[RR] North American August 2022 Round Robin - The "It's Hotter than Blazes" Edition - Closed!

#19 received

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - thank you! All the kids at my work are back to school next week, whether for High School or College and now our staffing has cut down significantly. I can’t believe summer is over, either.

#16 @jacieslar - thank you! I love this collage, it’s so pretty! I hope your grandson is well and has a quick recovery time. It’s definitely tougher at a distance.

2 Likes

#2 reporting

#4 @jenhart sent a barn with a tobacco advertisement on the front of it, thank you Jennifer! When my husband and I do a road trip to Colorado, we go straight through with our dogs, 13 hours, a very long day, but the drive is over in one shot, haha. You and your husband should still make the drive if you want to. :slight_smile:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent the Portage Glacier near Anchorage, Alaska, thank you René! It does look like she’s freezing her butt off, literally, sitting on that ice, haha! It also looks like they stacked those pieces of ice so she could sit. Imagine how cold the water is! Brrr!

#13 @ladybug513 sent an embossed card, thank you Susan! Love the embossment of the birds wings and other feathers. I know what you mean about the dust when the wood floors are being sanded/refinished, it gets everywhere! My parents had wood flooring installed and wooo, I was out of the house for that too, haha.

#25 @Missy99 sent a Whaleboat, thank you Melissa! I always thought these cards were neat. Aww, thank you from Rascal and Nova, hehe. Please give Harvey a hug and kiss from me. I like cross stitching smaller designs, usually no bigger than 8"x10". I made each of my sisters a Holly Hobbie, but in different colors. I will make one for myself in red.

#27 @beatriceh sent Little Red Riding Hood, a new one, yay, thank you Charisse! I get excited for LRRH cards, haha. The different art styles and takes on her and the wolf are great. I think your Fairy Tales class would have been fun to take. I like short stories too, haha!

Thank you everyone!!
:nerd_face: :heart: :smile:

2 Likes

#27 @beatriceh sent 12,14, 16, 18-20 today

#5 reporting:

#4 @jenhart – Minnesota map! I’ll be driving through next month. Thanks!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade – A Bedrock Geologic map of Ohio, to match the Glacial map you sent in May. Very interesting! Thanks!

#11 @volvomom - Map of the United States! Thank you! This summer has gone by way too fast.

#13 @ladybug513 – Great little vintage map card of Nevada. I like it. Thanks!

#25 @Missy99 – I love whaleboats – thanks! I have to admit, hiking wears me out.

#26 @sarahaeyo – A 1920’s woman riding a bike, in a skirt. Sadly, I don’t ride bikes. I never did when I was younger, and I’m too old to start. Thanks for the card!

#27 @beatriceh – Another little vintage map card – Michigan. Thanks! I’m sorry you’re having to work so hard.

My Flickr album with these cards is here.

4 Likes

#9 @ljbbauer reporting:

#2 @CrimsonKing sends the A&W Root Beer Bear. You crack me up! I may have to accept this challenge! The washi is super cute too. Thank you!
#3 @Cruzin sends a very strange cat and little girl illustration that I love. You always have such fun decorations too. I would love to have more time for reading. Thank you!
#5 @carolreader sends a LP card of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. That’s not so far from me - I should visit it. Fun stamps too! Tribute bands can be great! Thank you!
#10 @emotis sends Cape Cod Whale Watching from LP. Neat washi too. Hope you had a great vacation. Thank you!
#13 @ladybug513 sends NYC. I never got to go to Brooklyn. Just Manhattan. Great Indian bike stamp. Thank you!
#15 @AccentOnHakes sends a fun 70s skaters card. Love it! Your description of your dressing style is too funny. I belong to the school of whatever is clean. Thank you!
#16 @jacieslar sends a great “still summer” card. Even though summer isn’t my favorite season, I still like to get my time in with all four. I am more of a Cranberry Bliss type. Thank you!
#21 @mdmsamm sends Gaston - a beautiful boy!! What great projects you have. Thank you!
#22 @uconn sends a red fashion card from The Met. Neat. I hope you had a great trip with your nieces and nephew. Thank you!
#24 @roxy sends a LP VW van in Pennsylvania card. Lovely. Also great washi and stamps. Thank you!
#25 @Missy99 sends a beautiful whale boat. I’ve noticed some of the others that folks have received. What a great set. Nostalgia concerts can be so fun. Thank you!
#28 @TwoDoggies sends the cover of Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox. Delightful. I don’t hear well anymore either. In my case it’s mostly from too many hours with a Walkman cranked up to 11. Thank you!

