[RR] North American April 2021 RR - The Scrambling for Vaccinations Edition - Addresses Sent!

#13 @ladybug513 – Moravian Book Shop in Bethlehem, PA–My favorite book shop has just re-opened and I can hardly wait to see it again.
#21 @Beachyblonde – That is definitely a desk card–it reminds me of my desk, full of postcards and scrapbook things. thank you for the darling card.
#22 @TwoDoggies – Thank you for the colorful buildings by the beach. I love the sticker–“Seek Adventure Always”–I do!
#24 @roxy – Canada’s Wonderland looks like a fun place to visit. I wonder what music that Gypsy Band is playing!
#27 @HookedonPostcards – “The Page Turner” – what an interesting card! I wonder what book he’s reading.

2 Likes

I made the bitmoji stickers. Glad you like! :slight_smile:

#28 reporting.

#1 @cawindt Grace Episcopal Church in Yorktown, Va. I’m glad you were able to take a break and get away for awhile. Bonus for finding great seafood!

Thanks go out to:

#11 @TandemStoker - Do it for Yourself and Your Friends - a fantastic COVID card. I really love this one!

#15 @AccentOnHakes - Cow with the Point Reyes Creamery logo. Love it!

#21 @Beachyblonde - the twisted art of Isabel Samaras featuring Jeanie and Major Nelson from my faves! Such a great card!!

#25 @Jill203 - Desert Lodge Motel in Las Cruces, NM. No cars in the parking lot so it appears more like Deserted Lodge Motel. :slight_smile:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - The Franciscan restaurant at Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco. The most staged photo ever - smiling customers enthralled with the waiter pouring wine and a lobster meal showcased on an empty table in the forefront.

2 Likes

#22 @TwoDoggies Thanks for the terrific crystals post card! I’m sorry you seem so bummed, wish I could say the right thing to cheer you up! Things are getting better, not worse.

#22 Two Doggies Reporting postcards received:

#6 @mikeyz1 Card from the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto. I also visited in 1999 (can’t believe I remembered the year!). Much to my family’s dismay, I looked at every single shoe and read every single description in that museum. One of my favorites of all time.

#10 @emotis Passports and Pineapples, a lovely and colorful card with flowers & pineapples. Do enjoy Hawaii! That was my last vacation before COVID. 1 week in Kauai and 1 week in Oahu. A completely relaxing vacation with no over zealous sightseeing.

#13 @ladybug513 Another card from Hawaii, this one a vintage (circa 1968) and colorful card of Macaws sitting on Tikis from Paradise Park in Honolulu. This park was abandoned in the 1990’s and is slowly being reclaimed by the rainforest. The site was used in the filming of the TV series, Lost.
So, this postcard is a Lost treasure. AR AR.

#21 @BeachyBlonde “The Great Omi”, a man completed covered in tats in a design I’m unsure about. Unless you have found a tatoo artist to rival a true master, I wouldn’t recommend a tatoo since they are essentially permanent and as they all have a tendency to fade over time and don’t look that great when you hit your 60’s.

#24 @roxy 2 pairs of matching Adidas sneakers waiting at the train platform. One pair blue, one pair red. Another pair of unmatched Adidas waiting farther down and more in the background. Wonder if there’s a deeper meaning to be found in this picture?

Also, I wrote on my paper that I had already received a postcard from #24 @roxy but when I went through the cards again I saw the post card of Mars was actually from #25 @jill203. So, If I didn’t give proper credit to #25 I’m sorry.

#27 @HookedonPostcards a pencil drawing (I think) of a volcano erupting in the background with the words “I, for one, am longing to feel your hot breath on my neck.” So. Funny. thank you!

And last, but never least from #29 @jewelldelis a very cute doggie with a football. He says: Being pregnant in high school guarantees an “A” in sex ed! The post card series is ‘Maybe Your Leg will Grow Back! Looking on the bright side with baby animals’ My friend I hope we can continue to exchange postcards, ever more outrageous in attempt to cause laughter and possible wetting of one’s pants!

