[RR] North American September 2022 Round Robin - The Labouring Over Postcards Edition - Closed!

#1 @cawindt great ship. Thanks Cant wait to hear your outlook on the Island. The historical aspect of it it rich and sad too.

#5 @SusanneA General Steam in Greece. Did you know my name is Greek? Another postcrosser pointed this out. :slightly_smiling_face:.thank you.

#23 @suatelier Keep Calm visit Montreal enjoy your trip. Thanks.

#13 @ladybug513 Anchor Line cruise liner. Wow looks like the Titantic. You seem busy these days . Thanks.

@alcott1 thank you for this Ghost crab Ellen. I really like it. Seems its watching me.

Thank you :blush: everyone.

#25 reporting

Received from
#1 @cawindt Ceremonial court dresses. I feel the same way. But back then I’m sure they thought they were beautiful.
#2 @CrimsonKing a very cute teddy bear card. New to my collection
#3 @Cruzin a very neat hippo card. Love it!
#4 @jenhart Saturday morning cartoons. we didn’t get cable until I was 19.
#5 @SusanneA a card full of fancy hats. Beautiful
#7 @mere5oh a neat Iowa card. I don’t mind getting my own state cards
#8 @Shesa-Renegade zoo crew from Montana. We got rain today too
#11 @alcott1 a cute raggedy Ann card. I would love to go to a raggedy Ann museum
#17 @Hazygirl a cute bear country card. I would love to visit this place
#19 @ellistrations a great gone with the wind card. I highly recommend seeing this movie
#22 @uconn a cute teddy bear card. I watched the first 2 seasons of stranger things. But never got to see the rest.

Thank you everyone for the great postcards and messages.

6 Likes

#22 uconn

#1 @cawindt love this cheese shoppe card. My sister is a math teacher and started at a new school district this year

#8 @Shesa-Renegade awesome turkey vulture! I’ve seen them perched in trees while hiking in CT

#13 @ladybug513 great skull card. I’m not familiar with this van Gogh. Your day that you described sounds perfect!

#16 @jacieslar thanks for this vintage card. We have some nice pick your own orchards in CT

#25 @sleepyhippo1 thanks for this art collage

#30 @RockyRoadTrip great vintage cemetery card. I haven’t had a chance to visit New Orleans yet. Thanks!

1 Like

#19 received

#10 @emotis - thank you! Choosing a new challenge is becoming more challenging, haha! I worked Labor Day, yay retail. It wasn’t too bad. I’ll definitely be enjoying my day off tomorrow though!

#25 @sleepyhippo1 - thank you! I’ve hardly been anywhere for more than a couple days. It’s so nice when you can spend more time somewhere than you spend traveling to get there and back. Glad you were able to make the trip!

SEPTEMBER 2022 NARR

Report 2 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

More September’s colors:

#02 @CrimsonKing: sent a delightful illustrated card featuring a few classic, eye-catching, neon sign designs that includes a brief history of neon signs of the west coast on the back. Love it. Neon signs need more attention for the art pieces they are and this card “gets it”. Thanks!

#03 @Cruzin: sent a wonderfully bucolic shot of the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, a private seminary in Deerfield, IL that serves as a “boldly evangelical training ground—for teachers, pastors, theologians, and counselors.” They forgot MAGA politicians and America’s other fringe elements! I love that it features a young man contemplating his reflection in a pond, clearly in violation of campus policy, sitting on top of a picnic table where people break bread! Still exists today; Scary indeed. Thanks!

#05 @SusanneA sent a 16-scene multi-view of the Great Smoky Mountains. This must be the king of the chrome multi-views! Contains several vistas from along the Appalachian trail including Clingman’s Dome and Newfound Gap. Interesting that the water stays so chilly. I am jealous that you get to hike there! Thanks.

#06 @Mikeyz1 sent a classic chrome view of the Best Western Marina Inn in the Laguna Beach area in CA. It’s a wide bookmark-sized card. Now the Dana Point Marina Inn. Great if you love a view overlooking a large marina! And it looks like the redwood sauna is still in action! Thanks.

#23 @Suatelier sent a beautiful Lantern Press view of the Great Wheel in Montreal. I never knew the city had one of these Ferris Wheels (of course I haven’t visited in years). 5 hour train ride? That’s nothing, try taking Amtrak from New York, it used to take 7 to 10 hours of brutally slow travel and innumerable stops! Thanks!

