[RR] North American October 2021 Round Robin - The Spooktacular Card Edition - Closed!

@YOIYUMTEWA yes! And come during Fiesta! The weather is cooler, the skies are beautiful and though there are tourists in town, there is still less than over the summer!

2 Likes

Hi @CrimsonKing ! This image is looking up inside the balloon called Infinitude which is owned and operated by The Fractal Foundation. After my flight on that particular day, my balloon landed and shortly after we landed, Infinitude landed just feet from us in the field. Since I mainly crew for hot air balloons (as in, I don’t fly as much as I crew), I went over to the Infinitude balloon and helped them until their crew could arrive. This is when I took this photo up the envelope. You’re looking at the crown of the balloon, and it’s what you would see if you were in the basket!

2 Likes

#25 jocrafts here, reporting:

#1 @cawindt a lovely camping in Michigan postcard! What a nice, serene scene. I agree that writing cards is a nice reprieve from the challenge of the week.

#4 @jenhart a lovely “Black Women Matter” postcard; thank you! I love how we switched where we ended up living, but I agree! I’ve even been getting my hubbie to admit to liking (not quite loving yet) the Midwest.

#9 @mere5oh a beautiful southwest meetup postcard! I love the design, Meredith! I also recognize so many of the usernames :slight_smile:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip a GREAT Greta Thunberg postcard! True that it climate change is the real horror story. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

#1 @cawindt Cute Halloween card with pumpkins afraid of a black cat! I hope your friends enjoyed the Balloon Fiesta! Hope you get to come down and enjoy it soon, too!
#3 @Cruzin LP Dia de Muertos card! Thank you! I hope you’ve been able to locate all your cards (& tax stuff) now!
#6 @mikeyz1 Great Buddha - made from earthenware - card! Thank you! Thank you for the chant!
#8 @Shesa-Renegade “They did the Mash…” Halloween card! Thank you! And, I love this month’s quote!!! :rofl:
#10 @emotis World Postcard Day card! Thank you!!
#12 @teddypostcrossing Amelia Calavera card! Gorgeous! Thank you! Definitely go to Japan! I would love to visit Japan one day, too. Also, so great that you’re still connected to your past students! We are as well, and enjoy watching them build their lives!
#14 @dnrhott Gorgeous beach shot! Wish I was there! I’ve been wanting to get to a beach for so many years now. One day…! Thank you!
#22 @uconn GIANT postcard - Calavera of the Revolutionary! LOVE it, Thank you!!! I also really love the stickers you added! Are you happy to be back in the office? We have 3 dogs, but mine specifically is a giant goofball, and when he even hears the slightest anything outside, will wake me up to go out. And, most times, when we get to the door, he’ll just stand in the doorway, then turn around and run back to bed. Ugh! :rofl:
#30 @RockyRoadTrip “Halloween Witches and Spooks are about- They will grab you - nab you - If you don’t look out!” Thank you for the cute Halloween card! Haha, I saw a meme today that someone posted to Facebook that gave the new Michael Myers movie 3 stars because it didn’t include any ‘Groovy’ or ‘Do I make you horny baby?’ lines! :rofl:

To Receive: 20, 21, 25, 27, 28, 29

4 Likes

#12 reporting-Three excellent cards arrived this afternoon:

#1 @cawindt~Jelly fish are always a concern! This “Time Out” Michigan card is so inviting! I agree-enjoying nature and just listening is really essential, yet we just don’t do it enough. I have never been to Michigan. I have always wanted to go on a Lake vacation! Thank you!

#29 @melvnoble~This mixed media piece is just awesome-all the parts must have been collected over time by the artist. Alexander Calder created this in 1944! I love seeing those details of art! The buggy washi tape is very spooky… and cute! Thank you!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip~Thank you for this sweet vintage witch Trick or Teat card. I am not sure about the trick-r-treaters this year. We have a pretty mixed neighborhood in terms of people with young kids and people with older or no kids. I am guessing they will be coming out to ring doorbells as long as the weather is good! I will have my jack-o-lanterns ready! Oh, and candy too!

Thanks very much!

#15 NittanyLionRI reporting:

#29 @melvnoble - thank you for the pretty winter scene. I agree, love snow, hate driving in it.

Me again #27

#1 @cawindt very lovely and peaceful looking scene. Thank you.
#21 @Beachyblonde Nightmare before Christmas is my all time favorite movie. Love the Halloween card. Thank you.

2 Likes

#13 here with cards from:

#3 @cruzin – a recipe for Old South Pecan Pie. I must attempt to make one of these. I love a good pecan pie. One of my favorites! In my endeavors to rid our house of “stuff,” some of my Halloween decorations have gone to my daughters. Not all, but some! My witch, Sinead, still terrorizes greets trick-or-treaters every year. Sinead is a mannequin we inherited when our neighbors moved. She has been our resident witch ever since (not including me)!

