[RR] North American April 2021 RR - The Scrambling for Vaccinations Edition - Addresses Sent!

#23 @normajean - a couple of charming Sandra Boynton owls who care about grammar. Yes, it made me smile, too. (I’d love to read aloud to grandchildren, but don’t have any. I have some grandnieces and grandnephews, but not nearby. I miss my elementary school reading buddies from preCOVID days. That was a fun volunteer “job”.)

#27 @HookedonPostcards - “The ABC of the World”, represented by stamps from countries - Austria, Brazil, China, Denmark, Ethiopia, etc. Love it. Yes, we’re healthy, and still staying home, though starting to plan a trip next year.

Thanks from #16.

1 Like

#19 ellistrations received

#23 @normajean - “I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been,” Winnie the Pooh, thank you! This is the truest statement I’ve heard in a long time. Love the stamp as well! The pollen has not yet let up here so allergies are going crazy. I hope by now your fence and yard are done? How do they look?

#26 @alcott1 - dog with books titled things dogs would read, thank you! Such a cute card! :slight_smile:

#27 @HookedonPostcards - Bali water palace, thank you! These really are beautiful. I hope you’re still enjoying your Spring weather.

1 Like

Thank you #8 @normajean for the stunning Ansel Adams photo and wonderful stamps. Your father sounds like a great man. I can understand why you’d still be missing him all these years later. :hugs:

Update #3 complete

April 2021 NARR

Report #1

#02 @JohnBradleyTLH: sent the iconic alligator jaws entry to one of my favorite Orlando, FL attractions, Gatorland. I have been through those jaws, done the obligatory photo opp, and had the surreal experience of watching a clan of Amish families taking in the gator-wrestling show! Thanks for the memories. I need to get back there again.

#03 @Cruzin: sent a shot of the historic Bird Cage Theatre in Tombstone, AZ, which produced the “wickedest shows” between New Orleans and San Francisco. Now it’s a tourist attraction where guests take a self-guided tour and have a shot of seeing the prostitutes and gunslingers said to haunt the building. It also has 140 bullet holes in its walls! Thanks!

#05 @CarolReader: sent a shot from the Zippo Case Museum in Bradford, PA home to the original windproof lighter. The card shows the 40-foot tall neon-sign towering over the entrance. Inside there’s 15,000 feet of display space for all things Zippo. Best of all? Free Admission! Sounds like summer road trip is in order! Thanks for sending this and telling me about your visit!

#06 @MikeyZ1: sent a vintage linen shot of the State Highway Building in Columbia, SC. It’s from a period when our infrastructure projects were revered as a source of national pride. Now I bet the building’s either been torn down or turned into a Chuck E Cheese! Thanks! Adding to my highway collection.

#07 @TreeClimber: a linen postcard of the “Avenue of Giants”, a 31 mile stretch found on the Redwood Highway (aka old Highway 101) in Northern California. This stretch also features the tree you can drive through, so I can see why this card has you itching to road trip again! Thanks!

#08 @GeoJosh: sent an interesting multi-view of Elmira, NY, which now seems to attract its tourist dollar with Mark Twain sites, including his grave site. We almost got up there last Fall, when we had a trip planned to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes, and upstate trips are still on our list. It’s always funny when towns like this produce their own postcards and what they choose to put on them. Thanks!

#9 @Mere5oh: sent a shot of Bernstein’s “Famous” Fish Grotto on Powell Street in San Francisco which was an architectural icon until it closed in 1981. Famous for the ship bow entrance that stuck out onto the sidewalk and themed dining rooms. Yes, vaccination means travel opportunities. Thanks!

#10 @Emotis: sent a Winston Churchill card of his nasty retort to Lady Soames that he would be sober by morning “but you will still be ugly”. It’s a quote no one is sure actually took place, but it’s a memorable jibe nonetheless. Glad you were able to put the Flickr search function to good use. Thanks!

Many more cards yet to come!

You can view all my April cards HERE…

All my cards have been sent.

Just waiting on 1, 4, and 23

Thanks everyone!

Rocky Road Trip #30

5 Likes

May is now open: [RR] North American May 2021 RR - The May We Be Able to Travel Soon Edition - Now Open!

More cards received:

#7 @treeclimber sent the Beautiful Maxfield Lodge in Utah, founded in 1892.

#9 @mere5oh sent a covered bridges of Vermont montage by Lantern Pres

#13 @ladybug513 sent the Quality Inn of Bedford, PA. Great sign!

Many thanks!