More delicious September cider can be found on my Flickr account.

All but 10 of my Sept. outgoing cards have been sent. Look out for yours!

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

#8 Shesa-Renegade here with my first report of received cards this month!

#1 @cawindt sends a celebration postcard of fireworks over the Smithsonian Institution Building in Washington D.C. I am so happy to hear that all is going well with your students…YAY!!

#4 @jenhart sends a very interesting card from Door County, Wisconsin. Your wedding story sounds a lot like mine, only different states (California, here).

#5 @SusanneA sends a handmade recipe card! This recipe sounds delicious and I might have to make it for an upcoming dinner potluck that I have been invited to. Thank you for this! I also love all of the trivia. You never know when you will need it…haha.

#11 @alcott1 sends a card of half a million (maybe a slight overstatement) seagulls on the beach in Navarre Beach, Florida. I hope that you will share with us your progress in the fiction writing course!

#17 @Hazygirl sends a card of a beach in New York. Oh, how I love beaches! Sad that it’s not quite this nice anymore, but I love the smell of the ocean and the sand between my toes.

#19 @ellistrations sends a card with the legend of the dogwood. I have never heard this and it’s very interesting. Thank you for letting me learn something new!

#22 @uconn sends a card with mom and calf humpback whales! I have been laboring on making a decision and your card has helped me! I hope that you had a fun time at the agricultural fair.

#26 @sarahaeyo sends a great card of an illustrated gecko. So adorable! Let me know if you need a cheerleader for your graduate degree! I have pom-poms!

To Receive 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30

3 Likes

#2–CrimsonKing–Double Kansas tornado–makes me glad we live in Illinois, doesn’t it? Although we’ve gotten a few tornadoes here, too.

#8–Shesa-Renegade–Bedrock geology of Illinois–Lots of limestone around here, many historic old buildings made of it.

#16–Jaciestar–Gambrel Barn–I love old barns! I’m always tempted to stop and take a picture of old barns when I pass them on the highway. Not many of them well-kept anymore.

#17–Hazygirl–Center of the Nation–I was surprised it was so far north. Very nice postcard.

#25–Sleepyhippo1–Sun and clouds–it’s that kind of a day here today–cool temperatures–my dog Duffy’s favorite kind of day.

Thank you all for the great postcards.

1 Like

Hi there! #27 @beatriceh reporting
#1@cawindt The card did survive! Thank you! I can’t imagine my cats ever being on a beach. They’d run away for sure.

#4 @jenhart Thanks for the cartoon card. Going back to watch things from our childhoods is always a risk. Some of my students did that with Disney movies and were absolutely horrified at the songs in those films. My mom never let me watch them growing up, and hearing them as an adult was very troubling.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade Thank you for the recipe card! What an interesting recipe this is. I’m not sure I would like it, but I’d certainly try it. I love trying new things and this seems like it could be a nice summer recipe.

#10 @emotis Ah, the Globe. What a great card. Thanks! Such an interesting building. And there’s so much detail here. Ann Arbor is certainly crowded with students now and I’m headed back into the office–which is on UM’s campus–for the first time since 2020. Fortunately, it’s just one day a week.

#19 @ellistrations Thank you for the birthday wishes. I loved the stickers!

Partial Nudity Below

#2 @CrimsonKing Thanks for this card, Lesly. It’s great. I have 6 days off of work for my birthday so I think I can manage to have at least as much fun as these two :wink:

#3 @Cruzin Oh, I love tattoos! It’s funny, I went to my profile to see if I’d written that there and realized I hadn’t. Great choice. Thanks so much! And love the Archie sticker!

Alrighty, that’s all for now. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

I think you’ve reported in the wrong RR, as you didn’t sign up for this one…

1 Like

Your #3 and #34 are not part of this RR.

#5 reporting cards received from
#4 @jenhart - A lovely postcard vintage card of our nation’s capital. You knew Dick Clark? Cool.
#11 @alcott1 - Ms. Liberty postcard. I would love to be able to see the Statue of Liberty some day.
#14 @dnrhott - A fun thrift shopping postcard.
#23 @suatelier - A Montreal viewcard. I’ve never ridden the train. Sounds like an adventure for sure.
#28 @TwoDoggies - A great Brave redheaded family card. I’ve seen the Hummells in many thrift stores. Maybe nobody collects them anymore. Not sure.

All fixed. Thanks.

