[RR] North American July 2021 Round Robin - Celebrating Canada & the US Edition - Addresses Sent

#26–Lots of cards today!

@johnbradleytlh #4 – Beautiful Lantern Press postcard of St. Augustine, a beautiful city.
@carolreader #5 – Butler’s Pantry at Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens in Akron–Beautiful–I pass through Akron on my way to Pennsylvania–I will make it a point to stop here.
@mere5oh #9 – Memphis, Hone of the Blues and Birthplace of Rock and Roll–YES! Great postcard.
@theosprey247 #18 – Book cover of Fathers and Sons–I read it in college, too, and really liked it, but I don’t think I’d want to read it again. That’s true of a lot of books I enjoyed in those days.
@uconn #22 – Very unusual float card. I love the Brown Pelican stamp.

Thank you for the great postcards.

1 Like

#19 ellistrations received

#4 @johnbradleytlh - Bald Eagle, thank you! I had a great holiday. I worked then got to kick back and relax with dinner and a movie at home!

#5 @carolreader - snapping turtle, thank you! I haven’t received one of them yet, so this is extra special! We have snapping turtles at our family lake lot, I remember a time my brother had felt them swipe his leg when he was in the water. Gives me the goosebumps!

#7 @treeclimber - an old camera, thank you! The only film cameras I had were the disposable ones, I was too young to handle a proper one at the time. I still think it would be fun to get film processed and see how everything came out.

#26 @alcott1 - Elsah Village Hall, thank you! Hope you had a wonderful fourth!

#29 with my first batch of postcards!

#4 @johnbradleytlh - Thank you for this beautiful view of a crescent moon from the ISS.

#5 @carolreader - Thank you for this photo of a man building the Empire State Building! I’m afraid of heights so good on him for doing the difficult work!

#7 @treeclimber - Thank you for the Allies Flag! I’d never heard of this before, so it was very neat to see!

#9 @mere5oh - Thank you for this Lou Paper postcard of fruits! I have been neglecting my Animal Crossing island a bit lately, so I should check in on it soon!

#18 @theosprey247 - Thank you for this Lou Paper postcard of summertime activities! It’s been hot here but seeing 99F is still startling!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you for this America-inspired Lou Paper postcard! I went to an old amusement park museum on the 4th!

#22 @uconn - Thank you for this Doctor Who postcard! Fitting to get this one when they were in America in July!

#26 @alcott1 - Thank you for this photo of an entrance to Elsah Village Hall. I love historical stuff and museums so I’ll have to keep this one in mind if I’m ever traveling in the area!

See all my postcards here!

2 Likes

#22 uconn received a bunch:

#4 @johnbradleytlh cool New Belgium card, that doubles as a beer coaster. As you saw in the “They destroyed my stamps” topic, the machine chewed the R2-D2 stamp. Thanks!

#5 @carolreader T.V. Head at Chuckburger Restaurant. Love the cards Quantity Postcards has. Never seen this one yet, it’s great. Thanks!

#7 @treeclimber The Natural Bridge and Caverns. I went to this bridge and caverns as a kid. Can’t say I remember it, but we did have pictures and postcards from here. Thanks!

#18 @theosprey247 Shaak Ti from Star Wars Women of the Galaxy set, thanks! I loved the Mandolorian.

#26 @alcott1 Elsah Village Hall, museum card. Nice! Sorry about your St. Louis Cardinals. I’m a NY Mets fan, so happy they have a new owner and are doing well this year.

@cawindt #1 – Beautiful Independence Hall in Philadelphia. I wasn’t able to tour Independence Hall when I was in Philadelphia–maybe next time the line for tickets won’t be so long.

#12 - My cards have been mailed! Enjoy!

#16 reporting a big haul yesterday:

#1 @cawindt - the James A. Garfield National Historic Site in Mentor, Ohio. Glad to hear you have been relaxing.

#4 @johnbradleytlh - a Lantern Press poster for St. Augustine FL, a town I’d love to visit.

#5 @carolreader - the birch allee at Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens in Akron, Ohio (former home of the co-founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company). That looks like a lovely place to tour.

#6 @mikeyz1 - a portrait of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Biden was not one of my top choices for the Democratic nomination, but I’ve been pleased with his performance so far.

#18 @theosprey247 - a very patriotic map with lots of images of the US, from a map to coins to a passport. Hope you are having a grand time in Oahu! We’ve been enjoying watching an osprey fishing nearby the last few days. More often we see bald eagles.

#21 @Beachyblonde - a woman wearing a flowered jacket emblazoned “Know Your Power”. Glad to hear about your political activity. Yes, we have been fine during the heat wave, as we are in the minority of households in the region with air conditioning. (We got AC just a few years ago).

