[RR] North American August 2023 Round Robin - The Summer Forever Edition - Craig's Version - Closed

@cawindt #1 Thanks for the card from Lublin! I hope the school year is starting off well.
@Cruzin #3 Love the card you made me and the stickers you sent me. Thank you!
@carolreader #5 Funny surgery card. Reminds me of “The Larygnospasms,” a group made by CRNAs who parodied some popular songs.
@mikeyz1 #6 Thanks for the Graceland card. I haven’t been, either. I find it amusing that this specific garden is on Google and so I can add it to my map.
@Shesa-Renegade #8 Thanks for the Channel Islands card. Sounds like you had an excellent time visiting family.
@MuttleysMom #11 I do like pico de gallo, but never tried it with kiwi. Very interesting!
@Yarn-Lady #12 I wish I was on a tropical vacation, too! Thanks!
@ladybug513 #13 Thank you for Friday Harbor! Island life must be interesting.
@jacieslar #16 I have driven through Wyoming on I-80 but only in the summer. The Lincoln head always amuses me.
@LaurenceB #18 Thanks for the Gold Coast card. Glad your tree is still somewhat with you.
@Angeldreamer #20 Thanks for the snippet into your town. Sounds like you and your coworkers had some fun with your postmaster. Do you think he will still be around next year?
@uconn #22 Thanks for Manchester, CT. My neon orange barcode is scratched out with what looks like black crayon. I wonder where it went before me.
@roxy #24 Thanks for the card from the Henry Ford! Maybe you can explore the other places I recommended on your next trip.
@MagicManders #25 Thanks for the cool card! You must live such an interesting life.
@sarahaeyo #26 Love the Boston card! How beautiful.
@France-Montreal #27 Thank you for the postcard. Glad your day was better than the previous.
@melvnoble #29 Thanks for this cool addition to my map. A talk by the original archeologist? Neat!
@RockyRoadTrip #30 Thanks for the card from Taos. If you want to retire in the SW but your wife wants eastern beaches…maybe something in the middle, like Nebraska? A good compromise leaves everyone unhappy, right?

6 Likes

#9 @RobinP – Gorgeous shot of Arches National Park

#12 @Yarn-Lady – Lovely antique flower card

#18 @LaurenceB – Very special card–top right corner stamp honors a novel written by Laurence’s great grandmother!

#25 @MagicManders – Sweet card and great stamp

#26 @sarahaeyo – Magnificent St. Patrick’s Cathedral–I find Gothic architecture stunning also.

#27 @France-Montreal – Lovely butterflies and flowers!

Thank you for the great postcards!

2 Likes

#9 back from the OBX to a mailbox full of postcards…

from #1 @cawindt - a multiview of Lublin, Poland. Beautiful buildings and it sounds like an amazing way to spend the summer!

from #6 @mikeyz1 - a long distance view of Deer Lodge, Montana. I have to say, I do love vacations where I can wake up and look out at an amazing view.

from #24 @roxy - a trail in British Columbia, Canada. Looks amazing. It’s always easier to explore things close to us, right? My midwest and western adventures are waaaaay behind my eastern explorations in my own country too!

from #26 @sarahaeyo - colorful nuns under an umbrella! They say great minds think alike, which is probably why I got two of these beauties this month! I’m not complaining. My 5 year old really liked it so I MIGHT let her keep one for herself, lol.

from #29 @melvnoble - Meadowcraft Rockshelter and Historic Village. We got to see an archeological dig in progress at a few places over the years and I always think it’s fascinating to see what they are up to! So cool that you got to see research in progress at this site.

Thanks all for the great cards. I’m off to recover from my vacation!

1 Like

#4 Reporting

@Yarn-Lady (#12) Love this style of state card, thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: With the volcanic soil so rich, is that why the state flower is a crop? Or are those wild grapes? Love your handwriting by the way, thank you!

@AccentOnHakes (#15) Thank you for my first Detroit card!!! I never thought much about the Isles around the area, so thank you. Really loved the stamps, thank you!

