Returned Mail: What does it mean?

I tried to send one mail to Saint Pierre and Miquelon one day and it was returned to me with no CN15 attached on it. However there is a word saying GOP IKO on it. Does anyone has any idea about it?

I don’t know what “GOP IKO” means. Your envelope arrived in Vancouver (Canada) before coming back to China. You should perhaps try to contact Canada post to have an answer?

For philatelic purpose, it seems to be their address:

La Poste de Saint-Pierre
Saint-Pierre
BP 4000
97500 Saint-Pierre et Miquelon

You also can try to send them an email with your wishes. :slight_smile:
accueil-rgp.975020a@laposte.fr

Some stamps from there can be ordered on La Poste website as well:

1 Like

I surely wrote the correct address on it. I guess it may be a Canada Post problem. I will try to resend one via France and hope it will work.

1 Like

I hope so too :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’m not quite sure but it could be airport codes, you can check them on this website : Port Codes | CF Global
Perhaps your letter was missend and at the end they sent it back to you although the address was right. I hope it will work next time.

1 Like

I can barely make out the address, but St. Pierre and Miquelon is neither a country nor a part of Canada, but a part of France, and I don’t see France written on the envelope. It should not have ended up with Canada Post in Vancouver, so it was obviously misdirected.

2 Likes

China postal system regards St.Pierre and Miquelon as a separate area, so when sending registered mail they will enter St.Pierre and Miquelon in the system at acceptance. Normally the mail will be going through a transfer at Canada Post according to previous cases. This time is an exception I guess.

Translated by machine, just to show China Post recognize it as a separate reigon

Yes, it’s an overseas territory but @johnbradleytlh is right, it still belongs to France, so you should indicate the country to avoid any confusion.

1 Like

Could it be postal code?

GOP IKO can be also G0P 1K0 (G zero P one K zero)

2 Likes

It’s not just China Post, but Postcrossing as well, that treats most territories as if they were separate countries. I know that with US territories this often ends up with addresses being incorrectly formatted. It usually gets there anyway, eventually, but usually after a delay.

1 Like

I guess that is the reason.

There is a place called Saint-Pierre Baptiste in Canada and I guess maybe my mail was sent there instead of Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

2 Likes

Yup! I looked at your envelope again and that indeed looks like a Canadian postal code.

Put France on the bottom of the address and it should prevent this confusion.

Hopefully you don’t have to pay postage again.

1 Like

That may cause another problem since the Chinese mail process center may though this as a double country or area name. Which may finally cause being returned.
The way of solving this is to write via France below which will cause another problem since sending to France and St. Pierre and Miquelon cost different prices because St. Pierre and Miquelon is calculated in the Africa, South America, Oceania and elsewhere zone instead of North America.
I guess I will write “Region name:” in front of St. Pierre and Miquelon and add not Canada in front to prevent happening again.

Do you want I send to their postoffice an email in French to ask them about your situation? And ask them if you need to write “France” or “Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon” as “country”?

1 Like

They maybe missunderstood your “7” in the postal code yes. I would advice your to put a line through your 7 for they don’t confuse it with a 1.

1 Like

I don’t think that useful since China Post has its own regulation about that, usually we add Chinese country name after the English one however this time I was in a hurry and forget to do so. I guess maybe this will be another reason.

1 Like