[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I bought one and spent a happifying afternoon yesterday filling it up with my stamps. I used to keep everything in plastic bags, then in groups in larger plastic bags. Here’s a few photos:

And these are the stamps, worth 30 pence in total, that I shall use with a first and a second class stamp:

Some of my second class stamps:

16 Likes

Fortunately I have a large stash many bought several price increases ago so no effect yet.

2 Likes

Me too! I’ve got enough stamps to keep me going for another year! But will begin to reduce the number of cards I will send.

I won’t give up completely, but will reduce officials to travel mode and participate more on domestic RR’s, Tags and Travelling Envelopes. :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, I still have a few.

1 Like

:sob::broken_heart::sob::broken_heart::sob:

Does anyone know of a way to remove the ink from the front of postcards? x

3 Likes

If they’re both glossy (which I think the 2016 one will be but I can’t remember if 2011 maxis are glossy or not), I’d try gently rubbing a cotton bud and water or (when that doesn’t work) isopropyl alcohol. That’s what I’ve done in the past when I’ve managed to get permanent ink on the front of postcards. I wouldn’t touch the stamp though. Also, a lot of AusPost postmarks aren’t actually waterproof (especially from the main postmarking centre) so I wouldn’t put anything wet on the pictorial postmark.

As an aside, you have to love AusPost’s impeccable location choices for first day postmarks — Elizabeth and Williamstown :joy:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I will give that a very gentle try! Yes, the perfect locations for postmarking , i absolutely love the AusPost Royal Maxicards :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: x

2 Likes

No worries, good luck! I don’t think they look too bad, at least, if it doesn’t work — you can still see the pictures in full and it can be kind of fun to see the travel scars. I always cover the stamp/postmark on maxis to avoid this and (most people don’t say anything or appreciate it but) I also get thank you messages with complaints about covering part of the card precisely because people like to see the natural travel damage :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I guess everyone likes different things!

I’ve always covered them until recently, but when I started receiving uncovered ones from other people completely unmarked I stopped, this has reminded me exactly why I started!

Thanks for your help :blush: x

2 Likes

I appreciate it when you cover my stamps/postmarks @plushmail :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Definitely a reminder for me to cover them as well! @EmmaG x

1 Like

I’ve sent my most recent ones out uncovered, I’m worried now :weary: I guess I’ll just have to pray to the postal gods that they get there unblemished! x

1 Like

I’ve just read this. I believe him 100% regarding the vans, as there are some of the 10+ year old bangers doing the rounds in Reading. Working for the Royal Mail sounded like an ideal job. But I discovered it’s falling apart, just like its vans | Gareth Roberts | The Guardian

2 Likes

Newbury and the rural areas of West Berkshire have some noughties vans still chugging about.

Soon, the items will be up for pre-order on RM website. Picture taken from the RM website. All 1st. 2 sheets, se-tenant strips of 5.

10 Likes

Oh my gosh, I love them! If anyone is making maxis or getting the pictorial postmarks for this series and is willing to swap, please let me know! (I’m happy to swap for Australian maxicards 2:1 as I know UK postage is now crazy.)

1 Like

I can see myself getting more from one of the sheets than the other.

Here’s the link to the relevant Royal Mail Shop webpage: 100 Years of Commemorative Stamps - Special Stamp Issues

6 Likes

@plushmail and it’s happened again :sob::sob::sob:

I don’t suppose you know if they’ve been defaced here or in Australia do you? I don’t think its ever happened to any of my other AusPost maxicards, these 4 all came from the same town x

6 Likes

I think in this case it’s on the Australian side, as that’s a current(?) machine postmark encouraging people to “secure your dog for safe delivery”. I guess you just got unlucky with these ones :confused:

2 Likes