@LaurenceB (#18) Love this card so much!!! We started our anatomy memory work this week :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So funny all the ways kids pronounce things, so when the neighbor heard my 2yo recalling our little song, repeating a word again & again, he asked “what did he say” “oh its ‘epitheal’” :rofl: Though I am of French Candian descent (several generations back) my family unfortunately doesn’t know French. Now my husband’s side knows it very well, they are Syrian and a few of his Aunts live in Canada I believe. So Daddy covers the french lessons :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Angeldreamer (#20) Thank you for this Will Rogers card! The stamps are great too! I went to school for a bit in Tulsa, so I wish I had had taken the time to visit Oologah. My dad would frame this card :rofl: Such a crazy story about rural mail carrying, for some reason no matter what the profession, the big shots really are (or grow) out of touch with their hardworkers.

@roxy (#24) Thank you for the beautiful Ottawa card! Thanks for explaining the occasion, I was curious and first thought New Years, but couldn’t tell if there was snow or not. Now we plan to research a bit more into the world heritage sites you mentioned, thanks so much! Ooh and loved your cute mailbox sticker the stamps too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@MagicManders (#25) Haha I need to learn where you picked up this magnificient card :joy: Working over a decade as a barista across the street from NASA this pie chart is #ACCURATE :rofl: Your possum stamp is too cute, thank you!

@France-Montreal (#27) Love your illustrated Canadian map card! I immediately glanced to see if Anne of Green Gables would pop up around Prince Edward Island in puffed sleeves :rofl: Thank you so much for this great card and sweet message :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@melvnoble (#29) Thank you for this Meadowcroft Historic village card! We sometimes watch the reality show where blacksmiths compete, and its such a hard and beautiful trade. Would love to see a something like this in person, so cool!

@RockyRoadTrip (#30) Thanks so much for this perfect and really educational card on the USS Wisconsin, the boys love it! The stamps are wonderful too!

1 Like

Right card - you just tagged RuhrohRaggy accidentally.

Update #3 is complete and September is now open!

The Oregon Grape is a wild vine - wild animals (bears, chipmucks, birds, etc) eat it. They are tiny and not for the human palette at all. They grown up in the mountains in pretty harsh environments, too.
The Willamette Valley has rich soil - the rest of us (about 2/3) live in high desert and volcanic rock.

1 Like

#24 reporting received cards:

#5 @carolreader sent an awesome card from the Disney film Brave because it has a big pile of potatoes! Perfect for my potato collection! Hope things are slowing down for you now.

#10 @emotis sent a great Troubled Birds postcard - I love those birds and their sweary thoughts that tend to mimic my own quite often! :slight_smile:

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a fantastic illustration of “The Banana Bunch”, a sendup of the Brady Bunch. I love that Bobby and Cindy being the youngest are illustrated with the unripened bananas!! Love this so much!

2 Likes

Oops! Three cards got stuck in the wrong pile. So without further ado, thanks to:

#12 @Yarn-Lady for the cool card of Celilo Falls on the Columbia River. I was so impressed with the waterfalls we saw when we travelled west two summers ago.

#26 @sarahaeyo for the cute kittens card. Poland truly was amazing. It was a LOT of work, with most weekdays taken up with grammar classes, lectures and conversation classes. However, I still found some time to enjoy myself outside of class.

#27 @France-Montreal for the adorable cat in a sweater card! Great to have a fellow cat fan in the RR :smile_cat:

2 Likes

#3 received

#4 @LLAcademy Mucha! Love the art deco!

#24 @roxy Doggies!! Love love the collage work on the back AND the wax stamp made it!! I love playing with wax stamps! How did you make the die cut sticker with your name on it?

#29 @melvnoble Meadowcraft Rockerfella. Wow! I thought it was a home, interesting archaeology site!

Thank you all!

1 Like

who knows…I can only hope he moves on. … or loosens up, but I don’t think he will ever loosen up. He knows we aren’t pushovers tho. He has tried to tell us many things and we immediately quote back the contract and how we won’t violate it and what he says is wrong. I am sure he goes to the district union rep and finds out we are right as we never hear another word. haha.

