[RR] North American Round Robin June 2024 - The Sunshine in the Mailbox Edition - Closed

#22 uconn

#10 @AtlasPostal Ohio State Reformatory where Shawshank Redemption was filmed. Cool! Thanks

3 Likes

#2 reporting

#1 @Bakersmom Thank you Sharon for this cute dog card! :dog2: I miss having a dog. We just got back from vacation actually, went to visit my family in Colorado and I sent my cards from there. :smiley: Bermuda, eh? Don’t visit the triangle, we still want to receive cards from you. :smiley:

#10 @AtlasPostal Thank you Eli for this donkey card! :smiley: I watch a video last night about a newborn one was rejected by his mother and they’re raising him in the house since they have to feed him around the clock. They also bring him to the fields to run around and interact with the other animals. :blush:

#11 @sarahgrab1 Thank you Sarah for the 20th card and a cute one at that! :fox_face: Tea with a magpie. When I was in Colorado, I went with my sister to visit the Celestial Seasonings facility, it was my second time, but it’s still cool. :smiley:

#14 @GeoJosh Thank you Josh for this street art card from New Orleans! :trumpet: I was born there and our parents moved us to Colorado for a better education when I was just 6yo, so Colorado is home to me. How was kayaking with the alligators? :crocodile: Did they teach you how to call them too? Probably best if you didn’t do it while in a kayak with them swimming near you, hehe.

#24 @roxy Thank you Brenda for this funny cat card! I had this book, but sent all my cards out, so when I receive one, it puts a huge smile on my face. :smiley:

Thank you for the book recommendations! :smiley:

4 Likes

Updated!!

#19 received

#5 @carolreader - thank you! So happy to have this card in my album! First ever manatee to be born in captivity, so neat! My scanner is having color issues lately… it doesn’t do my postcards any favors, haha!

#10 @AtlasPostal - thank you! How fun to be in the place where filming was made.

#25 @4kids2pay4 - thank you! Sometimes I wish I lived on the beach just to have many days like this one.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - thank you! Exciting when you can find a great hole in the wall sort of place.

4 Likes

NARR June 2024
Report #1

#01 @BakersMom: Yes… “For safe, rapid, convenient crossing of the Niagara River, use the Peace Bridge” claims the descriptor on this beautifully-framed linen card. Fun fact, you can walk across this bridge for free, but you have to have a passport on you. Great story about your dad working for the racing commission and going to Saratoga in the summer – now that’s a summer job! Thanks!

#02 @CrimsonKing: sent a shot of the board game, Hopalong Cassidy. Yes, I played a lot of board games as a kid: Risk, Life, Clue, Trouble, Stratego, Battleship, and occasionally Monopoly. This one was a little before my time, but my Dad used to reference the movies. Thanks!

#04 @JenHart: sent a classic neon sign featuring Philippe’s, a Los Angeles staple since the 1920s serving its signature French Dip sandwich (and yet everyone obsesses over In-and-Out Burger!) Yes, I hear you about the travel addiction. But you are wise to save up for something special. Even a short trip these days can bust the budget! Good luck!

#05 @CarolReader: sent an interesting (non-touristy) card from her recent trip to Hawaii. It features the origin legend of Pele, who was guided in a canoe by her older brother (who was in the form of a shark) to Hawaii. Yeah, if you want to get the REAL Hawaiin history, in an easily digestible way, I recommend Sarah Vowell’s sadly funny Unfamiliar Fishes. Thanks!

#08 @Shesa-Renegade: sent a historic shot of Buffalo Bill’s Irma Hotel in Cody, WY. Come to the town I named after myself and stay at the hotel named after my daughter. Amazingly, this hotel is still open today where rooms fetch about $225 a night! Enjoy your time off (as fast as you can!) Thanks!

#11 @SarahGrab1: sent a card showing the Crypitds specifically of New York. Great find! I had only heard of a couple of these, so this was a real eye-opener to the creatures allegedly in my own backyard! Thanks!

#16 @Jacieslar: sent a Hawaii card (my second of the month – and both have been unique ones!) An illustration featuring hulu dancers and a diamond framing of Diamond Head. And haha the hulu dancing dog sticker you added just happened to end up adjacent to a Dog Bite Awareness cancellation they gave this card! Thanks!