#6 @mikeyz1 – a fairy tale book illustration urging me to “Be a romantic.” Well, if a knight riding a white horse carried me away to his castle, I guess I could be! I must admit I caved when our youngest, our daughter Sarah, cried and cried when I left her at preschool. I took her out and gave her another year at home. She was fine the following year. This same daughter now leaves her Josephine, who will be 2 in January, at preschool. She cried the first two weeks or so, but now goes in without a peep. However, when she sees Sarah at the end of her day, she carries on as if she had been in prison. The teachers say she has a fun time. Little stinker!

#9 @mere5oh – Thank you so much for the Postcrossing meetup card from the 6th Annual Southwestern Meet-Up featuring all the hot air balloons! And, what a terrific cancellation mark! I’m sure you had a wonderful time. I love meetups and am having severe withdrawal!

#12 @teddypostcrossing – Thank you very much for the cute Halloween card. Although I can find something to like at all four seasons of the year, I really do like Autumn and all that October brings in the way of celebrating the season. I do like Halloween and all it entails. Great stickers and washi!

#22 @uconn – Thank you for the painting by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio featuring an angel tending to Saint Francis of Assisi. A visit to a museum is always an enjoyable way to spend the day. We used to take our kids to the museums in Philadelphia when they were young. I must admit that their favorite rooms were the ones filled with armor and mummies. More recently, our grandson wanted me to load the mummies we took him to see on my phone’s lock screen. I declined his request!

#25 @jocrafts – Diamond Head Lighthouse on Oahu. What a beautiful sunset sky. Thank you! It sounds like you had an outstanding time in Hawaii. I imagine if you went back your days would be filled with still more new experiences. Jealous!

#27 @KeKet – Thank you for the very creepy, burning pumpkin and the great washi tape. Two of my granddaughters ages 2 and 4 are enamored of Jack! They have not watched the movie but have seen the one song which popped up on YouTube. All four of our young granddaughters ages five and under are crazy about skeletons and the Day of the Dead. Go figure! Puccini & Verdi play ball. Now that is funny!

6 Likes

#16 reporting:

#6 @mikeyz1 sent a statue card from ancient Rome. I love it, and glad that she notices the snake climbing up the back of her leg. Yeesh! I’d be freaking out, lol. Thank you for the card! :smiley:

#29 @melvnoble sent a reproduction of a 1910 card of a church in Poland, Ohio. The church looks beautiful on the outside and I’m sure it’s just as beautiful on the inside as well. :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

#5 reporting:

#1 @cawindt – A gorgeous Michigan sunset, and great vintage stamps. Thanks! So much fun to stumble upon a stash of new postcards! I was in West Virginia last week and found cards I hadn’t seen in Ohio for years - many of the same cards, with the name “West Virginia” substituted for “Ohio”. No matter! I came home with a stack.

#6 @mikeyz1 – I’ve been going through all my “art” postcards received (scanning them to Flickr), and I really appreciate all the great ones you’ve sent me. I really liked this surrealistic painting for “Crime and Punishment”. Thanks!

#11 @PostAddy – “Keep it Creepy”! I love this advice! From a pumpkin head! What a great Halloween card! Thanks!

#12 @TeddyPostcrossing – More Halloween fun - ghosts! Thanks! Your “Run Across America” sounds interesting to me. My hiking club has a challenge to cover 1,000 miles this year. Walking is just fine. As I’ve gotten older, I walk more than I run.

#14 @dnrhott – An old-fashioned Halloween card. Thanks! I do indeed love the cool fall air – and the leaves. But they haven’t changed color much yet. Fall is my favorite season.

#15 @NittanyLionRI – Thank you for the Wyoming Jackalope. I have a small collection of postcards that I call “imaginary animals”, where this will fit perfectly.

#21 @BeachyBlonde – Happy World Postcrossing Day to you, too! Thanks! I sent out some postcards that day (including this RR), but nowhere near what you did.

#24 @roxy – A different World Postcrossing Day card - thank you! A bridge named after your mother-in-law – wow!

#25 @jocrafts – How wonderful that you are in Hawaii! I have never been there. I love the lava card! Thanks!

#29 @melvnoble – Wow! I love this statue! Thanks! Do you know where it is or what it’s called? I tried googling the image but couldn’t find it. We drove (detoured) around Pittsburgh last week – went on a hiking trip to West Virginia. When I saw the highway exit for Poland, Ohio, I thought of you.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip -This Halloween card has everything but the black cat! A great old-fashioned design. Thanks!

You can see my postcards for this RR here.

4 Likes

18 scoutingbear checking in with

#1 @cawindt sends a Michigan autumn. Beautiful!

#6 @mikeyz1 sends a Billie Jean card. I hope everyone in your house is feeling better!

