Sending postcards from Morocco ... is there such a thing like too much value for stamps on a postcard?

Good evening (as I’m sending this message). This is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

(1) Is it a problem if you put more than the necessary amount of postage on a postcard? I’m in Morrocco now, and I’ve seen a few postcards to the U.S. already. I think it costs 15 dirham to send a postcard to the U.S. But on the postcards I’ve already sent to the U.S., I’ve put 20 dirham worth of postage on them.

Basically, the dude who sold me the postcards said I needed to put 20 dirham worth of postage on any postcard I sent to the U.S.

1 Like

I can’t imagine it would. I send postcards to myself all the time, as well as to other users, and frequently put more postage than required. So long as you cover the minimum postage, and the article meets size, weight, and shape criterion, you should be all set.

2 Likes

I don’t think overpaying causes any issues - in fact it helps the postal service earn a little more and hopefully helps it survive these electronic times better

Underpaying is usually the problem - it hurts the postal system and is fraud.

1 Like

Hello! The person who sells postcards to you must not know the rules for sending postcards very well! It doesn’t matter if you stick too many stamps, on the contrary, insufficient postage is the problem.

1 Like

Overfranking is not a problem, unless it is done execcisv.

I don’t remember how it works when I’ve there some years ago but I give you an advice: don’t leave the mail on the mailboxes on the street, try to deliver them inside the post offices. I lost more 30 Unesco postcards I left in Essaouira, in the touristic street, near the fortress, none arrived… :pensive:

The 10 I left in Marrakesh, in the outside wall of the post offices, they arrived, or almost all…

1 Like

Actually, I’ve dropped off postcards with the hotel staff (rather upscale hotel, by the way). I haven’t been able to deliver them inside the post office yet, but I’m hopeful the hotel staff is trustworthy. Other guests have dropped off postcards with the hotel staff.

2 Likes

The good news … well, great news … is a British friend got her postcard from Marrakech today (March 1). It was postmarked on February 23.

2 Likes

When I was visiting in morrocco I sent 12 postcards to the US. None of them were received. :frowning: may be better to add stamps?

The interesting thing is … most (if not all) of the postcards I sent from Morocco from Japan were received. I don’t know if that’s the case for the ones I sent to the U.S.