5 Likes

#3 rec’d

#1 @cawindt LP Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Nice that you are able to do weekend trips!!

#24 @roxy Great set of books card! I’m that way too - “I should just order another set now”…

Thank you both!!

Thank you #21 @Beachyblonde for the adorable cat card! When we travel, we have one of my former students who comes over daily to feed, water, clean litter boxes and play with the cats. She always sends such wonderful pictures and videos for us. I’m not sure either would deal well with having to stay someplace else!

Second update is complete! It looks like all cards are sent for the month and several people are close to having received all the cards for the month already. Well done, group!

1 Like

#7 checking in

#10 @emotis - Royal Mail stamp card of a Renoir painting - I agree, cartoons cards and chocolate do made for a nice day!

#11 @TandemStoker - cute guinea pigs gardening! the squirrels here think they are gardeners and try to plant their acorns in the garden beds. One time we found we were growing peanuts and knew it had to have been the squirrels.

#12 @Yarn-Lady - beautiful butterfly! I’ve seen some of these here - none yet this year though.

#13 @ladybug513 - Vase of Flowers by Monet - I haven’t had a Monet wall calendar in years. Ours has kittens this year.

#15 @AccentOnHakes - lovely crimson-leaved canna - how was the homemade Indian dinner? I’m sure it was wonderful.

#18 @katie333 - moths and butterflies by Benjamin Wilkes - wishing you warmer weather soon!

#21 @Beachyblonde - sparkly collage card of the life cycle of a butterfly - our irises are starting to bloom

#22 @TwoDoggies - watercolor of an Arts & Crafts House by C F A Voysey - love the sunflowers in front and that it includes the floor plans. I’m sure your mother’s quilts are lovely. I’m not patient enough to hand piece mine.

#24 @roxy - illustrated doggies - the long Easter weekend was restful. Even better that my birthday fell on Good Friday this year so I didn’t have to work.

#25 @Jill203 - Whistler’s Mother - glad you get to be close to your grandchildren. I have nieces in town but my nephews are in Florida. With covid, I’ve missed seeing all of them.

#29 @jewelldelis - the Franciscan Monastery in Kennebunkport ME - lovely Tudor style but I do adore cottages as well.

Lots of great vintage stamps too! Thanks everyone. Have a great week!

3 Likes

#6 reporting

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a great card from the Chickamauga Battlefield. Seeing all those gravestones really is powerful. . .

#29 @jewelldelis sent a great University Nevada Reno card! Someday I want to visit Reno!

Thanks!

1 Like

#31 received #NA RR 2021 #23 from @normajean thanks for the Great Blue Heron. We have a few that live on the river.
They always manage to be on the side opposite from where
I am.

#28 with one today. #23 @normajean sent a “peek-a-boo” green-eyed tree frog. Can you believe it? It snowed here today! It didn’t stick, though. Right now, there’s a noisy blue jay making its presence known in the front yard. I want my grey catbirds to come back. I miss them.

#6 reporting

#22 @TwoDoggies sent a great quote card: “Beauty will save the world.”. I love the frankness related to your job! Hang in there!

#23 @normajean sent a great image of someone working with crawfish in Cajun country!

#24 @roxy sent me an image of a Cuban restauranteur with a whole lot of pig! I feel so much for our restaurants and have been ordering take out and delivery as much as we can.

#8 @emotis Thanks so much for the GREAT card of twins holding parrots. I don’t think descriptions can do it justice- but it’s terrific!

#23 @normajean A Sandra Boynton card!!! Of COURSE I know Sandra Boynton- books, cards, mugs- One of my daughter’s favorite books for me to read to her was a Sandra Boynton book. I also loved Shel Silverstein, too! Thanks so much!