3 Likes

apologies, work has been mildly chaotic so i havent had the chance to properly update yet - but here goes!

#26 received: #2, 4, 5, 10, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, 30

2 @CrimsonKing - lesly, thank you for the fashion blast from the (very distant) past haha - we recently emerged from a 5 day long heat wave, so i definitely cant image wearing mutliple layers in all that heat and humidity! :dress:

#4 @jenhart - jennifer, i love the graphic style of the these max&oscar poster-style cards! thank you so much~ i’ve never been to the outer banks but this beach looks absolutely lovely and best of luck with the trip planning! :racehorse:

5 @carolreader - carol, thank you for the fabulous madonna card~ my first madonna memory was probably seeing the music video for ray of light on mtv as kid. her and gaga are trailblazers in their own right - love them both! :sparkles:

10 @emotis - erin, i hope you enjoyed your time in my neck of the woods~ are you originally from here? super excited about this vintage reprint; it is so interesting to see vintage illustrations of places that i am so familiar with (i pass the old state house everyday on my commute :lion::unicorn:)

14 @scoutingbear - karen, ahhh i hope you had fun on your road trip and thank you for the awesome lantern press grand canyon card :desert:; love all the little individual vignettes that create the larger image on this poster-style card!

17 @YOIYUMTEWA - rick, thank you for this vintage reprint of a snap shot of james stewart! anchors aweigh did indeed come out in 1945 so i think your guess it right! :film_strip:

19 @ellistrations - barbara, this such a cute totoro card omg - thank you! :seedling: it is so sweet that you have a weekly call with your family - i cant even get my mom to text me back sometimes haha. love the classic love stamps!

22 @uconn - james, thank you for the latest addition to my lego still life card collection! :butter: hope you are keeping cool, as well - these past weeks have been brutal but really enjoying the current cooler (and less humid) weather! awesome stamps, as always!

24 @roxy- brenda sends a trio of dapper gentlemen - why do i see them suddenly breakingout into song barbershop style haha?:barber:thank you so much!

30 @RockyRoadTrip - rocky, thank you for the risqué soccer postcard (yes, definitely fits the fifa theme!) haha. honestly, if you didnt point it out i would have missed it and now it is all i can see :flushed:

5 Likes

#6 reporting all of mine are in today’s mail or earlier

Lots to report :slight_smile:

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a nice card of an old advertising from the Sideshows and Spectacles series. Fun

#3 @Cruzin sent me another great vintage CA courthouse card, Mono County!

#4 @jenhart sent a great MN card. Love that state. I didn’t realize that was where you were from.

#5 @carolreader sent a great vintage card of a painting from the TX state capitol.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a Shel Silverstein quote card. Yes, breathe, breathe. I’ve been purposively ignoring course prep until this coming Monday, one week out.

#13 @ladybug513 sent a great old county courthouse from Norfolk VA.

#15 @AccentOnHakes sent a nice de Vinci card from the Louvre

#16 @jacieslar sent me cherries!!!

#18 @LaurenceB sent a great Edward Hopper card, with awesome stamps!.

#19 @ellistrations sent a great NYC LP card with the Lady Liberty in it.

#22 @uconn sent a fun courthouse from the Choctaw Nation.

#24 @roxy sent me a nice painting card from one of the Group of Seven painters, wonderful Canadian work

#25 @Missy99 sent a fun Whaleabout card illustration!

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a fun old lettuce card. And vegan ice cream has gotten so much better!

#27 @beatriceh sent a fun pin-up card. And a great note about what you thought you wanted to do in life.

#28 @TwoDoggies sent a great big card of a map/diagram of the battle of Ypres in WWI. I think concern for gravesites is also a European thing in general too. My relatives in Slovenia always ask, “How is the family gravesite?”

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a fun and weird art card!

7 Likes

#11 has sent #1-15! Back from vacation soon to send the rest!

#8 Shesa-Renegade checking in with several received cards!! I have been very lucky again this month with so many beautiful cards.

#3 @Cruzin found her stash of shaped cards and I am the lucky recipient of one of Princess Diana. One of these days I want to wear a tiara. I found a replica of the Lovers Knot tiara (the one with the pearls) and am tempted to buy it. Decisions, decisions!

