[RR] North American February 2023 Round Robin - The My Heart Beats for Postcards Edition - Closed!

#13 - All of my cards were mailed this afternoon!

1 Like

#11. All cards have been sent

1 Like

I couldn’t find this page! I usually search NARR month year. The only one that came up was the alternate RR. Not sure why.

Anywho, I’ve sent out 1-5, 7, 10-12. 13-16 are written and stamped and will go out tomorrow.

1 Like

Updated :smiley_cat:

1 Like

#21 update:

I’ve mailed all yesterday except #19, which has been dropped into the mail today.

1 Like

#7 reporting in:

#11 @Hazygirl sent an incredibly inviting bookstore shelf. An emphatic yes to wanting to spend a day there.
#22 @uconn sent a fascinating fotofolio card - “the silent muses sigh and fret!” So cool!

2 Likes

#4 @jenhart has received:

#19 @ellistrations : wonderful Marblehead Lighthouse. My plans for February are just to survive winter :laughing:

Thank you!

2 Likes

#11 hazygirl reporting that King James @uconn sent an awesome Harrahs zhotel from Reno. I’ve been to Vegas a few times, but never to Reno. Sad it closed, it was around a long time.

3 Likes

#22 uconn

#26 @sarahaeyo a cool card, thanks for this one
I can hear the wind howling here tonight

3 Likes

26 sent: all cards travelling as of saturday morning :love_letter:
26 received: 7

7 @CStar9 - oooo~ usps was super speedy with this card! thank you so much for the adorable s’mores postcard and birthday wish; so wholesome :two_hearts: a large chunk of my job involves engagement and advocacy with/for underserved communities and i am looking forward to corresponding with you more, especially about issues in the indigenous communities that you serve :blush: (a non-related sidenote: i am very envious of the location and scenic amenities of your job site haha)

2 Likes

The mail bin made a very satisfying THUNK when I sent out my remaining cards (#1-17) today.

I also received a welcome flutter of affirmation from both @cawindt (#1), who sent me a beautifully illustrated portrait of one of my favorite authors (Toni Morrison; and yes, her work The Bluest Eye is incredible) and @ellistrations (#19), who shared the kind of big-hearted love we all need to hear. How much better the world would be if we all spoke to each other this way.

And @YOIYUMTEWA (#17) conjured that wonderful feeling of seeing a sign on the side of the road and randomly saying, Let’s turn in there!

I had a lot of fun reading up about the Quaker roots of the manor, and the wind-driven fire that took it down in 2019. Also, for the record, you somehow divined that Slinky Dog is my favorite Toy Story character, so well done.

Happy weekend, everyone! And I hope those of you who are in the way of the polar vortex are somehow staying warm. It’s minus-a-zillion degrees F here and hard to motivate to do anything but huddle under a fleecy blanket.

2 Likes

#5 - I finally got all my cards mailed out today.

And I have received:

#1 @cawindt - a colorful portrait of Althea Gibson, in honor of black history month. Beautiful card and interesting quote. Thank you!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA - Patricia Bath, from the “Women in Science” series. Another strong woman and great quote. I like this series. Thank you!

#27 @beatriceh - a pretty drawing with flowers and a woman in silhouette - “Find the Beauty in Everyday” - charming! A nice reminder, thank you.

My cards are here.

2 Likes

#19 received

#7 @CStar9 - thank you! I love this, the bunny is so sweet! I have not been able to stargaze often as the city has too many lights and our yard has too many trees to allow it, haha! But when I am vacation, I enjoy watching the night sky.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA - thank you! Groundhogs are such sweet little things. I would love to see “Phil” in person one day and just revel in his presence. I love animal celebrities.

#26 @sarahaeyo - thank you! A beautiful card for a beautiful holiday. Reflection is a good thing, and I hope this year brings brighter reflections to us all.

