Royal Mail 'cyber-incident' hits overseas post

My thoughts exact, I was a little disappointed not to draw any UK address in 2022.

4 Likes

Could admins maybe restrict us to UK/CI/IOM addresses until resolved, for those who have the “same country” flag set at least ?

On lighter note, excited to be going to buy my Iron Maiden Stamps tomorrow morning :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Oh yeah that’s another point, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and possibly even Gibraltar will have their mail affected by this too.

I’ve notice that the Isle of Man & Guernsey have also suspended international mail because of RM’s incident, but Jersey is redirecting mail via FedEx.

Gibraltar will get out of jail by sending mail via Spain I guess.

*random thought of the day :yum:

5 Likes

New notice on the website when going to send a new postcard: take a break! I shall be good and obey.

11 Likes

Oh, okay . Thanks for letting us know.

The announcement is now also on the front page of the Royal Mail website. Do keep holding back your international post!

2 Likes

And the link takes you to the Incident Page, and it’s official, asking you to hold back international mail!

3 Likes

It’s a real shame… I do hope they get sorted soon but a bit of research online shows that similar incidents historically have not been a quick fix… we shall see…

Not being able to Postcross for a while is an inconvenience, but I do feel for businesses small and not-so-small who rely on these services for their livelihoods.

Hopefully there will be a postmortem afterwards, although privatized this is key national infrastructure and worrying it’s crumbled like this…

5 Likes

We shall have to make use of UK round robins or other exchanges to satisfy our postcrossing fix! If anyone fancies a swap, drop me a message :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Still on specific update on the RM site :frowning:

Nothing seems to have changed since last Wednesday. This puts me in mind of the NHS ransomware attack in 2017. I can’t remember how long that disruption lasted.

4 Likes

do you get mail from outside the country? or is that blocked too?
(mailed a card to UK last friday and hope it’ll reach UK at all … was one I liked and I put nice stamps on - although not as nice as Iron Maiden stamps)

@Lachgas Inbound mail is not affected in the same way, there may be slight delays but I recieved a postcard from Canada today and one from Italy yesterday so things are still getting through :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good for you so you can at least get mail from everywhere. fingers crossed sending is possible again soon.

and just in the second the message about your reply popped up the registration mail for the UK card came (fun fact it was the fastest of that batch, even faster than one to NL, I’m impressed)

1 Like

I have received 5 postcards written last Friday (so after the cyber incident had started). These postcards are from the Netherlands and Germany. There is no problem with inbound international post.

3 Likes

Took RM a day to inform the public… How cyber-attack on Royal Mail has left firms in limbo - BBC News

Someone elsewhere also heard that it could take months to sort. RM are [insert choice of not pleasant words].

5 Likes

Months in which we can’t send and post postcards. It’s such a shame we aren’t allowed to just send within the UK.

5 Likes

I haven’t been checking the news and completely missed this! I’d just stuck an international postcard in the postbox on Monday too. I was already taking a break from official Postcrossing to have a bunch of slots for February (InCoWriMo) but who knows if that will happen now.

I wonder how long until Postcrossing puts suspension on where UK addresses can send

3 Likes

I wonder if they can allow us just to draw UK addresses?

3 Likes

I did ask via the contact form and got a reply from Ana saying it wasn’t possible because of the design of the system. Such a pity. I’ve already received more than I’ve sent and I can’t do anything about it.

3 Likes