#4 @jenhart sends a card with stunning scenery. It is a solitary building in a field of long grass in Denmark. I like to imagine that the beach is just on the other side of that hill and the homeowners are able to look out far and wide. Technology changes every day, Jennifer, so let’s hope that things get infinitely easier. :heart:

#5 @carolreader sends an adorable card of two penguins, Stan and Dottie, sleeping at the National Aviary’s Penguin Point. I love penguins! I’m such an animal person. I’d be happy to be like Snow White, although I’d only want to be surrounded by the animals and not the dwarfs…HAHA

#6 @mikeyz1 sends an amazing mosaic card of beluga whales. Yesterday I took back my computer and books that I had at home for the summer. Monday starts all of the department, college, and university meetings…ugh. Our jobs would be so much easier without all of these meetings!

#13 @ladybug513 sends a card with some lovely ladies taking a dip in old fashioned swim dresses. The front of the card says “Live in the sunshine, Swim in the sea, Drink the wild air.” I actually have this quote in my laundry room because it reminds me that no matter the chores, the sea is always waiting for me. I’m so happy that you had a nice vacation. Like you, my heart belongs elsewhere. I am forever a California girl!

#15 @AccentOnHakes sends a gorgeous mosaic octopus from Santa Cruz, California. I’m with you on the octopi/octopuses! Eight arms would truly be handy for bringing in all of the grocery bags…HAHA

#24 @roxy sends a card of Malahide Castle in Dublin. I have been to Ireland. I went a couple of years ago with a tour group for two weeks. I loved the countryside so much. I know what you mean about traveling and Covid. I have such wanderlust that I cannot contain myself. My youngest son and I are going on an 11 day cruise later this year. He loves to travel as much as I do - well, both of my boys do. My oldest son and his family are leaving for 2 weeks in Scotland in less than a week. I’m so jealous…haha

#25 @Missy99 sent a beautiful card of a whaleboat. I love this so much! I love the fun facts about North Carolina. I actually spent 5 years in Wilmington at Cape Fear Community College and UNCW. I try to go back every year to see my son. I rent a little condo on Wrightsville Beach and it is pure delight. I won’t be going this year though because I am headed out with that son on a cruise.

#26 @sarahaeyo sends a card of Haystack Rock on the Oregon Coast. Oh, to see the puffins would be so great! I have been to Oregon several times and have never made it to the coast. I always seem to be there for work rather than for vacation. I need to do a PNW trip that is a real vacation.

#28 @TwoDoggies sends a castle card of The Castle of Counts in Ghent! I am so glad that you had a good vacation, and so sad to hear about the Covid. Hopefully you are recovering well. :hugs:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sends a card of Charles and Diana, the Prince and Princess of Wales. I can’t imagine having the world at your fingertips, yet being so sad and lonely. The photos of her with her children show such happiness. I’m glad she was able to find peace there. Thank you for the movie recommendation! I watched it right after it came out and enjoyed it, which I didn’t think that I would because Kristin Stewart isn’t a favorite of mine and I didn’t think she could do justice to Diana as a person.

Thank you everyone!

Received: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30

3 Likes

#4 @jenhart has many great cards to report:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade : an amazingly perfect illustration of ballet dancers. I haven’t been to the ballet since before the pandemic, I cam eagerly awaiting the release of the new season so I can go again :heart:

#11 @volvomom : colorful geckos :sunglasses: My younger daughter just told me she wants to get back into Postcrossing. Yay!

#21 @momsamm : a gorgeous painted close up of a bicycle :heart: My girls used to be afraid of the lightening bugs as little kids. The down side of the South - all the bugs bite and sting and they didn’t trust them :laughing:

#25 @Missy99 : very quirky lighthouse/squid card. This more than suffices - I love it!! I have not read Station Eleven - but I saw the show on HBO, does that count?

#26 @sarahaeyo : love this style of card - Portland bridges! My husband’s company is out of the Portland area, and my sister in law lived there for years, and yet I have never visited!

#27 @beatriceh : great lakes lighthouses - always a favorite of mine. Ugh - flying is a nightmare this summer. We actually just drove from SC to Toronto rather than hassle with a flight.

4 Likes

#3 received

#5 @carolreader Baking with Kafka - LOL! I remember reading him in high school too!

#6 @mikeyz1 the life cycle of a book…. Summer always goes by so quickly.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade I love this card!! This Nov. is a very deciding time!

#13 @ladybug513 Beautiful card! Nice to be out of the house while they work on the floors. I hate being in the middle of house renovation!