4 Likes

#22 uconn

#1 @cawindt thanks for this Carla Hayden card

#13 @ladybug513 thanks for this floor planers artwork.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA thanks for the bonus vintage humor card and this modern Florida humor card

#19 @ellistrations thanks for this llovely valentine’s llama. I broke out the dog sweater for my dog with the cold we’ve had this weekend in CT

4 Likes

February 2023 NARR

Report 1 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

And February made me shiver
With every postcard this NARR delivered…

#11 @HazyGirl: sent an Alcatraz Penitentiary card you won’t receive every day that features a mess hall regulation (Regulation #33 - for those keeping track) admonishing prisoners that “boisterous” conduct will not be tolerated. Yes, schools and prisons. Is there really much of a difference? Thanks!

#13 @Ladybug513: sent a hilarious Valentine’s Card (of sorts) from cartoonist Alanson Walker (Atlantic Monthly, Saturday Evening Post et al) showing cross-dressing Eddy as a Lady. More like a lush Ernest Borgnine with too much rouge and a beer! Random fact: The original of this sold for about $300 in 2016. Oh yes, the journey to sneak a peek of the summer rental. We’ve done that too… on time to our chagrin, as the place looked nothing like the listing! But it’s hard to go wrong on Cape May, so good luck with it. Thanks!

#17 @YoiYumTewa: sent a pristine shot of the public restroom in NYC’s Grand Central Station. This photo must have been taken on opening day, because these loos have never looked this good ever since! This view looks like a set out of a Stanley Kubrick film. Includes a hand cancellation from Indiana, PA, as well. Thanks!

#19 @Ellistrations: a combination map and Route 66 card, showing the Mother Road’s route through the state of Oklahoma. And then, for some reason, a callout specifically of the Caloosa Blue Whale – a site not actually detailed on the map, but okay. Congrats on the engagement and new apartment(?) I hope my outgoing Feb. card to you is being sent to the right address! Thanks!

#22 @UConn: sent the “official portrait” card of the actor playing Apostle Peter in the Oberammergau, Germany 1950 Passion Play – a performance that’s been played out every 10 years for centuries now. (It was interesting reading about all the times it was called off because of the religious proclivities of the powers that be at the time). Passion Plays are such a goof. I actually sat through a documentary of sorts (Jesus Town, USA) detailing the behind-the-scenes production of a major Passion Play performed annually in Oklahoma - where there was definitely more drama off-stage than on! Thanks!

Okay, you can view all these February postcards HERE.

Rocky Road Trip #30,

4 Likes

#4 reporting:

#11 @Hazygirl : Neuschwanstein Castle in the winter :heart: My daughter visited the castle on a summer trip she took in high school. I am so jealous! Because you re right … we don’t build them like that (the story of Ludwig II who built it is wild too!)

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@cawindt #1 Thanks for the great card of Wilma Rudolph. I think I will try to get back home to the West Coast. I miss my friends and family there.
@scoutingbear #7 Thanks for adding Pacifica to my map! The card shows the pier. My family and I were there on Christmas Day. We fished on the pier but didn’t catch anything. I don’t know if I told you, but I fostered THREE guinea pigs for a rescue in Northern CA while I was home. They DO poop a lot!!
@Hazygirl #11 Thanks for NYC and pizza! I was in Manhattan last month. My friend took me to Mama’s.

1 Like

Yesterday I received my first three cards for this month’s RR. Thank you to:

#11 @Hazygirl for the fun cat card. Cats like to do this around 3 am, of course. :joy_cat:

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA for the great vintage souvenir shop selling “Indian” souvenirs. I remember places like this dotted throughout northern Michigan when I was a kid. They all seem to be gone now…which I think is a good thing!

#22 @uconn for the awesome Gillette Castle State Park card. I love the quote from Gillette! And great idea to use the new 40¢ fox stamp with an old 8¢ stamp. I have a TON of 8 centers I have to work through.

2 Likes

#24 reporting

First card in is a wonderful Barbie postcard from @laurenceb - what a nice addition to my collection! Thank you!

2 Likes

#28 reporting:
Man, it’s hard to keep up with you speedy writers!
I’ve got cards 1-10 & 22 written and will be in the mail tomorrow.

1 Like