Retired Stamps

Hello! I recently noticed a lot of stamps “missing” from the USPS website. This is my first year postcrossing and my first year really paying attention to stamps. It makes sense that the USPS would periodically retire some designs. Do they announce when they will do this, or is there no way to know when a certain design might disappear? Thanks for any help!

When I placed my order on the USPS Web site, I noticed the same thing. A few years ago, I was really wanting a particular stamp; but it was no longer on the site. That being so, I called and spoke to a CSR. He told me that when the available quantities reach about 10,000 sheets, they remove the stamp(s) from the site; but they may still be available for purchase. So I did that with the stamps I was seeking.

2 Likes

Occasionally when I order stamps at the USPS site, I’ll see a notice about when a stamp will no longer be available, but it’s more common for them to just disappear from the site when they’re gone, or to get an error message when you try to order…

I ordered some of the Sparkling Christmas Santa stamps in October, but when I tried to order them again in November, I got a message that none were available. The next time I was at the site, that stamp was gone from the catalog.

1 Like

Costco may have the sparkling christmas stamp. One year I wanted to buy 100 stamps for a quarter less than the post office and it was the year the red ones came out. Last year’s issue. AnywaysnthebCostco gave me thensparkling Santa ones.

At the end of the year, the post office will destroy all any remaining stock. They can be ordered through the catalog.

The paper catalog.

1 Like

It seems so odd they would destroy the remaining stock. I’m sure there are people who would be happy to purchase it.

Yeah they announced in the postal bulletin online when they will destroy them. Sparkling holidays is set for destruction in after Dec 31.

Yes, it is odd that they would destroy the remaining stock. I remember that, years ago, some post offices actually had retail windows dedicated solely to the selling of stamps that were no longer being issued but that people still wanted. I guess they think it wouldn’t be cost effective, nowadays, to continue the practice.

2 Likes

A few local post offices in my area still carry Sparkling Holidays.
Plus I have a Costco membership and I know from last year they have a gigantic surplus. Well, who knows.

Go on a treasure hunt.

1 Like

I heard about this before, when 2 years ago I was looking for a series of 1992 US postage stamps dedicated to the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America by H. Columbus. Then I found a note in Philately magazine about this issue, that part of the unsold circulation was destroyed according to the rules of the US Postal Service. But this release is still available on Ebay.

1 Like

I think you can call the stamp fulfillment center and ask one of the workers over the phone if they have a particular stamp you’re looking for. My phone experience with them has been very pleasant over the years. They are also really helpful in letting you know when a particular stamp will be issued, and of any denomination changes.

1-800-782-6724

2 Likes