[RR] 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

My cards are ready to go out tomorrow. Good luck, everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally forgot to post here that I sent out all the cards on the 8th. But I have amazing news.

My first card arrived yesterday from #2 @Autumn_Jo

I actually really wanted to go to this meetup but it was a bit far so Iā€™m so happy to have received this card :heart:

3 Likes

First cards have come in!
Received from #16 @HerCircusMind Thank you for this cute cat card! Taking a boat on Lake Erie sounds fun! Hope you had a good view as well, we had some light clouds but had a perfect view of totality :blush:

and #19 @Hazygirl We bought the same cards :wink: great minds! All the schools around here closed accept for my brothers so he skipped as well. Couldnā€™t miss this possibly once in a lifetime event!

3 Likes

Also yā€™all I wanna apologize in advance. I really thought the Johnson space center would be selling eclipse themed postcards, but they didnā€™t :frowning: so I sent out a mix of space themed ones and tried to tailor them to your profiles. So I apologize for dropping the ball on that but I did get them hand cancelled and sent them out day of the eclipse. :disappointed::pleading_face:

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry about it! Weā€™re just here to have fun and send postcards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, for such a short trip through Ohio, that poor cat had a rough journey!

1 Like

So far,I have gotten cards from
#15 @AtlasPostal
#2 @Autumn_Jo
#19 @Hazygirl

So much fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

#19 hazygirl reporting

#15 @AtlasPostal sent Akron Ohio. Where I live was not in the path of totality, but we still had a great view. It was peeking right when school let out, and when the kids all had glasses and really loved looking at it.

3 Likes

Sorry I didnā€™t update here earlier, but all cards were postmarked and mailed out on Monday! Iā€™m so happy to hear that some arrived already! :love_letter: Iā€™m still traveling, so my updates may be a bit delayed, but Iā€™m super excited to see all your cards commemorating this incredible event! It was cloudy where I was in Leakey, Texas but we were still able to catch glimpses of it and had a wonderful time! :two_hearts: I hope you all did as well! :hugs:

2 Likes

#19 hazygirl reporting 2 great cards!

@Autumn_Jo sent a Solar Eclipse Postcrossing Meetup - that is impressive!!!

@HerCircusMind sent a Cool Eclipse Viewing Cat

2 Likes

#15 received from #2 @Autumn_Jo

Thank you so much! I especially loved the moon stamp :smiling_face: Iā€™m glad you stuck it out and had a good time!

2 Likes

Hello all! Friday I received cards from @Autumn_Jo @AtlasPostal & @Hazygirl. This was my first RR! Everyoneā€™s cards are going in the mail tomorrow but there will be a delay because I sent for a special postmark. I couldnā€™t resist. Iā€™ve written over 30 eclipse cards in the last week! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Question for yā€™all. I totally expected it to get way darker than it actually did. I wonder if that was just because I was in the city or if anyone else experienced the same thing.

How do you do that (the special postmark)? Ive never done it before and saw you post about it so i tried to do it (sent a pre-adressed postcard in an envelope to one of the addresses listed) but i wonder if you have any tips/instructions for the next cool postmark

1 Like

There are two ways:

1. Send a written and stamped postcard/card to the specified address. They will apply the postmark and send on to the recipient.
  2. Send a blank/unwritten and stamped postcard with a Self addressed stamped envelope. They will apply the postmark and send the cards back to you.

Iā€™m obsessed! New ones come out every other Thursday.

2 Likes

I thought it would too. I was in 99% and it didnā€™t seem that dark to me but the street lights did come on. I canā€™t remember 2017.

1 Like

I was in the path of totality and while it did get reasonably dark, it felt more like half an hour past sunset than total darkness.

1 Like

So I can write a postcard like i normally would, just stick it into an envelope and on the envelope put the address for the pictorial postmark?

the ansel adams stamps are coming out soon so i wanna try to get the FDOI for those.

1 Like

Updating that today I received a card from @KOH24 with a cool partial eclipse photo from NASA.

I didnā€™t think totality seemed as dark this time as it did in 2017, but I attributed that (incorrectly or no) to being on the water and/or the clouds? Iā€™m not sure, but in 2017 I wasnā€™t prepared and was unsure of what to look at as totality hit, so this year I focused on the horizon instead of the eclipse, and it was incredible watching the shadow take over the sky, even if it didnā€™t get as dark as I was expecting :slight_smile:

Also, Iā€™m really looking forward to the special cancellation! I thought about it but didnā€™t think theyā€™d show up well on my postcards.

4 Likes

I have no idea how this happened. Becuase itā€™s not like I put my return address on the postcard but somehow the card I mailed out to @dchristian75 which was meant for MO, ended up at my house in Calif. wtf how does that even happen

1 Like