[RR] North American August 2022 Round Robin - The "It's Hotter than Blazes" Edition - Closed!

sending #s: 5,8,15,16,22,30

To send: 9,10,11,12,13,14,19,20,25,26,27,28,29
To Rec: 1.2.6.9.16.20.21.23.29

Rec:
#4 @jenhart vintage poster of old b&w sketches of animals! Thank you! And, thank you for telling me about what you do for yourself for self care. :slight_smile:
#8 @Shesa-Renegade Dendara Temple ruins and thank you as well for telling me what you do for self care! And yes, our bdays are 1 day apart. Years don’t matter! Happy soon-to-be birthday!
#12 @Yarn-Lady sweet illustrated seaside scene! Thank you for the birthday wishes!
#18 @LaurenceB Birthday card with birthday wishes and thank you for telling me about what you do for self care! You must have a great pen. Your card got quite wet and much of the ink washed away, but, I was still able to read your card clearly, even though there is water damage! I’m impressed!
#25 @Missy99 Whaleboat and mail whale! Thanks to you as well for sharing your forms of self care! And, thank you for the birthday wishes!
#26 @sarahaeyo map of Oregon! Thank you! And, once of these days, I would love to vacation from the pacific northwest as well! I’ve been several times when I was younger, but the last time as an adult was in 2008. Hope you had a great trip!
#27 @beatriceh LouPaper Happy Birthday card! Thank you! I hope you have a fantastic birthday celebration this year!

3 Likes

#6 reporting

#11 @volvomom sent a fun card of what looks to be a sorceress. I love Vermont!!!

#21 @mdmsamm sent me a card of an Aubrey Hepburn doll painting that she did. Wow, that is wonderful!!!

2 Likes

#29 - Some great cards to report from the weekend!

#4 @jenhart - Thank you Jennifer for this postcard from the Twin Cities! I had an ex who moved there after we split, so that’s the extent of my interest in the area. :laughing: I’m sure it’s a great place though! It’s so interesting when people become teachers at their school. I knew a few of my classmates who returned to work at our alma mater. I would never go back to my high school! :laughing:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you RenĂ© for this postcard of Acadia, a Northern Saw-whet Owl! I love that the description makes not that people view her as cute, but she is a predator. I was recently reminded of this at the aquarium when I was admiring “adorable” hippos. The caretakers said they have to be protected from the hippos and can’t even get in the water with them! I guess it’s important to be reminded of the reality of wild nature sometimes.

#15 @AccentOnHakes - Thank you Karen for this vintage postcard of a Fruit Crate Label! Oh wow, I hope you are getting through that 60-hour week okay! You’re so right about being lucky to have good people to work with. I hear from friends who don’t get along with their coworkers, and that has to make their job so frustrating. Hugs and good wishes back atcha!

#16 @jacieslar - Thank you JoAnne for this postcard of an owl! I reverse image searched it and I’m pretty sure it’s a Eurasian Eagle Owl, but Google also said it could be a Long-Eared Owl
but those have such a surprised expression, so I think it’s the Eurasian Eagle Owl. I like learning more about different owls though! Hope everything is going well with your middle grandson after the minor surgery!

#21 @mdmsamm - Thank you Samantha for this postcard of some yummy-looking blueberries and what I believe are scones! That’s so neat you are passionate about saving dolls! I don’t know much about that, but I appreciate hearing about people’s hobbies and passions! There is definitely an idea that those old vintage dolls are creepy, but I respect the desire to fix them up and make them pretty!

1 Like

Sending #s: 10,12,14,19,20,29

To send: 9,11,13,25,26,27,28
To Rec: 1.2.6.9.16.20.21.23.29

#28 reporting in:

#2 @CrimsonKing sent an awesome anime Wanted poster. Lesly, I was not aware of these cards and have now chased them down the rabbit hole!!

