[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Unless desperate for stamps (i.e. got none for postage), I’m going to hold off buying stamps for now.

I would like to hope and think that the outstanding issues for this year will continue to have the silhouette of QE, it would be (a personal) shame to have the last issue with her portrait the transformers set.

I’m sure there will be a grace period as there are millions of stamps out there!

I would think Charles stamps, banknotes and coins will appear in 2023 or around the time of his coronation ‘if he has one’

We will all find out in the next few weeks leading up to the funeral.

3 Likes

We’ve just had a postal delivery. I thought they were on strike today?

Postal & Railway strikes called off in respect for the Queen :crown::black_heart:

2 Likes

It makes sense.

On a walk today, I came across this postbox which is out of service.

I had a look on the Royal Mail website and it says “When a box needs to be taken out of service, either temporarily sealed or permanently removed, a notice will be displayed to tell customers why and give details of the nearest 3 alternative posting facilities.” however the here was no information on or around the box at all so my guess is it’s been out of service for a long time.

I’ve lived just around the corner from this for the majority of my life and didn’t know about it. It’s in a very strange place, right at the end of a dead end road (in fact slightly offset from the end of the road down a dirt track). There used to be a Butchers around there, maybe 20 years ago now, so perhaps it was in use back then. However now, the box is hardly noticeable and is being encroached on by bushes.

I thought it was interesting as it’s not something you see every day.

10 Likes

I wonder if it’s from the same time period as this one I found the other day? King Edward vii. There’s a QE2 postbox next to this one now though.

5 Likes

On closer inspection, I think they’re from different times. @geo_ 's has a II under the crown while the one I found has a VII.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone ever posts anything in them, because, from the photos, it looks as though it’s still possible to do so.

Imagine - there could be letters or postcards in there from years past that people wondered why weren’t delivered! Maybe we should break in to rescue them :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@FairyFoot Every time I sit down to write my postcards I open up a new tab on my laptop screen and click on to this very page to make sure I get my postage right. I should be able to remember all the rates of the different stamps myself, but by the time it all sticks in my head the prices have gone up again. So, I just want to say a huge thank you for keeping the postage rates at the top of this page up to date. Thank you!

4 Likes

You’re welcome. Hubby won’t allow me to stick anything up on the walls with blu-tack… I used to have sheets of paper up on the walls with the postage rates, and convenient add-ons to 1st!

1 Like

I seem to remember that blu-tack was banned in halls of residence when I was a student too. It left greasy marks on the paintwork or something.

1 Like

Royal Marines
Issued: 29th September

4 Likes

and Stamp Sheet

3 Likes

https://www.royalmail.com/latest-news

Royal Mail to strike this Friday & Saturday,
Thus affecting World Postcard Day.

Get your postcards posted early…
Or those you draw on the 1st posted after the weekend.

4 Likes

Bah humbug indeed. And even those who go to Stampex… RM won’t be there.

I think I will request some address though.

1 Like

I will also request a few addresses on Saturday. It doesn’t matter to me when Royal Mail pick up the post. In fact, there was always going to be a good chance that I wouldn’t get the postcards to the box before the midday collection.

4 Likes

I’m working this Saturday, so I shan’t be requesting any addresses or writing any cards until I’m at home in the evening, so I’m with you on missing a collection on 1 October itself.

I’m looking forward to it though. I bought myself some £1.85 Commonwealth Games stamps from the Post Office in town on Saturday.

3 Likes

In Memoriam: Her Majesty The Queen

Issued: 10th November 2022

11 Likes