[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Ah, they’re cool. I got nearly all really boring little ones the last time I ordered 1st class from Philatelink, put me off a bit. Luckily my local PO had lots of the Only Fools and Horses in so I can mix them together. Will try another order soon, hopefully will get a better mix!

I also ordered some of the Olympic stamps they had on Philatelink, thinking I’d get a nice mix, but got all the same design!

Oh wow, I really love those old style Wilding ones of the Queen top left - I always think that was such a beautiful image! I’ve never seen modern versions of those. The purples and greens are so lovely too. Nice mix!

Ooh they’ve got some stock back in!

I’m not sure what this means? It is on the https://www.royalmail.com/prices2021 website currently…

It’s badly worded but I think, from the price cards attached that it only affects business services? Hopefully :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

New stamps today! Not sure I absolutely have to have them, but always interested to see something new :blush:

5 Likes

Hi there, I thought the King Arthur set were due to be released on the 16th March, has that changed? Some Post Offices may have jumped the gun !

Best Wishes, Derek

1 Like

Hi Derek! No, you’re totally right about the 16th, but the artwork has just gone up on the Royal Mail website today so thought I’d share it here :smiley: I’ve been keen to see what these ones would look like!

I’m looking forward to the issue after that, Classic Science Fiction. However, will probably pick up some £1.70 King Arthur…

Thanks, Katiemmj Appreciate your posting the images, they look fine, It is a great topic and I look forward to seeing the actual stamps next week, good values for Postcrossing at £1-70 and .85p. Regards D

1 Like

These look nice. I’ll try and get myself 2 or 3 sets.

I’ve bought a set of the Arthurian postcards - plenty of Postcrossers seem to like fantasy novels and series, dragons, etc., so perhaps they’ll appreciate this theme too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Bought the set of the King Arthur stamps today and they look lovely. Now I want to order the postcards too @figtrees

2 Likes

I’m sure many of us have recieved those new German stamps with what looks like a QR barcode next to them,

Looks like Royal Mail will be trialing them on 2nd Class stamps, available to business customers only for the moment.

1 Like

Hi me again,

Anyone still get Sainsbury’s or Tesco coupons in the post?
Just noticed this pre-printed cancelled ‘Alice & Wonderland’ stamp.

2 Likes

I thought mine, from Tesco, had a slight aroma of chocolate…

I just went to Royal Mail shop to order some stamps online, and immediately saw this:

“Country Definitive” set, 4 for £6.80 which is the usual price.

4 Likes

I absolutely love these Northern Irish lace definitives! So lovely. I have quite a few as £1.42s from the good old days :blush:

3 Likes

I still have a couple of the Scottish thistle £1.42 stamps knocking about in my stamp folders I think: those are my favourite so I bought a couple of dozen last year. My international postcards are heading out with King Arthur or Machin definitive £1.70 stamps at the moment though. I need to work my way through those before I can justify any £1.70 country definitives!

1 Like

Interested to read that folks have noticed that German stamps have appeared in the last months with an attached QR barcode and that Royal Mail will be trialling this technology. My understanding of the German issues is that the QR code on the stamp is set to expand throughout 2021 and that by a point in 2022 there will be no requirements for any Postmarks as all new issues will have the barcode. In effect all the information is held on that barcode , ie when and where it was sold and its tracking through the post. It removes any chance of the stamp being fraudulently reused. You may imagine the huge amounts of data this will generate. Maybe future stamp albums in the year Zog will come with a scanner !!! You may also have noticed that Germany has switched to a light blue postmark, that’s because the scanning equipment sees through it to read the barcode but is impeded by a black postmark. I guess it’s the end of the road for Postmark collectors, the Postmark will go the way of the Dodo over the next few years.
Also, be aware that Royal Mail are currently running a competition for a design by children for a “Covid heroes” related set of stamps, entries close in May with design(s) chosen in autumn 2021 and probably released in 2022. You can read about it on the BBC here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/56615173

Regards Derek