#25 @Missy99 Whaleboats! You did the whole cross country thing! We were living in Santa Cruz, then moved to FL…. Cross country is a big change! But now back but on the other side of the bay!

Thank you all for the great cards and words!

4 Likes

#27 @beatriceh sent 1, 15, 17, 22-26, 28 today

#19 received

#13 @ladybug513 - thank you! I hope you’ve enjoyed your time with your friend. It’s so rare to have that long lasting friendship from childhood. I have one and have been lucky to visit her a few times in the past. Hoping to do so again sometime soon.

#15 @AccentOnHakes - thank you! This definitely has a good bathroom wallpaper vibe to it, haha! Anytime our weather calls for heavy rain lately, it misses our area completely, though we might get a slight 5 minute drizzle.

1 Like

#2 reporting

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a stained glass rose, thank you Sarah! My roses are still producing buds, and the Japanese Beetles keep eating into the roses as they bloom. I need to spray the roses so the beetles will go away. I’m glad you got time to spend with your mom while you were (are?) out there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

#10 emotis received:
#6 @mikeyz1 sent a “I have never seen this LP card before” from Seattle of the Smith Tower. Love this. And hope you’re enjoying these last weeks of summer.
#8 @Shesa-Renegade Gorgeous Northern Lights! And yes…school supply shopping is just like Christmas! I love it!!!
#12 @Yarn-Lady Sweet lab. Agreed, the expression is classic lab! I don’t know if your lab ever signed in exasperation, but all 3 of mine do. Whenever one of them is sitting or sleeping next to me and I move or decide to get up, they just look up and let out a loud sigh. They make their feelings known for sure!

ALL SENT
To Receive: * 1, 7, 9, 11, 20, 21, 23, 24, 29

1 Like

#22 uconn

#8 @Shesa-Renegade my 2nd card this month of this cave, so cool. Thanks for this different view

#15 @AccentOnHakes fun llama thanks! Our agricultural fairs will be every weekend now into Oct, in various towns

#28 @TwoDoggies yes I went to UConn, never had class in this building, but I had a job here monitoring a computer lab in the early days of the internet. Paid for a bunch of beer :joy: love this card

1 Like

#17 has received a bunch of cool cards
"
#3 @cruzin Sacred Heart Chapel, Basilique Notre Dame, Montreal Canada. What an impressive place! I’ve thought about solar for my house here. Someone in town has it, and they’ve been happy with its performance. Cool art stickers (stamps?)

#4 @jenhart “Marvels of Minnesota” map card. Cool temperatures (and marvels) are great things to feel sappy about.

#5 @carolreader Prickly pear cactus in bloom. They are cool plants. They can be used as food, used in jelllies, salads, juice, etc etc. Yes, the museum job is a new one, and I’m having fun with it. And learning a bunch, too.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade geologic map of Pennsylvania. Love these kinds of maps. Love the sunflower sticker you used, too

#13 @ladybug513 St Margarets Church, Westminster Abbey, London. The altar area on the card looks as if it is in a small chapel. Cool. Like the “food” stickers, too. Will be doing a little of everything at the museum, including telling people about Jimmy Stewart and some of the exhibits that we have. Guess my job is as a “docent”.

#21 @mdmsamm White flowers in a vase. I’m thinking I should know what kind they are–peonies, maybe? I’ve read Margaret Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale. Have heard of Alice Munro, but have not read anything by her. Thanks for the recommendations, including what you are reading now. And you’re an author too–how cool. Like the flower stickers on the back. The stamps you used are neat, and managed to not get postmarked

#24 @roxy a humorous work themed postcard, and a humorous work message. Funny! I’ve never seed washi tape so wide. Like it. And the tree stamps.

#25 @Missy99 A whale boat that actually looks like a whale in part. Unique–I’ve never seen a picture like this before. Thanks for the book recommendation. One of my favorites is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

#26 @sarahaeyo black and white photo of a couple hugging in front of a statue in Paris, called “Tete a Tete”, 1953, by Genevieve Naylor, Black and white photos are so interesting to me for some reason. I’ve never been to the Northwest. Gotta go some day. I do know a few people there, too, so a good reason to go, in addition to the scenery

5 Likes

#13 checking in with cards from:

#3 @Cruzin - Still Life with Wild Strawberries by Adriaan Coorte. Thank you for the lovely card and the cool typewriter washi! We actually have two old manual typewriters. One was my father-in-law’s and I’m not sure where the other one came from. I haven’t tried typing on either one in years and the ribbons may be dried out. They are both currently out because of the floor refinishing. Now I have to try them!

