Scented/Fragrance Cards

Hi Folks,
Just the way we have scented/fragrance stamps, do we also have scented postcards in usage?
I just imagine smelling roses from a postcard on valentine’s day.
Thoughts!

Manu

4 Likes

I’m curious too!
I’ve pulled 2 profiles who requested a spray of perfume on the cards, and the recipients could still smell it, after the card’s postal journey! I’ve also found a few vintage scented letter sets kicking about in thrift shops.

2 Likes

I’m not aware of any postcards that are manufactured with a scent, but a spritz of “Tea Rose” perfume by Perfumers Workshop ought to survive a trip through the mail. It’s like a rose garden in a bottle!

If you’ll PM your address, I’ll send a belated Valentine scented with roses, as an experiment. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thats so nice of you. Sure :slight_smile: :innocent:

1 Like

I had seen an offer for scented cards - https://community.postcrossing.com/t/offer-scented-postcards-botanical-illustration/248318

3 Likes

I have cards where you can smell coffee if you scratch the card, but it’s not obvious otherwise and you can’t smell it without scratching it and being very close after.
I myself am sensitive to smells so I would hate to receive a card with an obvious scent. So I personally would definitely not send one if it wasn’t asked for.

6 Likes

I have lettersets and note sheets with hidden scratch spots with smell. I also once saw folded cards with flower smell but it smelled very artifical so I did not bother to buy them.

2 Likes

I know that some tourist shops in Greek islands sell these:

They smell like typical Greek scents (food/herbs). You just have to add a stamp and they’re ready to go!

5 Likes

@agapara I have seen such cards with lavendre!

Maybe they have been sent as official as well.

1 Like

yes, there are scented postcards. I bought some from the manga museum in Kyoto, Japan. The postcards are of the manga " Rose Of Versailles" so the cards are rose scented. they are not scratch and smell, so I guess they just sprayed perfume on the cards? I bought them for my own collection, so I don’t know if they can keep the scent after going through the postal system, but they smell pretty nice if kept in a collection. I can still smell the rose scent after about 8 years.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen scented card. It should be sent with caution because some people may have an allergy to certain fragrance.

I keep some of my cards in the same box I keep my essential oil, I sent a card to @kei17 and I’m surprised even after a month travelling the fragrance retains

2 Likes

Japanese noble people in Heian period, about 1000 years ago, used incense to transfer its scent to letter paper. They lived in Kyoto.
Pei’s story reminds me that :heart_eyes: 8 years! Just
amazing!! Thank you for telling about your special card, @Pei_CL :rose::sparkles:

Didn’t you keep your stickers and washi tapes in the same box, @catchycat ?
My nose tells me these scent is still coming from cards, washi tapes and paper sticker, but not from non-paper sticker and stamps.
(Now I feel like a police dog :dog:)
I hope your cards’ fantastic scent will remain for 8 yeasr as well :laughing: Thank you very much for your magical cards!

2 Likes

Stickers and washitapes are in different box. Maybe I should keep them in a “scented box” too :laughing:

I just heard about the method using incense from the Heian era, worth trying! A new method other than the cotton pads with drops of essential oil

2 Likes