#3 @Cruzin sent Anita Klein’s “Swimming in the Rain”. I love this card. Thank you. Enjoy your FIL. Take him sightseeing!

#4 @JenHart sent a Minnesota map card. Don’t feel bad about sending same/similar cards. We all do it especially when we’ve gone on vacation and bought a lot of cards (like me!) or are just in the mood to do that. Since we are in a recurring group with a lot of the same people, sometimes it’s hard to continue finding something to a T, especially if profiles aren’t updated ever and there’s no collection to look at. (that’s my opinion anyway!). Of course, we all still want to please and want to send good cards. Anyway
I like the card.

#5 @carolreader Sent a card from yet another series of cards I’ve never heard of. They are endless aren’t they? I love these types of clever postcards. I do chase cards I’ve never seen before down the rabbit hole. This weekend I went to the National Zoo in D.C and had to visit the visitor center for postcards. I heard my husband tell my son-in-law he thought I had at least 1,000 cards. I almost choked because I have far more than that; like 12,000. Hope he never gets too curious and starts counting. I’m like that with most hobbies I undertake. Too much, too soon. Anyway, to answer your question, yes Europe was extremely hot about 3 days over 100. The rest of the time was okay.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade a Minnesota Loon I guess you’re back at work now. Enjoy!

#10 @emotis sent an LP poster card of Boston. Hilarious that I also sent you an LP card of Boston. Fortunately, we didn’t send the same ones otherwise we could have just saved our stamps./ Hope you had fun being a tourista.

#12 @Yarn-Lady A female dog with pups nursing. The expression on the poor dog’s face is quintessentially “hang-dog”. Poor baby. She ought to just lay down and rest at least.

#13 @ladybug513 a UN Postal Administration card. Gift from the Government of Luxembourg titled Non-Violence. A meet-up which includes meeting some of the people that we’re regularly exchanging cards with would be awesome. I still haven’t been to an in-person or zoom meet-up. Zoom doesn’t hold that much appeal to me because it reminds me too much of my work life during Covid.

#15 @AccentOnHakes a card from the boxed set “Sun. Skate. Seventies”. I enjoy this set, reminds me of my childhood in Fla. I would definitely use up my $15 a day allowance especially given that it’s a use it or lose it scenario. If nothing else, you can buys drinks to take home.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA art card by William Blake titled “Christ’s Troubled Sleep”. Thanks for sharing this card. It looks like more than a troubled sleep to me. It looks like a nightmare.

#19 @ellistrations Roma-Pantheon I think you figured out your next challenge. I believe I told you what I did; used a random word generator to generate 5 nouns and I posted those words as my challenge. Now I’m worried that that is too limiting. I don’t want to stifle people!

#21 @mdmsamm Doll card made of doll she made. I admire your creativity and dedication.

#22 @uconn Children’s museum in Newport, RI (vintage card). Hope you enjoyed your visit to Mystic. What did you guys end up doing?

#24 @roxy card from the Sorry, Not Sorry collection. Another favorite of mine.

#25 @Missy99 Whaleboat by Kyler Martz. I love how the boat is built on top of the whale so you’ll never know what the power is underneath. Thanks for sharing the most disgusting thing you ever ate. I don’t think I would even have the nerve to take one bite of that. Mentally, too much.

#26 @sarahaeyo Quilt card at The Old Country Store in PA. My summer is good so far but passing quickly as always. We’ve actually been having temps in the low 80’s this week and today it’s only 71 at 11:30 a.m. Pretty unusual.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Hopi Pottery. A good ceramic mug is comforting.

4 Likes

#28 missed one.

#14 @scoutingbear sent a card from the Sidewinder road in Arizona, 191 turns, 8 miles, no guardrails.

I haven’t done that ride. I did do the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap (US 129, bordered by Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest). It’s 318 curves in 11 miles. It’s a nail biter on a motorcycle because younger guys riding “Crotch Rockets” weave in and out without regard for safety AND 18 wheelers are allowed to use the road and can’t make the S turns without coming into the on-coming lane. Woo hoo! And I rode it in the rain. Today, I don’t think I would do it. I had a lot more daring do 15 years ago.!