#17 @YoiYumTewa: sent the classic LBJ for the USA poster. I once wore a button of this on my apron when I worked at a deli and got shouted down by a customer who said LBJ had killed his brother (for sending him to Vietnam) and I should be ashamed of myself. Meanwhile, I’m sure the same jerk voted for the Bushes, Reagan, and Trump! Yes, thanks for filling in for me last minute in May’s NARR. Now you see the burden I bear! Haha. Thanks!

#19 @Ellistrations: sent a great card of the White Witch that haunts Rose Hall in Jamaica. I‘ve been to Rose Hall and heard the story, but they didn’t have a postcard of it! This one is terrific - with the half-exposure! Part of the “authentic” Jamaica scenes series. Ha! I’ll check out the Spirit is Willing seeing as the new horror films are too visceral for me! Thanks!

#22 @Uconn: sent a movie poster to the transgender “before you were born” classic, Glen or Glenda. Dismissed at the time for the cheesy Ed Wood sexploitation film that it was, it’s since garnered a modicum of respect for “boldly” addressing topics like transvestitism and gender reassignment. Especially with Ed Wood, the infamous director and himself a cross-dresser, taking on the lead role. Trust me, you haven’t missed anything by not seeing it! I caught in college at an indie cinema art house. It doesn’t do the complex topic any real favors! Thanks!

#25 @4Kids2Pay4: sent a shot of the Nickerson Farms restaurant in Newton, Iowa. Started by a disgruntled Stuckey’s franchise owner, the small mid-western chain was known for hosting an active, glass-encased beehive in their gift shops that sold honey from it. The side structure protected gas pumps (and motorists) from the elements. Thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies: sent a classic American Postcard Company dig at Reaganomics. I actually had (and have sent this card) back in the ‘80s. Thanks for getting it back into my hands! Hope you have more fun in your “pool” this summer! Thanks!

Thanks, everyone!

All my June cards have been sent.

Rocky Road Trip #30

9 Likes

#5 reporting:

#2 @crimsonking – Oops! I missed National Donut Day! That’s Ok, I don’t need the calories. I can just look at your card and imagine. Thanks! My favorite kind of donuts are fry cakes – cake donuts that are crispy outside, with no icing. They’re hard to find.

#6 @mikeyz1 – Great view of the Massachusetts State House in Boston – thanks! I was last in Boston in 2009, when I ran the marathon. I was too distracted before, and too exhausted after, to notice much of the city.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade Thanks for the view of lava from the Kilauea eruption in 2008. That’s the volcano I visited in April (hiked around the rim and down into the crater). It wasn’t erupting then – all I saw of volcanic activity were sulfur banks and steam vents. Kilauea had a small eruption last week, but it was small and in an obscure area.

#11 @sarahgrab1 Here’s a card from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that I’ve not seen before. It combines two of my favorites – a volcano in the park and a native bird, the ‘Io hawk. I love it – thanks!

#17 @yoiyumtewa Classic Jimmy Stewart – what’s not to love? Thanks!

#22 @uconn – A vintage view of Crater Lake National Park, complete with scalloped edges. Thank you! I read “The Three Body Problem” in 2017 and loved it. I’ve read the whole trilogy. And I loved the TV show.

#25 @4kids2pay4 Mount St. Helens, in a calmer moment. Thanks! I had to look up when the big eruption occurred – 1980. Crazy that you got fallout all the way to Arkansas. But I’m waiting to see if we get smoke from Canadian wildfires this year, like we did last year.

#28 @TwoDoggies – Great card to commemorate the 2024 cicada invasion. But they’re not coming to Ohio this year. Did I really want to know that cicada eyes do not digest, if eaten? Ewwww. I love the card, though. Thanks.

4 Likes

#24 repor
ting

#2 @crimsonking sent a fantastic card showcasing Oklahoma’s Park-O-Tell - coffee shop, garage, motel - it has it all!

#4 @jenhart sent a fun card of nostalgic 50s images that includes some of my favourite things - Barbie, Elvis, records and McDonald’s!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent an awesome Elvis card for his July 4, 1956 show at Russwood Park in Memphis. I love it! I’m so close to 500 unique Elvis cards in my collection! Thank you for helping me get there!

#19 @ellistrations sent a great illustration of a Cafe Bustelo coffee can filled with flowers. There was a local market vendor here who specialized in plants in recycled cans - lots of beer cans,lol. Great way to reuse.