#23 @normajean - a couple of charming Sandra Boynton owls who care about grammar. Yes, it made me smile, too. (I’d love to read aloud to grandchildren, but don’t have any. I have some grandnieces and grandnephews, but not nearby. I miss my elementary school reading buddies from preCOVID days. That was a fun volunteer “job”.)

#27 @HookedonPostcards - “The ABC of the World”, represented by stamps from countries - Austria, Brazil, China, Denmark, Ethiopia, etc. Love it. Yes, we’re healthy, and still staying home, though starting to plan a trip next year.

Thanks from #16.

1 Like

#19 ellistrations received

#23 @normajean - “I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been,” Winnie the Pooh, thank you! This is the truest statement I’ve heard in a long time. Love the stamp as well! The pollen has not yet let up here so allergies are going crazy. I hope by now your fence and yard are done? How do they look?

#26 @alcott1 - dog with books titled things dogs would read, thank you! Such a cute card! :slight_smile:

#27 @HookedonPostcards - Bali water palace, thank you! These really are beautiful. I hope you’re still enjoying your Spring weather.

1 Like

Thank you #8 @normajean for the stunning Ansel Adams photo and wonderful stamps. Your father sounds like a great man. I can understand why you’d still be missing him all these years later. :hugs:

Update #3 complete

April 2021 NARR

Report #1

#02 @JohnBradleyTLH: sent the iconic alligator jaws entry to one of my favorite Orlando, FL attractions, Gatorland. I have been through those jaws, done the obligatory photo opp, and had the surreal experience of watching a clan of Amish families taking in the gator-wrestling show! Thanks for the memories. I need to get back there again.

#03 @Cruzin: sent a shot of the historic Bird Cage Theatre in Tombstone, AZ, which produced the “wickedest shows” between New Orleans and San Francisco. Now it’s a tourist attraction where guests take a self-guided tour and have a shot of seeing the prostitutes and gunslingers said to haunt the building. It also has 140 bullet holes in its walls! Thanks!

#05 @CarolReader: sent a shot from the Zippo Case Museum in Bradford, PA home to the original windproof lighter. The card shows the 40-foot tall neon-sign towering over the entrance. Inside there’s 15,000 feet of display space for all things Zippo. Best of all? Free Admission! Sounds like summer road trip is in order! Thanks for sending this and telling me about your visit!

#06 @MikeyZ1: sent a vintage linen shot of the State Highway Building in Columbia, SC. It’s from a period when our infrastructure projects were revered as a source of national pride. Now I bet the building’s either been torn down or turned into a Chuck E Cheese! Thanks! Adding to my highway collection.

#07 @TreeClimber: a linen postcard of the “Avenue of Giants”, a 31 mile stretch found on the Redwood Highway (aka old Highway 101) in Northern California. This stretch also features the tree you can drive through, so I can see why this card has you itching to road trip again! Thanks!

#08 @GeoJosh: sent an interesting multi-view of Elmira, NY, which now seems to attract its tourist dollar with Mark Twain sites, including his grave site. We almost got up there last Fall, when we had a trip planned to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes, and upstate trips are still on our list. It’s always funny when towns like this produce their own postcards and what they choose to put on them. Thanks!

#9 @Mere5oh: sent a shot of Bernstein’s “Famous” Fish Grotto on Powell Street in San Francisco which was an architectural icon until it closed in 1981. Famous for the ship bow entrance that stuck out onto the sidewalk and themed dining rooms. Yes, vaccination means travel opportunities. Thanks!

#10 @Emotis: sent a Winston Churchill card of his nasty retort to Lady Soames that he would be sober by morning “but you will still be ugly”. It’s a quote no one is sure actually took place, but it’s a memorable jibe nonetheless. Glad you were able to put the Flickr search function to good use. Thanks!

Many more cards yet to come!

You can view all my April cards HERE…

All my cards have been sent.

Just waiting on 1, 4, and 23

Thanks everyone!

Rocky Road Trip #30

5 Likes

May is now open: [RR] North American May 2021 RR - The May We Be Able to Travel Soon Edition - Now Open!