1 Like

#27 @beatriceh sent remaining 3 cards today to #16, #29-30

#25 @Missy99 reporting seven more received:

#4 @jenhart - Thank you so much for the warm welcome (to the RR and to NC!) This postcard is such a fun way to see so many of the Twin Cities’ landmarks! I’ve always wanted to visit the area, now I have a guide for what to see.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you for the absolutely gorgeous moose photo! I’ve always dreamed of seeing one in person, and I can’t wait to visit the Tetons someday. Your job sounds idyllic! I’m sure it feels like work much of the time, but I hope it’s as magical as it sounds. And thank you for the very cute dog washi tape and sticker.

#12 @Yarn-Lady - Thank you for sending something from my favorites! I am looking forward to the day when I have built up enough cards to be able to do that for someone. It was very kind of you! And yes, it’s truly amazing what they did- I can’t imagine! I am fascinated with that type of history.

#13 @ladybug513 - Thank you for this fantastic Bigfoot postcard, I love everything about it! Who knew so many things I enjoy could be combined into one postcard? And you described a perfect summer day with books and ice cream at the beach. I hope you had a wonderful time in Cape May!

#15 @AccentOnHakes - Thank you for the great roadside attraction postcard! After a couple of long road trips, I’ve really learned to appreciate a good truckstop. This one definitely looks like it’s worth seeing if I’ll be traveling through! And thank you for the lovely stamps.

#28 @TwoDoggies - Thank you for the fun baseball fact! This was new information for me, and I love learning this kind of trivia! And I can relate to spending too much time at my desk on my hobbies. I started diving into genealogy a bit last year, and it is so meaningful to learn more about my history.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you for the very unique roadside attraction (The Peachoid) postcard! I haven’t been to it before, but it may warrant a road trip. If they indeed sell replicas, you’ll be the first to know!

2 Likes

I have just returned from the post office where I dropped off all 29 cards for the month. :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

#2 received

#7 @mere5oh sent a Woman Reading card, thank you Meredith! I hope life quiets down for you too, hehe. A life constantly on the go and being crazy has its limits, time to sit back and relax a bit
 if you can. :smile:

#11 @volvomom sent barns, thank you Kristin! I see a lot of barns around where I live, especially on the back roads around the small towns. I love the art on the barns, that’s so neat! :smile:

Thank you Ladies!
:nerd_face: :heart: :smile:

2 Likes

#17 received 7 cards in my mailbox today:

#6 @mikeyz1 St James Cathedral, Seattle, Washington vinat night. Love the green color given it by the lights. The vintage stamps didn’t get postmarked

#7 @mere5oh museum items from Japan decorated with Noh masks. You sound like a very busy person! I’m enjoying my museum job.

#10 @emotis La Basilique Notre Dame, Montreal, Canada. Amazing looking place. Great Canadian stamps, too. Sounds like you had a great road trip.

#16 @jacieslar Haleakala National Park, Hawaii, poster postcard. Amazing artwork. I hope to make it Hawaii someday

#28 @TwoDoggies Market Square in Brugge, Belgium. Cool looking place. I’d love to visit Belgium and Netherlands
ve
#29 @melvnoble Early US Flag, with the 13 stripes; and the 13 stars in a circle. Cool washi tape, too.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Yes, I like exterior hallways. I know there is a name for them, but cannot remember what it is. There are still fans of Jimmy Stewart around (most of them older, but not all). We even had a trio of film aficionados in their early 20s visit us a few days ago. We’re not “crazy busy” with visitors (Indiana, PA isn’t a tourist destination), so the people who end up visiting us mostly really want to be there (unless they are dragged along by a family member)