#28 @twodoggies sent a great H&M Fashion Against Aids card featuring German band Tokio Hotel. Edgy style! Fun fact - one of the founding members is now married to Heidi Klum.

4 Likes

#3 received

#1 @Bakersmom Sun! Bernese Mountain dog sticker!!!

#2 @CrimsonKing Hot Air Balloons! Hope you had a nice visit!

#5 @carolreader Great Hawaiian legend card! peel searches for a home!

#7 @nursegarry Too funny wig ad!! Great card!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade Great Pride month card!! The storms were horrible! Hope your friend has an easy time getting everything fixed!

#10 @AtlasPostal I love looking for postcards at antique stores!

#11 @sarahgrab1 Love this card! And it fits my challenge perfectly!

#16 @jacieslar Hawaii!! Love it there!

#17. @YOIYUMTEWA Rainbow!! We had a lot of moisture here this winter and now everything is growing like crazy.

#22 @uconn Great rainbow house!! I didn’t know about those presorted stamps.

#25 @4kids2pay4 Great flying contraption!! Good take on paint!

#26 @sarahaeyo Flying Contraption! We had a neighbor who was dating a Blimp pilot! They did a flyover of the neighborhood one time!

#27 @tia272 Great card!! Haven’t paid much attention to the Olympics - but might watch this summers!

#28 @TwoDoggies Flying Contraptions! We have one great day, then the next is gray. June Gloom!

Thank you all for the great cards - my challenge cards, and of course the wonderful messages!

11 Likes

#17 has received

#24 @roxy Cistercian Abbey in Wachock Poland. Built in 1200s. Wow! No real plans made for the summer. Playing it by ear

1 Like

#12 reporting the following are going in tomorrow’s mail: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 16, 22, 25, & 30.

Still to send 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29.

2 Likes

#12 reporting first receipts!

#2 @CrimsonKing Love it, Lesly! Great old crumbling building.

#4 @jenhart ha ha!! This lady is so weird! You win! I have been planning a trip to Charlotte to check out the beer scene. Hopefully this fall!

#7 @nursegarry love the gargoyles, I almost sent this one out last week. Love it when that happens! Gargoyles were built for practical purposes to channel rainwater away from roofs, and the designs were meant to ward off evil.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade thanks for the great bbq card – I’m a fan of vinegar-based bbq sauce. What about you?

#9 @WrenAtTheBeach man, this old abandoned equipment is FANTASTIC. So, I like a lot of different beer styles. I love a good hazy IPA, American barleywines, and Japanese rice lagers. I tried a lot of great beer in Ireland!

#11 @sarahgrab1 ha ha, this cat is great! He has attitude like my Rosie!

Thank you all!!

5 Likes

#21 BeachyBlonde
You all are so fast! I have received so many cards already! I’ll start sending mine out this week!

#1 @Bakersmom Thank you for the lovely Richmond skyline postcard! I love this style! How neat that you all have been here a bit!
#4 @jenhart Thank you for the Oregon coastline postcard.
#7 @nursegarry Thank you for the fun LEGO chicken postcard! It’s so cool that you have chickens!!
#8 @Shesa-Renegade Thank you for the mail postcard! I love it! Good luck with the afghan!
#9 @WrenAtTheBeach Thank you for the PawPaw postcard! I have a completely full calendar this month! I don’t know what I was thinking! haha
#10 @AtlasPostal Thank you for the interesting Greetings from Ohio postcard. How fun that you got to see the eclipse in a special place!
#11 @sarahgrab1 Thank you for the wonderful mail postcard! I love it!! I’m going to have to look into ordering some!
#16 @jacieslar Thank you for the epic Hawaii postcard! I’m so jealous of your time there!
#17 @YOIYUMTEWA Thank you for the pretty Niagara Falls postcard.
#19 @ellistrations Thank you for the adorable cat boxed set postcard! I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get started on holiday writing! I doubt I’ll have time this year! haha
#22 @uconn Thank you for the le temple postcard! I will have to check out that show! I’ve been watching the early Twilight Zone episodes! haha
#25 @4kids2pay4 Thank you for adding to my Women in Science collection! I hope you have had nicer weather this week!
#26 @sarahaeyo Thank you for the Maya Lin postcard! Thank you for sharing why she is special to you!
#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the lovely beach postcard! I’ve been trying to make it to any beach this summer. So far nothing has panned out!

