Taking Pictures / Scanning and Uploading of received and sent cards

To make it easier, @whitefroststreetboi: there are scanning apps too. I don’t have a scanner so I use Office Lens and it will recognize the borders of the card, plus is easy to edit, etc.
I also used to take a photo and then edit, but it was a mess. With the scanning apps the quality gets a bit better, I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

And yes, answering to the question: I scan it also (with the app) because I don’t like to see my wall empty/missing some pictures. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Only if I feel like doing so.

3 Likes

I use a google app called photo scan that “scans” very well using my IPad since I don’t have a scanner any more.

1 Like

I scan all received cards that haven’t been scanned by the sender. Occasionally, I’ll replace the sender’s image if it’s of poor quality.

1 Like

No I generally don’t. Unless the sender didn’t upload an image, and it was a card that I really liked and wanted others to be able to see it too. It was odd, from mid Oct. to mid Nov. I received so many cards that hadn’t been uploaded. I actually was starting to think there was some glitch in the system. I do upload all my sent ones unless I forget for some reason. I think of it as a courtesy thing. The receiver can delete it if they want.

2 Likes

I like a complete wall so if the card was not uploaded by the sender, I will do it. I like when they do it because I’m lazy and sometimes I do it weeks later because I don’t have time or mood when I register. I used to take photos and now I use a scanner app. I don’t care that much about the quality, I just want a record to be there.

Likewise, I upload all I send, I don’t want to risk the receiver not doing it. But I do it as part of the sending process so it’s less of a “chore” :wink:

I admire those who properly scan, upload and catalogue everything, I just get bored doing so :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I take a picture with my phone and upload it if the sender hasn’t. I like to have a picture of every received and sent card. So far, only one recipient has deleted the sent card picture. I wish they had not, but it is their choice.

I take a photo with my phone and airdrop it to my computer. From there I upload it.

Well, when I was using a regular scanner it felt like a chore. It took ages. Now I have a photo scanner, right next to my keyboard. I only put the card inside and the scanner takes care of everything (cropping, aligning) in a few seconds. It manages to scan over 100 cards in less than 10 minutes. So it really doesn’t bother me to upload to the wall.

4 Likes

I recently read a 2016 blog on this Forum about this topic, highlighted under the section ‘Did you know’, advising to use the Google scan app.

I tried it out on a postcard, I like the result but the major inconvenience is that - once you export the scanned postcard from the app to your photo gallery on your smartphone - it includes a big watermark (Google scan logo), which distracts from the picture of the postcard itself. Such watermark cannot be deleted.

I checked online and it seems like the only solution if you use the Google scan app is to import all your photo gallery to the app Google Photos, after which you can delete the watermark of the scanned postcard. This is something I definitely don’t want to do.

Any new insights from your side on which alternative scanning apps to use, allowing you to directly export the scanned postcard to your photo gallery on your smartphone (in my case iPhone) without any visible watermarks?

One of you mentioned Office Lens in this discussion thread.

Many thanks in advance for your advice! :iphone::grinning:

1 Like

I have used office lens for all scans I do for a long time.

Now that I started postcrossing all my sent cards have been scanned that way. Very fast and easy, and it is very rare that I have to do any editing since it crops automatically - it is more precise if you use a contrasting background.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because you use iPhone / Apple?

I tried the app and for that I also disconnected from all my Google accounts and also shut down Google Drive, Google Photo and other Google apps to be on the save side.

I also tried it on an old Android with no other Apps than Google Play and necessary system apps and used an old basic Google Account.

No watermark at all 🤷

I use a flatbed scanner by Epson at home. And mobile just the mentioned Google scan app, so I can’t really help you. I don’t know anything about iPhone apps.

2 Likes

I scan all received cards with app on my phone. I upload my received cards on Flickr so I need pictures of every card anyway :woman_shrugging:t2: And I upload them on my wall if sender didn’t do it. Maybe I should upload all my received cards because I don’t want scans get deleted it sender will delete their account.

1 Like

This does not happen.
Look at here: Postcard DE-10058481

I received this card, the picture was uploaded by the sender. The account was deleted meanwhile, the picture is still there.

See also here: If you, as the receiver, loaded up the picture, there’s your name. If the sender did, there’s the senders name, or, in case of a deleted account, no name appears:

7 Likes

I just take pictures. I upload the ones I send, and I upload the ones received if I see there’s no picture already uploaded (or in case the picture is very bad)

3 Likes

Well that’s good to know. Thank you for such a detailed answer!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have a (new) iPhone indeed, so I am happy with the resolution of the pictures taken and uploaded in any case.
I notice though that scanned postcards in the PC gallery have generally an optimal visual quality (edges and light).
I’ll try and see whether the Office Lens app works for me.

1 Like

I came on the forum today to ask this very question as I was unsure of the protocol. It seems like everyone handles it differently. As for me, I do not upload photos of received cards. I only upload pictures of the postcards that I sent. That way I have a record of what I’ve sent to others.

3 Likes

I take photos of cards I receive, but not ones I’ve sent… Although I always like it when I register and the sender has already uploaded it, so maybe I should do the same!

My opinion is that a postcard, both sides, is a personal message from the sender. If they also want to share this message the world, I think that it is OK to do so. I may occasionally upload postcards that I send myself, but I won’t expose someone else’s card for the world to see (unless they explicitly ask me to, of course).

1 Like