3 Likes

#19 received

#28 @TwoDoggies - thank you! I wondered how the open concept was coming along. The challenges can be limiting, so I will make it two things in the same month if I think one may be a bit too limited or tough to find, then I’m also happy to receive more of older challenges if they new one is too tricky. I love seeing the variety that continues to arrive. :blush:

#27 @beatriceh reporting:

#15 @AccentOnHakes Thanks for the story about the plant reporting. I can just imagine feeling I’ve finally succeeded in finding dirt, only to see tons of ants. Love the crane card. Thanks!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA Very fun egg card. Thanks! Reminds me of a friend who once asked me to do an exercise: take an egg and think about what I call it (an egg). Crack it open into a bowl. What’s in the bowl? What’s in my hand? Why does the egg shell get its own name when the egg is broken, but not before?

#19 @ellistrations Thank you for the Chicago card! I rarely watch tv anymore, but I’m thinking of doing a movie marathon for my birthday.

#22 @uconn Thanks for the bookstore card! Bookstore gift certificates are such a great gift. They were my favorite when I was growing up. I loved reading and it was fun to wander around the store and pick something out.

#25 @Missy99 You’re the first person to tell me your favorite word. Thanks so much! I listened to an episode of Dimes of Crime. Thanks for the recommendation. And great card!

#26 @sarahaeyo love the Christmas card! I can’t wait for December. It’s finally started to cool down here, thank goodness.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I mailed all my postcards today! :grinning:

1 Like

#9 reporting:

#4 @jenhart I have only seen these Max and Oscar cards for the first time a few days ago. They are neat! Poor kitty visitor. :crying_cat_face:Thank you!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade Tie-dye! Groovy. I had a feeling that summers might still seem too short even when you get time off. I’m lucky - no time off. It just drags on. Ha! Thank you!

#11 @volvomom Two trips to Vermont - hey, you got my share! Ha! Been a long time since Ive been. Would like to get back to Maine also. Thank you!

#26 @sarahaeyo Cool Basie card. Makes me want to listen right now. Did you also go to Powells City of Books? My favorite bookstore. Thank you!
20220815_210952
#27 @beatriceh It’s true - they definitely do not care. MAYBE a minor eyebrow raise if they think we’re down. Maybe. I am also a bit of a workaholic but I do take all of my PTO. I need that downtime even if Im working until midnight the 3 days before. Thank you!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Oh boy Rocky, you hit the nail on the head. When this guy was Prez I cancelled cable so I didn’t have to hear his voice. This time around I have Twitter, so I just don’t watch news channels at all. Well, unless the J6 hearings are on. Thank you!

5 Likes

@ljbbauer I can’t help but think that kitty looks a little worse for wear.

1 Like

Sending #s 13,25,27

To send: 9,11,26,28
To Rec: 1.2.9.20.21.23

received:
#6 @mikeyz1 b&w photo of someone reading. Thank you for the great card and for telling me about your self care!
#16 @jacieslar LouPaper birthday card! The 10th was the first day of school for all of my kiddos. I love school days. I can get so much work done around the house when no one is here! Thank you!
#29 @melvnoble adorable hippos! A few months back, one of our hippos gave birth to a sweet, little baby hippo named Matilda! Thank you!

1 Like

#29 - One postcard to report!

#18 @LaurenceB - Thank you for this lovely owl family! The owl stickers are amazing too! Hmm, owls at an aquarium
that’s interesting. I guess I’d take an owl anywhere! :laughing:

#21 in receipt today, #15 @AccentOnHakes , #28 @TwoDoggies

#15 Karen as I love the cold this was ideal for me. Brrrrrr

#28 Terri, I love to read about ladies on The Bike, what I know for sure, it is never to too late to live your dream NEVER. Your fashionable lady is so appropriate for me. No doubt this lady would never be seen on a bike wearing that
lol I have a Vespa lol

the remainder of my Aug cards will mail today.

Sent: ALL
To Rec: 1.2.9.20.21.23