10 Likes

#29 - Reporting my first round of postcards!

#1 @Bakersmom - Thank you Sharon for the postcard of Blue-Footed Booby birds! Reading about their mating ritual and how the bluer the feet, the tastier the food they eat is just wild. I don’t know what kind of science that is (biology??), but that’s just amazing! I love the pug stickers, also!

#2 @CrimsonKing - Thank you Lesly for this postcard of an adorable pig from Fair Oaks Farms! I would love to go on a pig adventure! So so cute!

#4 @jenhart - Thank you Jen for this postcard “I Need More Space”! I don’t really have summer plans either. There are some local festivals and street fairs I want to go to, but that’s about it!

#5 @carolreader - Thank you Carol for this postcard of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii! I might be too afraid to hike on a volcano. Even if it is not erupting right now, the time I go on a hike would be the time it decides to erupt again! :laughing:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you René for this postcard of the Fords dancing at a state dinner! It’s fun to see people letting loose like this. Yes, how can we get invited to a presidential state dinner!?

#10 @AtlasPostal - Thank you Eli for this postcard from Richland Carrousel Park! I’ve never seen carrousel with two Rs but my spell check isn’t saying it’s wrong, so I guess I learned something new today! I’ve never been here, but it looks neat!

#16 @jacieslar - Thank you JoAnne for this postcard of Hula Dancers in Hawaii! I’m glad to hear you are having a great time in Kauai! I am not a big beach person, but I would love to listen to the waves as I relax in a hammock or something!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA - Thank you Rick for this postcard of Liberace! The description on the card says he is about to fly 35 feet in the air, and boy, do I need to see this! :laughing: I don’t know much about him, but he sure looked like a fun time!

#19 @ellistrations - Thank you for this postcard of an adorable pig getting fed milk by some mice! I also like how the “Dog Bite Awareness” postmark is on this side for posterity. :laughing: I love the pug sticker too! I have no idea when my HS reunion is. The 10th reunion was a bust, with maybe 4 people showing up. Better luck at the 20th, I guess! :rofl:

#22 @uconn - Thank you James for this postcard of Amy Pond from Doctor Who! I would also love to see postcards for the newer Doctors and companions! I am enjoying the new episodes, but I need to rewatch them to let them sink in. I am a fan of Ncuti so far!

#26 @sarahaeyo - Thank you Sarah for this postcard “Choose Love”! I haven’t done much for Pride Month. I am going to paint my nails rainbow today. Last week or so my friend and I hung out outside a sold out Pride event to listen to Chappell Roan, which was probably the highlight of my month! :rainbow_flag:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you Rocky for this postcard of Air Force One! Oh gosh, I wonder if it’s a Boeing! :laughing: Gotta be nice to fly in style. I got to tour a few former presidential planes at the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly or it may have been the Air Force Museum in Dayton. I keep mixing them up because I visited both within a few months of each other!

12 Likes

#22 uconn

#1 @Bakersmom I’ve never been to Pepe’s! I’ve had a lot of New Haven pizza though. I’m not a fan of waiting in line

#27 @tia272 nice! Now I’m just waiting for more episodes on Netflix! Thanks for this underwater card

#28 @TwoDoggies cool underwater card, thanks!

4 Likes

#2 reporting

#6 @mikeyz1 Thank you Mike for this cute little black bear, they’re adorable! :bear: I wrote down your suggestion and loved your description of it. :smiley:

#18 @LaurenceB Thanks Lau for this bee cup card! How was the first pool session of the season? We don’t have a pool, but we almost bought one with a pool and then decided we didn’t want that with the upkeep/maintenance of it, just stay inside with the a/c, haha.

#23 @mon23 Thank you Monica for the donut shop card! :doughnut: Donut day was just a few days ago, yum! :yum: I wrote down your suggestions for books, the first two seem funny. :smiley:

#27 @tia272 Thank you Tia for this bee street art! :art: Wow, you’re a vivacious reader, I tend to be a slower reader. When I was younger, I trained myself to fall asleep by reading, so now I have to undo that, haha, messed myself up. :grin:

#28 @TwoDoggies Thank you Terri for this blocks of chocolate card! :chocolate_bar: Chocolate sounds delicious right now, love some Belgian chocolate! :smiley: Love the book suggestions!