[quote=“TwoDoggies, post:139, topic:635234”]
co-worker from the city.
[/quote] Not a coworker…a new clueless boss that thinks he knows everything when he came from the city side of things and the rural side is a different contract. I didn’t treat him any different than I treated myself. City carriers are just used to slower days and paid breaks. 200 homes versus 600 homes. My expostmaster was awesome and would not have gotten that treatment…but he would have been in the car with me and chatting all day as well. He tried to write me up the other day for not wearing a seat belt…city side has to…city side is given a govt vehicle made for the job. Rural side is specifically excluded from the seatbelt law in all 50 states because it is also in the rural contract that we are not expected to drive a modified vehicle from the wrong side while being belted in. I sit to the side of my seat to reach the steering wheel and a belt would encumber me every time I try to turn the wheel, some people also straddle the middle of the car to reach over and use the pedals with the wrong foot (I do have a 2nd set of pedals). He lost that point–yet again.

20 @Angeldreamer
SENT ALL
To receive: 4, 12, 13, 14, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29

1 @cawindt Thank you for the beautiful buildings around Lublin. You had a great experience it sounds like!! I enjoyed following it on facebook :smiley:

2 @CrimsonKing 5 Florida sunsets…I don’t know where my favorite place is…I do like to see the colors reflected in water and I LOVE any sunset that goes pink and purple…luckily we get a lot of those in Oklahoma!

3 @Cruzin truly adorable and unique card that looks like a sheet of dog postal stamps! this is awesome!! I am looking at plexiglass for my work case so I can have pretty postcards like this to look at rather than the 20 year old ink stains and battle scars. haha

7 @alcott1 a beautiful Rocky Mtn landscape. I always remembered CO as being cooler than NM…but it may have just been in my mind…and we didn’t have a/c at the house I grew up with, just an attic fan. Supposedly we didn’t need ac in the mountains…I bet there is one in that house NOW!! haha I am counting the days to the end of summer for sure. I figure 3 more weeks and it should start cooling…but bonus…3 more weeks and I am taking 3 weeks off and going to UT. So either way…my days of misery are numbered for this year. It will be cooler by the time I get home!

10 @emotis keep calm and eat healthy veggies. Thanks for this new addition to my collection! I may have to plant squash just for the bunnies. We won’t eat it ourselves but I would be happy to give the bunnies an easy meal!

11 @MuttleysMom Thanks for a great gnome card! I totally enjoy getting a bit of winter in my mail on a hot day! Off to a post office pool party at an ex-postmaster’s house…but it’s 105 today…I think I will take my food and enjoy the meal and book it back home for the ac if there isn’t any shade :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

#5 reporting two more cards:

#25 @MagicManders - your card makes me see red! I love that long, flowing red hair. Thank you for the great card!

#29 @melvnoble - Historic village in Pennsylvania. There are so many great historical or artistic places to visit in both PA and Ohio. This one is really near Steubenville! I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Big thanks to:
#1 @cawindt— Thanks for the view of Lublin. I rally enjoyed following your stay there…especially the daily sweet treats!
#12 @Yarn-Lady Thanks for the Celilo Falls card. I hope your air clears up!
#29 @melvnoble The Miller School House in Meadowcroft card. I love visiting local historic villages. We have Carillon Park here in Dayton which has buildings from the cities’ pioneer days, up to the residence halls from the codebreakers top secret WWII work. It’s pretty cool!

ALL SENT
To receive: 20, 26

Sent ALL
Waiting for: 20, 21

#4 @LLAcademy sent an illustrated postcard of a castle. Beautiful! And it sounds like your children appreciate art as well :slight_smile: So glad it was cooler when you wrote your card! Our weather was in the high 90’s last week whole it’s common for Montana in August, it was way too hot for me!

#15 @AccentOnHakes sent a postcard of New York City. I appreciate that the twin towers are in the picture. And beautiful stamps! Do you know if they still sell postcards with the twin towers in New York City? I visited in 2004 and picked up a few postcards with the twin towers, but I’d assumed maybe they would stop selling them in favor of a modern landscape.

#24 @roxy sent a lovely postcard of Vancouver’s waterfront. And love the collage of stamps!

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a map postcard of the US. Gorgeous! Summer certainly does fly by. Hopefully you’re able to get out on the water before it gets cold over there. I traveled a lot on the weekends in July so I don’t have big plans for August. In September my husband and I ate going to the Oregon coast, so we’re looking forward to that :slight_smile:

#27 @France-Montreal sent a colorful map postcard of Canada. You are correct, I haven’t received this one yet, and I love it!