1 Like

I can’t believe how many cards I have already received for the month. Thanks to:

#2 @CrimsonKing for the great card of the Jackson Brewery in New Orleans. I do drink beer, but hate IPAs, which is more than half of all beers in bars these days. Give me a good German or Czech beer any day. And I have never been to New Orleans at all. I really want to go in order to see the WWII Museum there.

#3 @Cruzin for the adorable cat card. I miss the postcards that the USPS used to sell in conjunction with new stamps series. When I first started postcrossing, they were still making those and people loved receiving them.

#4 @jenhart for the cool Door County card from Wisconsin. Have you visited there recently? I hear great things about it, and it’s not too far of a drive for us in Michigan. I hope your co-worker has recovered and is back to help!

#5 @SusanneA for the awesome NC map card. I love homemade ice cream. What flavours do you make?

#6 @mikeyz1 for the fabulous map card of Portugal. Love all the stamps!! Congrats on joining the NEA. We’re fellow union members now. Did they teach you the secret handshake?

#11 @alcott1 for the wonderful vintage cat card. How cool that the new car stamps includes your first car!

#14 @dnrhott for the great USA card. The school year has started off well! Thanks for asking. I like the giraffe sticker :smiley:

#15 @ad7yn for the spectacular Diego Rivera May Day in Red Square magazine cover. I just looked up what a world time watch is…and now I want one too! :laughing: In Asia, I have only been to China…twice. I was supposed to have gone to Vietnam in 2021, but COVID scuttled that trip.

#16 @jacieslar for the cute cat card. Yes! When I retire, I will also miss working with students, but I will NOT miss the rest of the job. It’s gotten increasingly harder to deal with all the administrative directives and increased work. No bears in our backyard, just lots of cats, squirrels and possums.

#17 @Hazygirl for the cool “grapes” card. I have been to SF once and NYC three times, but I certainly could spend some more time exploring there!

#19 @ellistrations for the great Civil War card. My highlight of the summer was my trip to Poland.

#22 @uconn for the wonderful WWI recruitment poster. Fortunately, my Austrian great-grandfather came to the US in 1909, so he didn’t have to fight in WWI for the Central Powers. Speaking of fighting for the “wrong side,” though, my 5x great-grandfather was a Hessian soldier who fought for England during the American Revolution. After the war, he settled in Quebec. Love the Motherwell stamp…so huge!

#23 @suatelier for the fabulous Montreal card. How cool to get a card written on Via Rail. It’s been a long time since I last rode Via Rail. It would have been back in 2002, I think, when I took a group of students to Montreal.

#25 @sleepyhippo1 for the wonderful Postcrossing card. I can say yes to all of the categories, so I guess I am an advanced postcrosser!

#26 @sarahaeyo for the cool WWI chocolate mold. I like the JFK Station cancellation! Best of luck with your masters!

#28 @TwoDoggies for the great Menin Gate card. I had never heard of this monument, but I have, of course, heard of the Battle of Ypres. I also love the sound of the beach :slight_smile:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip for the funny card from Częstochowa. The backdrop talks about this being a souvenir from the shrine, but why not actually use the actual shrine as the backdrop???

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of the awesome stamps as well.

5 Likes

The first update is completed!

So happy you love the card! I love his philosophy of murals on public space… how art should be accessible to everyone.

Vietnam is pretty neat! And if you do make it there, its just a bus ride to Cambodia! Please try to squeeze Angkor Wat in!

Reporting thread for #15. Thank you all! It’s been fun receiving a massive amount of happy mail!

#1 @cawindt So happy you have a great group of kids! I always pray for teachers everywhere. After homeschooling during the quarantine, I have found a deeper respect and appreciation for you guys! Have you read the Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris? Highly recommend!

#2 @CrimsonKing lol what a strange term huh…and love the contrasting card! Forest bathing is very similar to sun bathing but instead of the sun, you absorb the forest… In short, simply enjoying nature.

#3 @Cruzin yes, my first NG card! Thank you! Have you read Neverwhere? Love that book. But ultimate fave book of his is Art Matters.

#4 @jenhart wow… growing up in open space must have been so beautiful! Whenever I get overwhelmed, I visit a community farm and immediately my shoulders relax. And I love this architecture type of card! Now I want to collect all cities.