#4 @jenhart - a comparison of the Twin Cities! Thank you for this cool, interesting card and the manual typewriter sticker. I find myself in New Jersey often enough having lunch with old friends or spending time at the beach. I’m lucky I live just one state over!

#5 @carolreader - Walt Whitman postage stamp card! Thank you for this addition to my collection. I am originally from Camden, NJ and am very familiar with Whitman and his grave in that city. It was rumored you could see his ghost walking at night, and, needless to say, my two young brothers spent many an evening at the graveyard watching for his ghost. They never did see it!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Portland Oregon Lantern Press! Thank you for this neon skyline! I’m with you in finding it hard to believe that summer vacation is just about over. School starts here on the 29th and we will all be back to schedules. Ugh! Summer has passed much too quickly.

#10 @emotis - Thank you for the Lantern Press Cape Cod Lighthouses! As always, the histories are very interesting - at least to me! Some of these have been moved a number of times, although the original masonry Three Sisters were replaced by wooden towers and then allowed to fall into the Atlantic. So glad you found this one while organizing your postcards!

#15 @AccentOnHakes - a field of golden poppies! Thank you! When we first moved into our home, we had a few red poppies growing in a garden in the backyard. The garden itself, along with a few others, was in an odd and inconvenient spot. We transferred the flowers and the poppies didn’t make it. Somehow, we just never replaced them. Should have!

#21 @mdmsamm - Thank you for the yummy looking afternoon tea! Your living on the escarpment of Niagara led me to learning a number of interesting facts about the river and the falls, so thanks for that. I like the idea of refurbishing dolls for auction and donation of the money to foodbanks. You packed a lot of info on the back of this card! Nice black & white stickers, too!

#24 @roxy - Thank you for Marblehead Lighthouse located in Marblehead, Ohio and the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the American side of the Great Lakes! I’m sorry to hear you had Covid. I expect Covid is here to stay and we will all find ourselves victims at some time in our lives. We were supposed to visit with old friends this week and are probably postponing because one of our friends is on meds for Covid and still testing positive. I’m glad you’ve recovered. Take care.

#25 @Missy99 - Love this Whaleboats card along with the others which have been posted in this thread! Thank you so much! I keep seeing ads for Only Murders in the Building, but haven’t watched it yet. Thanks for the recommendation and the fun NC facts! Love sweet potatoes!

#26 @sarahaeyo - Thank you for the American white pelican! Would love to see puffins! I have enjoyed my summer so far as I’ve spent three weeks at the beach, my favorite place to be in warm weather. I hope I get the chance to go again in September just to sit under an umbrella and read a book. It’s my happy place!

#27 @beatriceh - I just love this P&P book cover! Thank you so very much. Our youngest daughter, Sarah, has collected a number of Austen’s books with these illustrated covers and we actually bought her this one for Christmas a few years ago. As for Pinocchio, Sarah is still studying Italian to this day. She spent her semester abroad in Firenze and brought home all kinds of Pinocchio related remembrances, so it is no surprise her daughter, Giuliana, is very interested in this book and character. Postcrossers have been very kind to send postcards her way. Giuliana loves them!

#28 @TwoDoggies - the poignant In Flanders’ Fields. I am actually aware of the generational care of an adopted soldier’s grave in the Netherlands. A fellow Postcrosser and friend has been to The Netherlands to see her uncle’s grave and to meet the family caring for it. What an exceptional way to memorialize the fallen. Thank you for the lovely postcard.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - In 1945, LIFE magazine photographer, W. Eugene Smith, was severely wounded by Japanese mortar fire at Okinawa. He returned home to New York state to recuperate and was unable to hold a camera properly or take photographs for another year. After multiple surgeries, his first attempt was to photograph his two young children, Patrick and Juanita, scampering through the woods behind the house. The resulting image, entitled The Walk to Paradise Garden, became his most popular. Thanks, Rocky, for this lovely black and white. It reminds me of the twins when they were a little younger.

Thank you all for the great postage stamps, washi tape and stickers!

3 Likes

#14 reporting

#9 @ljbbauer sends me a cool art card of dice hanging from the rearview mirror. Have fun decorating the camper!

1 Like

#9 here begging for mercy - other than the one sent for #14 @scoutingbear I am behind. I will have everything in the mail before I leave for the weekend though!

1 Like