#29 @melvnoble sent a postcard of Meadowcroft Rockshelter in Avella, PA. I love history and I bet it was a lot of fun!

2 Likes

20 @Angeldreamer
SENT ALL
To receive: 4, 21, 27

12 @Yarn-Lady a beautiful Monarch on a marigold. My mom loved to plant the marigolds. I can’t remember if we had Monarchs visit us in the mountains of NM…I should plant them here as I am sure we are in their path to Mexico. I plan to plant zinnias as well since I have enjoyed driving up to the mailboxes that have them nearby! My house needs more curb appeal and color…but only if we don’t take long vacations in the spring planting season or during the summer to let things die. haha

13 @ladybug513 a gorgeous rainbow behind a palm tree! I have a cabinet/wardrobe that is stuffed with quick presents that could be used for coworkers or anyone…and some I have bought for people in mind…and then I forget about them and buy other things too. haha I buy all year round if the price is right and I think of someone I like. It probably helps that I do not have a huge family to buy for so I have the discretionary income. (no nieces or nephews, no kids or g-kids :frowning: if I buy toys it is for the angel trees and toy drives ) I like that you think of me when you see xmas stuff. I was at a work pool party yesterday and found out that I am thought of anytime someone is arguing with the boss. hahahaha It so happened I was OFF the day of the argument, so it wasn’t me!

14 @Hazygirl a beautiful lacy looking drawn butterfly! Thanks so much! We get a lot of wind in OK too…famous song about it! haha This week is miserable and I really need to burn a few bonfires of treelimbs that were trimmed or came down in the storms the last few weeks…but if it isn’t raining it is sweltering hot and a bit too windy :frowning: today is calm-ish but 105…I will see what it feels like closer to sunset. I like to see where the embers fly anyway. I can tell at night more easily if I need to chase something with the water cart.

18 @LaurenceB a pretty botanical print with roses and bees. This would make a lovely tablecloth! i hope you got to enjoy all of your vacation this time! I am looking forward to going to UT in a few short weeks to spend a few weeks with my aunt and help her get comfortable in the house after my uncle passed. It will be a working vacation, but we will take lots of breaks as I don’t want to be like a tornado…just a gentle helping wind. She keeps coming down with covid too, but my dad and I have not really been effected by it, so hopefully that trend will continue.Is it never going to be cold/flu season again?–just new waves of covid?!

23 @suatelier a beautiful botanical drawing of Braziilian Plume Flower…I also mostly own non-flowering house plants. I only have about 3 kinds in my house…spiderplants, pothos and xmas cactus…the indestructible plants that are very drought tolerant! I can forget about them for a few weeks tho I do try to keep to a schedule and water every sunday…sometimes I forget what day it is entirely!

24 @roxy a beautiful butterfly card…never have to apologize for that! Your sticker with your name made me laugh…it is so cute with you looking out from the inside of a postbox!!! Please tell me it is starting to feel slightly like Autumn for you up north? I am holding on to hope by my fingertips that this heat wave is nearing its end!!

25 @MagicManders a lovely vintage reprinted Santa on a bicycle! I love this!!! Your grandma sounds like my kind of woman! I take months…it used to get done quicker but I get more easily distracted now I think. I have had as many as 9 trees but not at my current house. I am liking the pencil trees these days…same amount of ornaments in less space!!! I miss my 10 foot ceilings too because I used to put my trees on top of boxes so that the dogs’ tails would miss the lower branches, and now I just have to tuck them in a corner somewhere instead. … or get smaller dogs…I might work on that too. haha

29 @melvnoble the visitor center at Meadowcroft village. This is a very cool building and a very interesting sight! I googled it and spent a while reading all about it. Looks like a fun place to visit several times a year!!

2 Likes

@Angeldreamer it actually is getting cooler! There have been a couple of mornings that had a slight fall nip in the air. Fine by me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

#19 received

#18 @LaurenceB - thank you! This sign is so colorful! I would love to feed zebras! Happy to hear it was only the branch that caught fire and no worse than that, especially with all the fire chaos lately. Enjoyed the envelope!