#5 @SusanneA love the recipe! I love persimmons! Every November, a neighbor opens up his home for persimmon picking. And go nuts. Have you read Tao of Pooh? It was my fave book as a child. And we have very similar taste in movies! Please watch American Underdog if you haven’t.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade you have my dream job. Many moons ago, all I did was scuba or skin dive… searching for the perfect beach like the Leo di Caprio movie. Thank you for all you do! Conservation matters, especially the reefs!

#9 @akap25 i enjoyed the Nightingale! Brought me to tears… I highly recommend A Women of No Importance or The Rose Code. There are more heroes hiding inside people all around us. It’s like like what Metroman said in Megamind the movie: “if there’s bad, good will rise up against it.”

#10 @emotis There’s nothing like a homegrown tomato! Lucky you for having a summer bounty! Can’t wait for the baking season to begin. And I love fall veg as well. Bring on the gourds!

#16 @jacieslar so true… so many books, so little time. I also considered going back to school to get the same degree. It would be a dream job for me! And thank you for a beautiful card. I always loved fairies as a child.

#17 @Hazygirl I love the lions at the central library and what it represents! So thankful your city will have a renovated library for all to enjoy!

#19 @ellistrations thank you! It is now one of my faves as well. I love shelfie card and yours comes with glitter. Fabulous! I hope you get a vacay soon!

#22 @uconn thanks for my second shelfie card! I kind of shot myself on the foot with my TBR pile. Our local library had a large sale on used books for $1 for a full bag. And I went nuts, hoarder meets black friday shopping mania. Here’s to more time for reading!

@suatelier i hope you and your fam had a wonderful time at the party! I love celebrations if all kinds especially love themed ones!! I’m surprised beaver tails desserts didn’t make the list. Is it only in certain cities in Canada?

4 Likes

Three more cards found their way to my mailbox today. Thank you to:

#9 @akap25 for the amazing Fannie Lou Hamer card! She’s absolutely one of my favourite figures in the Civil Rights movement. You chose well! Great stamps as well. Spending time with wine, a dog and postcards seems pretty ideal to me!

#13 @ladybug513 for the great World Trade Center card and Heroes stamp from the aftermath of the attack. I hope you enjoy your trip to Long Island.

#18 @LaurenceB for the fabulous street art cat card. I love street art. Wow! It seems like you just gave birth! Of course, if you were in the States, you would have returned to work months ago now. Some day we’ll catch up to the rest of the world. Awesome stamps!

Thanks to all three of you :smile:

1 Like

#22 uconn

#11 @alcott1 ‘two sensational music machines’ an encore banjo & Mills violano virtuoso double violin. Thanks for this vintage card

#12 @Yarn-Lady they had this at the supermarket deli I worked in, I’d say it wasn’t a big seller in CT. I don’t remember trying it. Great card

#18 @LaurenceB great stamps on this vintage llama card. Thanks! I saw some llamas this weekend

#28 @TwoDoggies I went to another fair this weekend, very cool. The historical society gave out free postcards of Bethlehem CT. Last year I bought some. This year I didn’t want to take too many :joy: they’ve had them for years and want to get rid of them it seems. Great vintage cemetery card, thanks

#15 @ad7yn a nice view of London Bridge with a nice 3d dino stamp and a drawing of Veronica for me​:smile: so nice well done. Yes i have a collection of them too. Do you still keep in contact with your uncle? So my favorites are Hotdog and Veronica. Thank you :blush:.

#12 @Yarn-Lady nice blooming pink flowers. What kind of fruits you get? Thank you.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sunset in NJ. Yes summer days are long gone. No dont like winter. Thanks.

#19 ellistrations

#6 @mikeyz1 - thank you! I’m not even sure I have a single ladder in my selection, haha! Love these beautiful owls.

#9 @akap25 - thank you! So happy to know another that truly enjoys white rice without tiring of it! Our perfect days for writing lately are the rainy days, with a nap in the middle.

#13 @ladybug513 - thank you! I love boogie boarding! That’s all I did while growing up in Hawaii, I never learned to surf… though as I’m older, I wish I had.

#16 @jacieslar - thank you! This is beautiful! Maybe next year we’ll go apple picking, something we’d have to plan for. It’s been crazy here lately, though work has been dull. I’ve never had homemade applesauce, that sounds tasty!

#28 @TwoDoggies - thank you! It’s been a few years since I’ve been to the Renaissance Festival here. It’s not TOO far of a drive, just always working the weekends. Last we went, it was so hot and dusty. Will need to go back again one year.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - thank you! Perhaps it is the drama he, himself, is escaping from?

2 Likes