[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

I had one in the spring, GB-1512219
the (ukrainian) recipient was very clear that it must be addressed as ‘Russia’ otherwise it would not get to him. It arrived in 23 days with no issue.

Expiring cards are part of the course, you will have to get used to them. However this Jan-Mar 2022 seems to have been a lot worse than usual, I still have 18 on my expiring list from that period, all sorts of countries not just Russia. Some of my stuck cards to China are slowly arriving now. Currently I have 22 travelling and 33 expired. This is so imbalanced because I have scaled back my travelling cards and used to send more.

1 Like

Thanks. It definitely had Russia on the address so hopefully it will get there. The user has been logging in on a regular basis however.

Hi @elmani

I was referring to the regional ones - I try to use the Welsh ones if I’m not using commerative stamps as i reckon that collectors are unlikely to have them.
I didnt realise they are also being barcoded.
In fact I hoped that they were nit !

Hello Victoria @elmani, I’ll get back to you in due course about the postmarks very soon with my experience.

I might actually create a ‘Special Handstamp Post’ (again) as it seems to popular topic fellow postcrossers need help and guidance on.

I ditto that the bulletin is difficult to understand. I’ve been doing it two years and still don’t understand some of it.

3 Likes

I recently had GB-1548563 arrive in the Crimea after 49 days

1 Like

Dont forget that Royal Mail are striking soon. That means no collections or deliveries, and crown Post Offices will be shut. The strike dates are 26th and 31st of August plus the 8th and 9th of September. The 29th is a bank holiday for most of the UK. So if you were planning to send a postcard I would do it soon and expect delays to post.

4 Likes

Wrote two cards today, went into town, forgot to pack the cards ^facepalm^ Need to make sure I post them locally when I get come for any chance for them to get out before the strikes tomorrow!

2 Likes

Bah humbug, Norvic has found a website selling datamatrix forgeries… Chrome & Firefox (maybe others, but not yet Safari) blocks that website. I know postage isn’t exactly cheap these days, but please beware of “cheap deals” as they may well be counterfeit or washed/unmarked used stamps.

6 Likes

Does anyone know of there is a limit on the number of postcards I can send in one envelope to be handstamped? I’d want the same hand stamp on all the postcards in the envelope and would then like them all to be sent on uncovered to their destination.

Not to mention the fact that every barcode on every such stamp is unique and will (at least in due course) be checked off by the sorting machines. So if it is a duplicated code and/or has already been used, it will be detected and treated as postal fraud.

Really not worth trying to be ‘clever’ and buying those fakes!!

They’re all over Ebay though, and it would appear that there are plenty of customers for them… :frowning_face:

Here’s another thing. We have all noticed that mail takes a great deal longer to arrive now than it used to. But what causes the delays?

I currently receive a noticeable number of cards (this has only started to happen recently, over the past month or so) with a local machine postmark daubed over the original postmark :rage: or elsewhere on the card.

This morning I received a card from the USA, with a big and clear original postmark “22 Aug 2022”. But it also carries TWO (!) separate “Royal Mail - South East Anglia Mail Centre” machine postmarks, one dated 01/09/2022, the other 03/09/2022!

Today is the 7th; in other words, that card has been moving around a local mail distribution centre for at least 6 days before it got delivered to me today, and has been unnecessarily sent through the postmarking machinery twice during that time.

Makes you wonder what on earth they are playing at?!

3 Likes

Well during the Pandemic, I was told ‘five’ but now submit eight to ten postcards.

No problems so far.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you!

I’ve noticed that, too! Although, so far, it only seems to have happened to postcards coming from the US and not elsewhere. I don’t think I’ve received one with two separate “Royal Mail - North & West Yorkshire” machine postmarks yet though (and hopefully won’t!).

How long after the death of a monarch do stamps with their face on remain valid?

1 Like

Generally forever… or until a currency change/revalue

4 Likes

HM Queen Elizabeth 1926 - 1922, RIP

3 Likes

I’m not looking forward to licking the back of King Charles!

3 Likes

I presume the Royal Mail will continue selling the new barcoded Queen stamps until they run out before switching to King stamps, rather than scrapping the lot?

They might scrap them once they’ve got the new stamps printed and delivered - I suspect Post Offices will be under orders to return old stock in the same way they do with unsold special issues. I suppose the Royal Marines stamps due on 29th September will have to be redone with a different profile silhouette in the corner now.