1 Like

#29 @jewelldelis received:

#03 - @Cruzin - Thank you for the Death card! Ooo! The Netflix series Sandman sounds great! I will definitely have to check it out when it comes.
#08 - @GeoJosh - Thank you for the cutest bat tossing pizza card. I told you the card would come! We just replaced all of our Rubbermaid with Pyrex. I definitely need to put that glass museum on my list of places to go!
#09 - @mere5oh - Thank you for the Bumming Around in London card! Productive days are always the best! Keep up the great work!
#21 - @Beachyblonde - Thank you for the basic witch card! I love it! From where did you purchase it? I definitely need to buy some of my own.
#24 - @roxy - Thank you for the NSFW card! Long weekends are definitely for “being lazy”. I call it “self-care”. :stuck_out_tongue:

To Receive: 1, 4, 16, 23

3 Likes

#12 - such nice cards!!!

7 - treeclimber — Chinese silk tapestry - beautiful - still waiting to be able to plant — high desert is tricky !
8 - GeoJosh - Steamboat Rock - yes, I’ve been there - volcanos and floods have made this incredible landscape!
9 - mere5oh — Kokopelli - I love this character in lore and legend! Oh, the allergies are real here, too!
10 - emotis — Michigan State Capitol - such a beauty! I have seen your numbers — ugh… ours are picking up and the silly side has stopped going to get vaccines.
11 - TandemStoker - A great COVID card - I like having these historic cards in my collection! Our second shots went well - hope yours do too!
15 - AccentOnHakes – a great John Deere Tractor - my husband farmed with a 55 Jubilee!
18 - katie333 - A calm card — and some great washi too!
21 - beachyblonde - Year of the Ox — always my favorite holiday for childhood memories!
22 - twodoggies — Great steam trains - they really were monsters!!!
24 - roxy — Hummingbird in Cuba – what a beauty! - I would LOVE to go there!
25 - jill203 — the Owyhee Dam — Great card - it’s not that easy to get to - that part of Oregon is sparsely populated, dirt roads, but very beautiful!
29 - jewelldelis — the California Zepher - a lovely old card! I would have loved to have ridden it in the day!
30 - RockyRoadTrip — a great cat on a piano! It is so cat!!! Any adoptions!!! That’s how we got ours!

Thank you all for the wonderful cards!

Waiting for 1-4-23-27

3 Likes

Reporting on the arrival today of these lovely postcards!

7 - @treeclimber - memories of my late philatelist/numastic father via postage stamp postcard. Thank you! The Earth Day cancellation is perfectly clear. We missed a trip to Germany last fall, due to Covid. Hope to reschedule some time … maybe fall 2022? 2nd doses won’t start rolling out here until end of June / early July. So, we wait …
12 - @yarn-lady - thank you for your thoughfulness of selecting from my ‘favourites’ … a kind of wish list. Yes… you made me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. The artist makes me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I mailed yours April 10, so it should arrive soon… :wink:
31 - @DianeM - beautiful “heartdrops”! Thank you for your selection.

Thank you all for sending such beauty and joy! :sunflower:

Jill203 - Received two postcards today!

#10 @emotis -We were fortunate to visit Alaska on a cruise, too. It was incredible. The animals and the off the grid life styles made deep impressions on me. Thank you for the Sitka, Alaska postcard. It brought back wonderful memories.

@23 @normajean - I absolutely loved your so true card about how cats think! We have had many rescue cats, all much loved. We love New Orleans, too, and look forward to going back one day. We really do miss traveling. I will Check out Jeffrey Archer. Thanks for the card, and the suggestion!

#18 @katie333 – Very interesting watercolor picture-map of Tibet. Beautiful postcard and stamps.
#23 @normajean – Wonderful advice from Winnie the Pooh – “I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been.”
Thank you!

#27 @HookedonPostcards Thanks Helen for the snowy owl! We get snow here in New England, and I can hear owls often in the evening- but I’ve never seen a snowy owl around here.

1 Like

#17 received cool cards:

#23 Normajean a little green frog holding a leaf (sort of as an umbrella) in the rain. The card is labelled as “Funny frog afraid of water”. Thanks for the author and movie and song mentions. Jeffrey Archer is one of my favorites, too! One of my favorite books is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I really like What a Wonderful World by Armstrong, too.

#27 Hookedonpostcards a stack of OLD books. Cool.

1 Like

@normajean #23 cool card from Natchitoches, LA. Cool card to add to my map. I haven’t been to LA but the food does sound delicious!
@HookedonPostcards #27 a cool rainbow stamp postcard! I love it! We seem to have missed the message of April showers as it is snowing today…I hope this is the last one!
@jewelldelis #29 Thank you for sharing a quote with me.

