Some questions about Malaysia Philatelic Issues

Hello friends from the other side of the border!
I’m going into Malaysia tomorrow and I was wondering if philatelic items like first day covers and presentation packs are available at every major post office (e.g. the Johor Bahru post office in town) or are they only available at the headquarters in Kuala Lumpur? Thank you!

Maybe @JessieUy can help :grinning:

1 Like

Perhaps @Chris1124 would like to weigh in?

2 Likes

@twinkletwonkle
From what I know FDC, MS, Complete sets of stamps are available at every major post office but on very limited amount. The best place to purchase these philatelic items are at the Pos Malaysia General Headquarters Kuala Lumpur.

Here is the website of Pos Malaysia wherein philatelic items can be purchased or you can surf the available stamps on sale.
www.pos.com.my

1 Like

JB post office in town used to have a lot of MS and envelopes laying around, but now only envelopes, they even sold out last issued sultanate MS, you can try your luck for research centres stamps (just issued in May), but don’t get your hope up…

If you want to have FDC with JB post office postmark, I would suggest you to prepare by buying stamps online, then visit JB post office for envelopes and cancellations. However, as you are going to visit Malaysia TOMORROW, I think KL post office would be a better choice.

I hope this helps. :pray:

1 Like

Sadly, usually stamps will be sold out on the day of issue at the philatelic bureaus, in a way it is to make certain covers very scarce. Usually each post office will receive at most 10 sheets of stamps per design, so when it’s gone, it’s gone. Note that all post offices will receive philatelic materials for a stamp issue so if you’re searching for folders and MS maybe those smaller post offices in JB may still have the latest issue. (It will usually be returned to Kuala Lumpur after a month or so)

In the KL Headquarters, the selections are very few and you’ll find it difficult to purchase FDCs and Folder sets (note that presentation packs arent issued in Malaysia for a very long time now). It won’t be a problem to buy postage stamps there though, there are a few years’ issues that are still available there.

If you don’t mind paying the reseller’s price, you may head to Amcorp Mall on Saturday/Sunday afternoon (12pm-4pm) where there are sellers selling philatelic items among other antique stuff (like old banknotes). They sell mostly FDCs there but you may be able to find other stuff there. Most of them do not bargain so just walk away if you see a price that doesn’t suit you. Also, try to use Mandarin there. I personally find that place meh but as a tourist maybe you’ll be able to find something interesting there.

One suggestion: Come back to KL in December when there’ll be an annual stamp booth event by Pos Malaysia at Petaling Jaya Community Library. It’s an annual event where those older stock of stamps will be sold. I find a lot of 2010+ issues there which isnt sold at the HQ. Not sure when exactly will this year’s be. That event will also feature a new stamp issue so you can make your own FDCs there.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much! I’ll try my luck tomorrow and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll try my luck in KL when I go there in December hehe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Head to KL General Post Office to try your luck. Everyday is not the same. Depending on which staff that handle the counter. Each staff carry different stamp folders. Different staff, different stamp stock.

Here is a useful video showing where to find the Philately counter in KL GPO. It is taken during the YOT Rabbit issue this year.

1 Like