Schools postcard project for internationa lpostcard day on october 1

Calling all Teachers around the world! My name is Marjorie, a writer involved in a project to connect schools in the UK with other schools (UK and overseaas) who want to send postcards to other schools as an exchange to celebrate World Postcard Day and encourage sending handwritten postcards/letters to each other. During the last week of September, I shall be going into UK schools with postcards (donated from postcard companies) to help students write the cards and then send them altogether to other classes around the world. Do any other teachers and schools want to connect with this project and also send postcards to the UK in return? Hope to hear from you soon so we can connect many schools up this way!
MARJORIE EDWARDS

3 Likes

Hi Marjorie,
this sounds like a great idea! I would love to participate with my 6th graders from Heidelberg, Germany. I currently teach 23 students who would be eager to send postcards (and would also be super excited about receiving them!).
Julia Lemnitz

1 Like

Hi Julia
Good to hear from you but sorry to say that at the moment, everyone who replied so far is paired up with a UK school. However, enquiries are still coming in so all is not lost yet! I am still hoping to hear from more UK schools and there may yet be one for you and your class. I am guessing the children are 10/11 years old if the 6th grade is the same as Year 6 in England? I will see what I can do and get back to you in a day or two - definitely before the end of the week. Best wishes, Marjorie

Hi Julia. I met a teacher today whose daughter, Katie, is 12 years old and is learning German. She wants to find a German penfriend so I thought of you and your class and then I wondered if your whole class might like to have a penfriend each then rather than just send postcards, they could carry on writing in English and German through the year. If you were agreeable I could find out from Katie’s teacher if that might be something that they could do. What do you think? Please let me know and I will put you both in contact with each other so you could begin this scheme. Best wishes, Marjorie

1 Like

Hi Marjorie,

it would be absolutely great if you could find out whether that teacher is interested in organizing some kind of penfriendship. My students would be so excited - even if it was just sending postcards back and forth once or twice!
I hope your project for World PostcardDay worked out well!
Best wishes
Julia

1 Like

Hi Julia. Have found a local school here in Somerset who is interested in an exchange of letters/postcards with you. However, it is a half term holiday in UK this week so I cannot contact them until 31 October. It’s in my diary to do on that day! So let’s hope this works out for you! I will be in touch asap. Have a good weekend. Marjorie

Hello Julia. World Postcard Day has been and gone but we had some wonderful results with many schools receiving their postcards and enjoying writing them. I have been in contact with Mr Lawrence Craig who teaches German language at Holyrood Academy in Chard, Somerset and I am hoping he will want to set up an exchange of cards and letters with your pupils so I am just waiting to hear from him. Would you be happy to let me have your email address so he can contact you direct eather than through these Postcrossing pages? Thanks. Best wishes, Marjorie

Hello Marjorie, thank you so much for all your efforts so far! Of course you may give Mr. Craig my email address: lem@englisches-institut.eu

If he’s interested in looking up my school, he can do so on this website: https://www.englisches-institut.de/gymnasium

What you set up for World Postcard Day sounds truly amazing and inspiring - it’s great that you had wonderful results!

Best wishes
Julia

Are you still accepting postcards for this project?
If so please send me the address and I’ll send you a few!

When would you need to know by? I’m teaching middle school art in the US.

Hi, Sorry, no. This project is over now. It was just for World postcard Day on Ocober 1 last year. But we will do the same in October this year - watch for our posts! Marjorie

1 Like