changes the photo displayed on their end too, which is why I’m not keen on people doing so.
I’m in the minority of the couple dozen people who responded, but I’m sure there are others who think as I across the thousands in Postcrossing.
I will put up a pic of a received card sometimes if there is none there, but if they uploaded it with their cat, thumb, garden, or table cloth in background, I leave it bc changing the receivers end will override that on Both ends, and who is to say receiver’s wall of “perfect” scans is better than one with personality or flair from the sender who maybe prefers all theirs to have that other asthetic.
I see it as an extension of the back written part as someone else said. A bit if their personality unless they ask for a better scan to override them.
“Perfect” pictures could just be looked at or bought online. It’s what collectors like, but why bother with Postcrossing then at all if you don’t care about the person on the other side? Just look online and buy all the cards you fancy.

7 Likes

Another thing I read on a thread long ago is that perfectly scanned cards are then also plagerized by some to create their own cards to use/sell which is unfair to the original artist.

2 Likes

I don’t scan or upload. This aspect of Postcrossing has always puzzled me. It feels like work. I have the ones I’ve received, and I don’t know why I would want to refer to ones I’ve sent. And as someone said in another blog, this is a hobby, not a job.

3 Likes

Every hobby is practised by different people with different intensities - including Postcrossing.
I scan every card I send and receive - but I don’t see it as a job, it’s part of my hobby.

10 Likes

I see it differently. I replace all images of received cards for different reasons: First of all, now the sender won’t be able to take the picture down anymore. Because, if you’re the sender of a card and uploaded a picture, you’ll always be able to take it down. And I want to have a 100% received wall, so I really don’t want to go through my box of literally thousands of cards to find the one that was removed…
And secondly, this way I can show how the card actually looks like. Many cards get scratches or ink blurs on their way through mail, and some even get wet and look entirely different in the end. I usually don’t look at my cards anymore once they’re in the big postcard box, so uploading pictures of their state when arriving here is very nice.
Btw, I’d also love if my recipients did the same, but very few do. (I really want to see if they get scratches from my way to them, too!)

10 Likes

Many like to see what cards the person already received, and by looking them it’s easier to choose one they don’t yet have.

Also, I like to remember what card I sent, because sometimes they comment it or ask something, and it’s good to see what I sent, because sometimes it takes very long time.

I only use my phone to upload the image. Quality is not good, but I think it’s ok.

4 Likes

I scan my received cards just before I register them. I always upload my own scan right after registering in that cases:

1. no photo was uploaded by the sender
  2. I find that my scan is better than the sender’s (e.g. the photo / scan was uploaded upside down, it’s too blurry to see anything or - if it’s a photo - there is something in the background where I think that this shouldn’t be there, such as documents with readable data etc.)

I thought about always deleting the sender’s scan and uploading my own, because the sender can delete the image even after registering. But - IF they really do I can still upload the image as I always name them by ID and it’s easy to find in my collection. So I decided not to take the second step before the first.

But whatever someone decides - I feel totally okay if someone deletes my scan. Not only for me, but for the recipients as well, there are a ton of reasons why they act the way they do.

4 Likes

Like a lot of others here,

• I always scan and upload an image of every postcard I send, AND
  • I scan and upload images of my received cards when the sender hasn’t uploaded one already (or, if they did, it was a very poor scan).

I figure that scanning and upload a crisp image of my sent postcard is one more way I can give something nice to my recipient :slight_smile:

Also – when I receive a card, and I upload a photo of it, I like to include the postcard’s description and any blurb that may be printed on the back. If the info doesn’t fit in the description field (which has a limited # of characters), I post the remainder as a comment. Context makes it even more interesting!

When someone receives my card but they don’t enter a description, I sometimes post a comment to describe what the card depicts. Yes, I may be a little obsessive… I’m a retired tech writer and it shows :wink:

2 Likes

Yes , I do scan sent and received cards

I have sent 24 postcards out to postcrossers and 7 have not uploaded them to my wall but they upload other postcrossers postcards i wish this didn’t bother me but it does.
I upload every postcard i get i think it shows that you appreciate them

3 Likes