Speakers of Arabic: I need some advice!

Hello, all! I’m a children’s librarian and am attempting to organize and update our Languages section. We have children’s books in 50 different languages, which is awesome! Unfortunately, the section was last updated quite a while ago and because of this many of the sections are very out of date.

The previous person to label the language sections used out-of-date or inaccurate language names on some of the sections. I’ve caught and fixed some labels with the help of coworkers and the internet, but my usual sources have failed me on this one.

We currently have an ‘Arabic’ section and a ‘Persian’ section, which contains at least one book with ‘Farsi’ on the cover. My question is this: is it appropriate to label the section ‘Persian’? Should I use ‘Farsi’ instead? Or should everything be put in the ‘Arabic’ section?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

2 Likes

Not native speaker here, but I wouldn’t suggest put everything into the same section because they are different languages. They might look similar because of the alphabet but sound completely different, so it would be confusing for any reader of any of those languages if they were looking for a book. :slight_smile:

That said, not being a native myself, I will pass the ball on “persian or farsi?” to someone with a better cultural understanding on those words.

Really nice of you for asking it, though. Hope you find answers soon. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The language is called both Farsi and Persian (whatever you prefer, I think native speakers would rather go for Farsi as does a friend of mine who is Afghan and used to live in Iran while a German would use the term Persian instead) and it is definitely different from Arabic.

2 Likes

Same as other postcrossers said before, I wouldn’t suggest to mix Arabic and Persian/Farsi section. They are different languages, with different vocabularies.

About using label Persian or Farsi, I think @ipuenktchen could give you advice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice! Some of the things I ran across while trying to research this were very confusing - it’s so good to have a place to ask questions like this. :blush:

That’s really good to know, thank you!!

The local name for Persian is Farsi, the way Germans called their language Deutsche. So, you can go with either of the names.

Please don’t mix Arabic and Persian. They are different language with a common script. It would be like putting English and Spanish in one section because both are written in Latin script. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!! :purple_heart:

Everything is said before and @Carpe_Librum is current how to use. In case you have more questions pls feel free!

2 Likes