Russian mail question (From U.S. to Russia)

Hello, This is my first post so if this question has already been asked recently please tag me on that post so I can reference to it.

I think this may be a 2 part question because answers may overlap with each other. A little background; this month I have been getting postcards from Russia (Yay!! :partying_face:) However, I sent out 6 cards to Russian friends since March and so far only one got returned to me as of last week. So my question to my U.S. Postcrossers is;

1- Is Russia allowed to mail into the U.S. (Through USPS) only, and not the U.S. to Russia?

2- Is mail getting stored somewhere for outgoing U.S. to Russia Correspondence? (None of my Russia friends have notified they got my postcard and yes, out of precaution I am writing my return address on the postcards to make sure they return back to me for accountability.

Thanks in advance for your reply. :grinning:

They can send us mail.

We cannot send mail to them.

4 Likes

The US has not accepted mail to Russia or Belarus since Mar 11, 2022 as a result of the war & airline restrictions.

You can check the The Postal Monitor gives an overview of mail disruptions around the world for current updates & the sources of the info which is updated regularly.

I wouldn’t assume mail is being held - I read somewhere it might be returned to you by USPS at cost but that was at the beginning of the war.

3 Likes

The best way to circumvent this issue at present:

Find an intermediary who is willing to forward your postcards. Most people are willing to do one or two out of the kindness of their hearts, but anything beyond that I’ve reimbursed for postage or “sweetened the deal” by sending unique cards, stamps, or other things they were after.

I think German post is of the more reliable in Europe, so if sending to Russia or Belarus at present, find yourself a cool German snd strike a deal

:us_outlying_islands::sunglasses::email::handshake::email::sunglasses::de: :arrow_right::sunglasses::ru:/:belarus: :love_letter:

11 Likes

I am in the UK which is still sending mail to Russia, please message if you need help.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your kindness. :blush:

1 Like

Judging by the number of frozen Russia-Germany postcards, it is now difficult to call German mail one of the most reliable.

Can you tell me what’s wrong with accepting postcards from Russia to the USA? Officially, they have to walk, but a large number of users have a lot of postcards in the status of traveling for more than a month.

1 Like

I believe the reason that postcards from Russia take a while is that there is no direct route without USA flights. Instead, Russian cards are routed via Turkey and Germany instead?

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’ve been receiving a good amount of cards and letters lately from Russia. Some of them actually in relatively quick travel times!

1 Like

I’m sending a card to Russia with United Nations stamps from Geneva. So i have to mail it to Switzerland for them to postmark.

1 Like

This USPS “temporary” service restriction (apparently still in effect in 2024) just caught me by surprise!

It looks like the United Nations has an independent Postal Administration and provides a relay mail service at each of its headquarters.
https://unstamps.org/about-unpa/postal-rates

Hoping they can accept mail for delivery to Russia from New York office with their U.S. dollar denominated stamps, and it doesn’t have to be sent via the Geneva or Vienna offices as someone else mentioned.

2 Likes

I’ve used Geneva for this, but NY is processed through USPS, so same restrictions.

No, United Nations doesn’t operate entirely by itself, they merely hand off outgoing mail to the national mail service in the country the office is located in. In the case of the New York office, all USPS postage rates and policies apply.
You can mail to Russia through the offices in Geneva or Vienna

Yes, I figured that out now. The UN postage rates are also identical to the local postal rates in the given country, including with extra services like registered mail.

That being so, I’m now interested to know if anyone has ever tried, instead of using UN Stamps and sending the letter to the corresponding UN Headquarters for dispatch to its final destination, just buying foreign postage stamps (ex: Deutsche Post stamps) and mailing the stamped letter to a local post office in that country? When they open it, I don’t see any better option for them than to just drop it in the outgoing mail letter box to continue its journey on their postage.

A Postcrosser in Detroit has been running an experiment since early January on various ways of sending mail to Russia. Read the thread here: Experiment: Delivery Times from USA to Russia via intermediary methods

5 Likes

I’m going visit my uncle in Germany later this year. Since postage stamps aren’t heavy and don’t take a lot of room in luggage, I might bring back German stamps for # postcards from Germany to Russia and stamps for # envelopes with 5 postcards from Germany to Russia, and offer the stamps here for US Postcrossers. I hope USPS starts shipping to Russia before I go to Germany, though.

(No requests in advance and no requests for specific stamps, please.)

2 Likes

I’ve removed a few posts from this topic, as we don’t want to host discussions about sending postcards “via country X” without the cards having postage from those countries. I hope you understand.

1 Like

Just an update, I can confirm that I was successful sending legal documents from USA to Russia via Registered Mail utilizing the United Nations Headquarters in Austria for mail relay, due to the continued suspension of all mail delivery services to Russia by USPS.

The process involved first buying Euro-denominated UN-postage stamps in USA from the UN Postal Administration (UNPA). In my case, I actually went into the UN Headquarters in New York to buy the stamps at their postal store in the visitor’s center (see photo). Yes, it is really possibly to get a visitor’s pass to enter the complex without a tour scheduled, just for this purpose! They opened late (was supposed to open at 9AM), but they did help me.

To prepare the letter for mailing from Austria, I weighed it and priced it out using the Austria Post website, including the extra fee for registered service, and added enough UN stamps totaling that amount onto a #9 letter envelope (see photo) to pay for it. UN stamps are big! But also the usual #10 envelopes are oversized by European standards. I also included with the stamped envelope a cover letter in German and English addressed to UNPA itself describing that I wanted the letter sent registered and included my Email address, plus a print-out of the website price calculation and service restrictions (only documents may be sent to Russia from Austria), and further a UN-stamped, self-addressed envelope for UNPA to use to provide the registered mail receipt and tracking number. Then I mailed all of this in an outer envelope by USPS First Class International Mail to the UNPA address in Austria.

About 2 weeks later UNPA received the letter and emailed me that as Austria Post does not allow sending registered mail using postage stamps, so they asked permission to send the documents to Russia in their own envelope instead, which I agreed. A few days later they emailed me the tracking number and registered mail receipt. They never used the stamped, self-addressed envelope, so I guess they kept that additional postage as an informal handling fee for doing all of this!

Tracking of the letter reveals it took about 2 weeks to get transferred to Moscow. More tracking details are available using Russia’s postal service website than Austria’s, though you need to use a VPN to access them for some reason. Finally, about a week later, the registered letter arrived at its destination and a notice was left with recipient to go to the local post office and sign for the article. The final envelope received (see photo) had my original addressing label transferred onto it.

The strangest part of all of this is that it actually cost me less to send a registered letter from USA to Russia via UNPA in Austria than it would cost to send it directly from USA if that were possible, because USPS wants over $20 additional now to send international registered mail, but Austria Post only charges about 4 euro additional.

Mission accomplished!

1 Like

1 Like

I tried shipping from my country to Russia via Germany and the mail got returned to me 20 days later :")