#22 @uconn - a warning about global warming. The pop up box on my screen right now is from The Seattle Times. It says “The Pacific Northwest’s record-shattering heat wave was unlikely if not for climate change, a consortium of scientists say”.

#26 @alcott1 - the entrance to Elsah Village Hall, in a little town on the Great River Road. No, you haven’t sent me that card before, and I like it!

Thanks so much, everyone.

I haven’t sent any cards for this group yet. Life is complicated this week.

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade checking in with postcards I received in the mail yesterday and today!!

#1 @cawindt sends a Marie Curie card from the Women in Science set. I love this set so much!! How are the Polish lessons going?

#4 @johnbradleytlh with a great card from Cocoa Beach Pier that says “A little sand between your toes always takes away your woes.” I’m excited that in two weeks I’ll have some sand between my toes! I’ll report back on the taking away my woes part…haha.

#5 @carolreader with an interesting hand experience map. I’ve never seen anything like this. What an interesting idea!

#7 @treeclimber sends a vintage card from Gödöllö Castle! I have been able to pick some of my cucumbers. I tried a new variety this year and the main stems are just dying so badly. I’m going to pull the plant up tonight and try again. My tomatoes and tomatillos look fabulous though!

#9 @mere5oh sends a card for my June theme of light…or happiness…haha! LOVE this unicorn head! So shiny!! Perfect!

#22 @uconn sends a vintage postcard of Mickey Mouse! This absolutely brings happiness to my face. Do you prefer Disney World or Disneyland? I’m torn between the two.

#28 @sleepyhippo1 sends a card of Chateau Laroche in Loveland, Ohio. Oooh…I didn’t know this was there. I might have to visit next time I’m in that area. You are right about running errands. There is never enough time to get it all done.

Received: 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 18, 22, 28

To Receive: 2, 3, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30

2 Likes

#19 ellistrations received

#1 @cawindt - cat polaroid, thank you! Writing cards with coffee, 80s music on being on the beach… That sounds like a perfect day of relaxation!

#22 @uconn - Scar and Mufasa, thank you! The 2-5 age in kids really bring out the fun creativity of their minds and their silliness. How sweet! :two_hearts:

#7 checking in…

#1 @cawindt - the City Tavern in Philadelphia - congrats on a challenging year of teaching. Hope you enjoyed time at the beach.

#4 @johnbradleytlh - the NY Stock Exchange building with a huge flag across the front columns. I enjoyed a day off by working on my family tree.

#5 @carolreader - a peaceful looking Japanese Garden in Akron - it’s funny that people don’t visit places in their own area. My friend’s 13 year old son has decided he wants to see places in Charlotte this summer. He even pulled a list off the internet - no research, just pulled a list of the top 10 things to see, but it’s a start.

#18 @theosprey247 - Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne - I’m pretty sure I read this book when I was in school. I’ve been working from home - looks like that will be permanent :slight_smile: and I’ve been reading on our deck during lunch. Today there was a strong breeze with Elsa heading up from Florida. The rain started around 5pm but didn’t last long.

#22 @uconn - A Nilgai (blue bull) by unknown artist - antelope native to Pakistan and India they were introduced to Texas in the 1920s - thank you Google! interesting animal.

#26 @alcott1 - Elsah Village hall - the entire town is on the National Registry of Historic Places! looks like a fun place to explore.

#28 @sleepyhippo1 - a cat painting a portrait of a dog. I once left an ink pad open and left the room for just a minute. by the time i came back our cat was on the desk inches away from a colorful paw. Cat-astrophy avoided thank goodness but i think he would have had fun.

Some great stamps! Thanks everyone!

Update from #27 Sunshein

To Send: 8, 13, 16 - all others mailed 7/6/21
To Receive: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30

7/6/21 - Thank you #18 @theosprey247, Javier, for the pretty print by Klimt.
7/7/21 - #1 @cawindt - Krzysiak’s House Restaurant - Dear Craig, I can’t tell you how often this happens to me in German restaurants (misspelled/pronounced words, food doesn’t taste the way it does in Germany). Thanks for the vintage stamps.
- #4 @johnbradleytlh - Orlando Skyline - Dear John, thanks for the card, it makes me miss green and water (Sonoran Desert doesn’t have that much of either most of the time)
- #5 @carolreader - Salvador Dali’s “The Basket of Bread” - Dear Carol, I do love his running clocks, but I didn’t understand some of his statues that I saw in Spain. Thanks for the interesting stamps.
- #7 @treeclimber - Navajo woven US Flag - Dear Deb, I really appreciated the card and vintage stamps.
- #22 @uconn - Salvador Dali’s “Dali, what makes you tick?” - Dear James, I had not seen this painting before. I will have to visit the Florida museum as I’ve only been to the Figueres, Spain, one. I do miss visiting museums. The stamps you sent were awesome.
- #26 @alcott1 - Elsah Village Hall door with American flag - Dear Mary Ellen, I haven’t visited a historic village in ages. It brought back happy memories.