Thank you everyone for the book suggestions!! My suggestion to you is “The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue” by V.E. Schwab. :smiley:

4 Likes

Received from #18 @LaurenceB

The pool is def on my agenda this week. Love the card and the fashion stickers!

Received from #23 @mon23

Love the green and buffalo card. The first wild buffalos I have seen were in South Dakota! What a treasure we have in our National Parks. Thanks for your kind words.

Received from #28 @TwoDoggies
Thanks for the card from Scotland - are you a fan of Outlander? They remind me of the standing stones. Also, thanks for the tip on the Isle of Fohr - so thoughtfull

Received from #10 @AtlasPostal

Wow you designed this - so great.
I’m cooking up my second tattoo in my head now.

Received from #29 @tia272

Love the Aussie card - my fav dog
I have never made jam, but sounds so yummy!!

Received from #3 @Cruzin

Thanks so much for the Vogue card, she is fabulous. I hope your gray skies have passed.

Again thanks to you all @Bakersmom #1

5 Likes

#25 reporting cards received from #10 and #14.

#10 @AtlasPostal sent the Blue Ridge Parkway card, what a wonderful view! I hear you, it is fascinating how when shopping for postcards and you see a certain type, how many postcrossers come to mind.

#14 @GeoJosh sent Thousand Islands International Bridge. Great color on this vintage card as well. Hope you enjoy your vacation without the kiddos! Have a wonderful summer.

Thanks to you both for the great cards!

4 Likes

Sent cards # 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 16, and 24

1 Like

#11 updating:

I was away from home for a few days and came back to a filled mailbox!

I received from…

#1 @Bakersmom - a beautiful bird. Thank you for the book recommendations! I just bought The Measure but haven’t read it yet. I will definitely add the others to my list,

#2 @CrimsonKing - a Paris advertisement card. Happy June to you as well!

#4 @jenhart - a beautiful outdoor scene. Love the little bunny hiding behind the tree. Thank you for the book recommendations of your favorite books! I will add them to my list as I haven’t read them yet.

#5 @carolreader - a pretty Kona Coffee card. I’m glad you had an amazing time in Hawaii. I’ve never been there! Maybe one day!

#7 @nursegarry - a “Hurts All Around” card. You’re right, it’s definitely odd but it makes one question things which is what art is supposed to do.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - a cool Birch Aquarium card. I love the octopus. Thank you for the book recommendations! I love Kristin Hannah. I have The Women but haven’t read it yet! It’s on my list next!

#9 @WrenAtTheBeach - a cool beach card. Thank you for the book recommendations! I liked Rock Paper Scissors! I haven’t heard of the others so will definitely check them out!

#10 @AtlasPostal - a cool carousel horse. I love carousels. I love how they are all so different and the designs on each animal is so neat!

#14 @GeoJosh - a cool lady! Thank you for the book recommendations! I have read the Midnight Library but not the Thursday Murder Club. I will have to check it out!

#16 @jacieslar - a beautiful sunset of Hawaii. I bet it’s beautiful there! The leprosy colony book sounds interesting.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA - a charlottes web card. Love! Thank you for all the author recommendations! I will be checking them all out tonight!

#18 @LaurenceB - a cute fruit card. We planted a bunch of fruit trees and berries this year. Smoothie bowls sound good!

#19 @ellistrations - a cool wave. I hope you had a wonderful time at your 15 year reunion!

#22 @uconn - a cool cow card. I have seen the 3 body problem advertisements but haven’t watched it yet. A lot of people say it’s good.

#26 @sarahaeyo - a card called Reading Women. Thank you for the book recommendations! I will definitely check them out!

#28 @TwoDoggies - a Lou paper card. I love her artwork. Thank you for the author recommendation! I have read anything by Robert R. McCannon. I will definitely check him out.

I have received 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 26, 28

12 Likes

#2 reporting

#4 @jenhart Thank you Jennifer for the light blue card with dolphins! :dolphin: Thank you also for the book recommendation, it’s on the ever growing list from this group, hehe.

#5 @carolreader Thank you Carol for this Hawaiian card! Two weeks in Hawaii, did you fall in love and want to stay? :smiley: Thank you also for the book recommendation!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you Rocky for the light blue card! Yes, there’s sometimes a fine line between regular and light colors and also people see colors differently, such as myself and my husband. I say it’s indigo, he says purple. :woman_shrugging: :laughing: Wrote your book on the list that’s ever growing!

3 Likes