#10 @emotis sends a poster card of the great smoky mountains. It sounds lovely in the fall!

3 Likes

I had tried to reverse google image that postcard as well but I am not sure what it is. I got it in a random lot of postcards. I wish it had something on the back to say what it is! Even though I’m in Pittsburgh, Poland is always my home! :purple_heart:

1 Like

#11 received:

#12 @teddypostcrossing sent a cute Halloween card. I love the decorations too and feel the same about Fall! Enjoy it, Kristine, thanks!

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a cute little WPD card! 72 postcards in one day!? Wow! That is impressive! Thanks, Whitney.

#29 @melvnoble Sent a lovely b&w photo of a Slovak woman with her children on Ellis Island. I stared at it for probably 5 mins. Love it! Thank you so much, Mel!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a cute vintage Halloween card. That pumpkin is bigger than him! Thanks, Rocky!

3 Likes

#6 reporting. … All of my cards are in the mail now. Thanks everyone for the patience.

#2 @Sunshein sent some hot peppers from Arizona!

#5 @carolreader sent an awesome Will Barnet painting card. He’s one of my favs!

#7 @treeclimber sent a great card from St. Augustine. Reminds me of visits as a kid!

#9 @mere5oh sent a meet-up card with an awesome postmark!

#13 @ladybug513 sent an awesome toy truck with veggies card. Villette plays with a wooden truck that I had as a kid, one of the few toys that I had that still exists. :slight_smile:

#14 @dnrhott sent a Bigfoot card! I don’t believe he exists but it’s fun!

#15 @NittanyLionRI sent a great card from Brown University. Someday I want to visit it!

#16 @CrimsonKing sent a great bookplate art card. I love it!!!

#18 @scoutingbear sent a great statue of freedom card!!!

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a great World Postcard Day card, with a nice TN map!!!

#23 @normajean sent a cute Bad Hair Day bird card!!! And thanks for the book recommendation! I will put it on my list!!

#25 @jocrafts sent a great card of the USS Arizona memorial! Love Hawaii!!!

#26 @alcott1 sent a fun old sheet music card!

4 Likes

#16 received from:

#12 @teddypostcrossing sent a Halloween card from Colorado! :smiley: I was back there in July visiting family. I miss them and the mountains, haha. Yes, moving away from family is difficult, but as time passes it gets easier. :slight_smile: Thank you for all the cute little ghosts in picture frames, hehe! :ghost:

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a Halloween card as well! :smiley: I have no idea how your daughter does anything with nails that long, that’s insane, haha!! I keep mine short, can’t stand them long, as you said priorities. snickers! Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

#1 @cawindt lovely MI sunset very magical.
Where one may reflect on the past and anticipate a bright tomorrow.

#10 @emotis some mice red berries a nice fall and Halloween to you too.

#21 @Beachyblonde TN Northern Mockingbird-iris neat glad you like this series of cards and like birds :bird: too.

#28 @sleepyhippo1 a park reflection of water seems like a nice summer or fall evening.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip a flower .

Thank you :blush: everyone.

2 Likes

#15 NittanyLionRI reporting:

#1 @cawindt sent a beautiful gray wolf card photographed amongst colorful foliage

#21 @beachyblonde sent a Lou Paper Halloween card to add to my collection

Thank you both!

2 Likes

My “main” fiber hobby is weaving. Stitching is an evening pursuit, often while listening to podcasts or books on tape. Then I read before going to sleep.
I forgot to add that a lap stand is another great option. Look for a Morgan Lap Stand, they now come in two different hoop sizes at once, easy to assemble and disassemble, and reduces wrist strain.

1 Like

re homecoming: I grew up in Germany and neither it nor the surrounding countries have anything like it.

Update from #2 Sunshein:

#1 @cawindt - Dear Craig, I really appreciated not only the card, but that the wildflowers were actually identified. Not sure if you can call low 80’s (our temperatures) fall weather, especially as there aren’t many trees that loose their leaves here. Awesome stamps.

#9 @mere5oh - Dear Meredith, echoing the earlier comments, thanks for the picture of all the floating balloons and how did you get a special cancellation mark?

#21 @Beachyblonde - Dear Whitney, purple is my favorite color, so the typesetting and the imagery is very much up my alley. Why does the Post Office put neon orange line codes on the FRONT of postcards in addition to the black code on the back (and it doesn’t overlap)? Anybody?

#29 @melvnoble - Dear Mel, my second incline railroad card, so fascinating. Thanks for the Halloween decorations on the back.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Dear Rocky, thanks for introducing me to a new-to-me artist Jan Sierts Wierenga. My family, both in the US and in Germany, hand me a cup of coffee and don’t talk to me before I’ve drunk it, so I’m assuming my face is similar to yours and the painting in the morning :smiley:

To Receive: 10, 20, 28

2 Likes