Received #26 Thank you for the museum postcard, this reminds me of the little museums my mother would take me to on roadtrips. I should find one in Alaska!

Several wonderful cards arrived over the past several days. Thank you to

#4 @johnbradleytlh for the cool Jesse James card. It’s been many years since I was in KC - the 90s to be honest! I went to college in Iowa, so I went there a few times with friends and if I was flying anywhere, flying out of KC was much cheaper than flying out of Des Moines! Great coffee stamp.

#5 @carolreader for the retro-looking JFK Assassination Site card. I actually toured the School Book Depository when I visited Dallas in the 90s. It was kind of creepy, to be honest. :laughing: I think the assassination greatly affected many in your age group.
Great stamps!

#22 @uconn for the adorable cat card. I hope your aunt’s new cat is warming up to her. Thanks for the WWI stamp.

#26 @alcott1 for the patriotic museum card. Love the Yogi Berra stamp!

#28 @sleepyhippo1 for the funny Dilbert card. I hadn’t thought of this strip in ages! That’s one thing that I miss with the death of local newspapers - the daily comic strips! And doing this RR is a pleasure! (Mostly… :laughing: ) Great coffee stamp.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip for the adorable kitten in a knitting basket from Oscoda, Michigan! I never understood cards like this. Why is Oscoda on the card?? It’s a cute card on its own. Our cats don’t really bother with the toilet paper at all. Now that Freyja is a bit older, yarn doesn’t interest her as much. It was a challenge knitting when she was still a kitten, though!

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

July is off to a great start!

Thank you #2 @christinec for the awesome Barbie card! My first Barbie was also a brunette. My sister chopped all her hair off. :frowning:

Thank you #22 @uconn for the awesome smoking card! I love how they make it look so “glamourous”.

1 Like

This is for a different RR, not this one.

Updated!

#5 reporting:

#6 @mikeyz1 – I love this card! It’s a black and white drawing of a man throwing a box and a chair out of a hot air balloon in flight. It tickles my imagination. Thank you! I’m sorry work is so hectic for you, but good that you got a (small) break.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade – Great Bug’s Life card – the “Leaf Bridge Test”! Love it – thanks. I press you the thumbs!

#26 @alcott1 – Elsah looks like a great little town. No, you’ve never sent me this card – I would have remembered it! (while forgetting everything else around me – ha!). Thanks!

1 Like

#22 received one card today

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a “Just Bumming Around” Caribbean card, I agree, quite ‘cheeky’ thanks!

July 2021 NARR Report #2

Rocky Road Trip #30

Some new entries:

#01 @cawindt: sent an expansive interior shot of the Fairlane Shopping Mall in Dearborn, MI. I’ve been meaning to add shopping malls to my profile “wants” as I see these shrines to unbridled consumerism as a dying breed - that we will one day fondly reminisce about. With postcards. Thanks!

#04 @JohnBradleyTLH: sent another detail shot of the Howard Bros. Circus Model featuring my favorite part of any carnival or fair, the midway. This one shows the actual sideshow tent where the “freaks of nature” perform. The level of detail of this miniature is astounding. Thanks!

#05 @CarolReader: sent a vintage cigar label advertising for Stingeroos. It features a she-devil jabbing a young man in the buttocks. I guess that’s the stinger, but what it has to do with cigars? Crazy. But thanks!

#06 @MikeyZ1: sent a sent an illustrated card, showing Elizabeth Warren in front of the Statue of Liberty branded with the feminist empowerment phrase “Nevertheless, she persisted” (attributable to Mitch McConnell in fact). A great historic record. Thanks!

#22 @UConn: sent a shot of everyone’s favorite portly, creepy, innkeeper, Earl, of the Del-Ray Motel promotional postcard fame. A true “larger than life” legend of vintage motel cards. In this one, he appears to be pointing to a stain in the bedspread. Yes, and that’s the room service order. Jello mold and all the tea you can drink! Thanks!

#26 @Alcott1: sent a shot of the Elsah (IL) Village Hall which houses the town’s small museum. Out of the way places do generally end up becoming art colonies, if they become anything at all. It will be interesting to see how this one fares. Thanks!

You can view all these cards HERE…

Randomly, 2/3rds of my July cards have been mailed.

Rocky Road Trip #30

1 Like

#22 @uconn moss rose thanks

#4 @johnbradleytlh St Augustine nations oldest city. Thanks.

1 Like