1 Like

#5 reporting:

#22 @TwoDoggies – a Mincing Mockingbird card! I love these. Sometimes it’s hard to find someone to send them to, though. Thank you. I was terrified of retiring, but so glad when I did.

#23 @normajean – what a pretty card / design featuring Louisiana! Thanks for sending it. I just checked out “rebounding”. Looks interesting, but I’d be afraid to invest in a mini trampoline before I knew if I liked it or not.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip – hey, I still love these anti-Trump cards. This Cat-in-the-Hat flavor is hilarious! Yes, we’re certainly not out of the proverbial woods. Thanks for a great card.

April 2021 NARR

Report #2

#11 @TandemStoker: sent a timely reminder to keep wearing our face masks along with following other pandemic safety protocols. All good things to remember as numbers till continue to spike. Thanks for thinking of me!

#12 @Yarn-Lady: sent a shot of the Como Lake Park Lighthouse in Lancaster, NY. I love this faux structures that were built as decoration, not out of practicality. This one is particularly impressive because of its stone masonry. That’s a lot of expense and effort! Yeah, I stopped reposting Tik Tok videos once the imminent threat to the country left office! Thanks! Doing well.

#13 @Ladybug513: sent a terrific vintage shot of the dining room of Grossinger’s Catskill Resort. Very classy décor, like something off the Titanic. It’s hard to believe these resorts were once so popular and packed with visitors! Thanks for your hand stamp, pig sticker, and baby goat therapy stories!

#14 @BarbL: sent a shot of Marie’s Baja Fish Tacos food truck. It’s actually in Hawaii (not the Mexican Peninsula) and is known for its fresh fish. Canadian French? Good luck, I took four years of high school French and then when to Montreal! Ha, it was like a different language for them! You need to learn Quebecois!

#15 @AccentOnHakes: sent an aerial shot of Jackson, California and old gold rush town that now has a population of about 5,000. Camping in Kentucky? Daring. I find roots country music a lot more palatable than today’s pop-rock country. I’ll leave it at that. Thanks!

Many more cards yet to come!

You can view all my April cards HERE…

All my cards have been sent.

Thanks everyone!

Rocky Road Trip #30

#3 rec’d

#21 @Beachyblonde LP Sidebar cocktail recipe! I miss my cocktail hours with friends!

#23 @normajean cute cat card!! I firmly believe that the cat picks it’s “person” not the other way around!

Thank you both for the great cards!

1 Like

#13 with more postcards from:

#7 @treeclimber - Thank you so very much for the very cute and colorful Snoopy card you sent for my granddaughter. She currently has four dancing Snoopy and I have lost count of how many stuffed ones. She is going to love it! I can’t thank you enough!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you for this terrific Volunteer State map card! I checked the website and suspect she is from Tennessee as this is the only map card I could find. I hope she considers doing other states. DYK the Ladybug is the Official State Insect of New York, Ohio, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Tennessee and the Official State Bug of Delaware? They get around!

#23 @normajean - Thank you very much for the great shot of the doors on Preservation Hall in the French Quarter. The younger of our two daughters was married in NOLA a few years ago and we visited Preservation Hall. Had a wonderful time in the city, but somehow managed to miss “snow balls!” Now I have to return! And thanks for the Ox stamp and stickers!

#24 @roxy - I’ve wanted to visit Prince Edward Island ever since reading Anne of Green Gables, but just never made it there. Thank you for the one of many lighthouses to be found along P.E.I.'s coastline. Love your cute monthly RR stickers!

#27 @HookedonPostcards - Thank you for the typewriter keyboard! I’d say I’m in good company with Tom Hanks! I learned on a manual typewriter with a blind keyboard. You had to look above the blackboard to see the picture of the keys. I’m great with the letters, but the numbers still escape me!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you for the Florida pelican sunset. It certainly has been a long year with really no guarantees for when it will be truly safe to travel. Our daughter spends a couple of days from 3 to 11+ pm in a spare bedroom at our house making trace calls for Covid cases coming through the hospital by which she is employed. Two nights ago, a 25 year old nurse, who was vaccinated, coded and collapsed on the hospital floor and tested positive for Covid. Elizabeth picked up the call just before 11 pm and it took until 1 am for her to track down and notify all departments the nurse interacted with during her shift and then to document her findings. This activity is in addition to her regular job as the Director of a Pediatric Urgent Care and as the mother of a soon to be 5 yr. old and a soon to be 3 yr. old. Frankly, she’s exhausted. I feel we are living our new normal.

2 Likes

Received from #4 @anon38654847

The stretchy legged elephant. I still haven’t figured that one out! I agree about the weather. We’ve had at least a 20 degree shift (drop) in temp today with some bright sun and howling wind. What?