Royal Mail Mint Stamps older

Hello all,

I want to use different stamps from the 80’s etc which are mint.

Can I still use stamps from 20 years ago? I have seen some great lots on Ebay etc

I’d love to be able to send out some cool designed stamps instead of the normal ones currently in use.

Per Royal Mail:

Do stamps have an expiry date?

Stamps without a specified monetary value are described as Non Value Indicator (NVI) and are typically First and Second Class stamps. These do not have an expiry date, therefore can be used regardless of the length of time you’ve had them. Stamps with a monetary value also do not have an expiry date and can be combined to make up the value of postage required.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Also by Wikipedia:

Blockquote
In the United Kingdom, earlier issues have been demonetized on several occasions. The first when stamps issued during the reigns of Queen Victoria and King Edward VII (issued 1840 to 1911) are no longer valid for postage. The second, early in 1970, when the stamps issued during the reigns of King George V, King Edward VIII and King George VI (issued 1911 to 1952) ceased to be valid and the third some months after the introduction in 1971 of decimal currency, when all stamps with pre-decimalization values were demonetized. Queen Elizabeth II £1 value stamps issued prior to 1971 are identifiable by design but remain valid for postage.

1 Like

UK decimal stamps of all sorts can be used, but the halfpenny can cause issues. Don’t assume that the halfpenny counts, it largely depends on revenue protection officers’ discretion (i.e. if you put two 17.5p stamps on it may only count as 34p not 35p). 1st, 2nd and E stamps count - the rate for E now is £1.70 given the recent rise in postage costs. So, all stamps back to 15.2.71 are still valid in UK.