Requesting certain stamps in bio

As far as I know, from reading in the forum but also personal experience many years ago when buying stamps on a trip to Canada, if you but a single stamp at the post office, you pay more for it than if you buy a whole booklet (10 stamps usually, I think) of them.

However, which is the actual value such stamps have (the lower or the higher), is a very good question. It has been a discussion point (that’s how I read about it in the forum) between Canadian postcrossers and also the website of Canada Post is not really clear about it. Maybe the postcrossers managed to find it out in the end, I haven’t followed the topic for a long time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No no. You get a deal on stamps if you buy in bulk. That’s all. Wow

Edited too add: @delenn_mir exactly. It can be confusing to figure out what a permanent stamp is actually worth because you don’t often pay that exact amount when buying them. We could even get into further discounts when buying from Costco but then I’d really regret commenting in this thread at all…

4 Likes

From the price of stamps for postcards wiki

On a side note, I personally wish I had a bulk discount over here - I would welcome that!
Pity the official route doesn’t discount stamps, I MAY get a discount if I purchase from people on an online marketplace.
Plus they can mail to my doorstep, so I don’t have to travel - a win!

4 Likes

Don’t worry! I would simply ignore the request.
I’m not sending much cards and have only little amount of stamps. I use them until I need new ones.
If someone don’t like them - not my problem.
And yes, I would love to fullfill any request, but limited to my ressources - and chosing a card best as I can.
Official postcrossing is not a place to collect stamps.

4 Likes

On the other hand, I receive many “Thank you for the (nice) stamps!” messages, so it’s not always a selfish demand involved.

10 Likes

I don’t mind people asking for pretty or interesting stamps, provided (1) they do so pleasantly and (2) they recognize it’s not always possible. As @Borborhick said at the top of this thread, here in Canada it’s only minimally more expensive to use 3 domestic “P” stamps in place of 1 international stamp—and infinitely more interesting, as they offer much more variety and colour. So I try to do that.

The main problem is one of space. Many “P” stamps are huge! So when space on the card is limited, I have to use small stamps as the space allows. Balancing 3 pretty stamps, a long destination address, other decorative elements (stickers/rubber stamps/washi) and then of course the text… well, it’s an art I haven’t always mastered :thinking:

8 Likes

I ordered a larger coil of the bus stamp recently and I swear they seem slightly smaller than the pane of 20!

2 Likes

That’s interesting

Do the easiest thing for you.
I have a request list, but I accept anything, its pot luck, and no guarantee that you will have any of my ‘wants’.
I found some recent Australian Stamp issues that I like, so I have stocked up.
I also found some $1.20 Technology stamps I am using with a 10c Cow.

3 Likes

I’m from the US and enjoy using a variety of stamps (current and vintage) to send postcards - they can be so interesting and decorative. I get old stamps on Etsy and buy a variety of new stamps on the USPS website - 2 first class Forever stamps plus an additional ounce stamp works when I’m not up for assembling a fun collection of other stamps. I pretty much only use the standard round international stamp on certain postcards that have a lot of pre-printed text that preclude using more than one stamp. I always hope my card recipients enjoy the fun stamps. I enjoy receiving interesting and vintage stamps too. It’s not a necessary part of the hobby, but some of us enjoy it. You aren’t required to use special stamps, of course.

12 Likes

As others have pointed out, here in Canada it’s marginally more expensive to use three Permanent stamps versus one international one. But it’s so much more colourful and interesting and each stamp tells Canada’s stories to the world (the international ones are usually rather generic or definitives eg a flag or flower).

9 Likes

I love to buy vintage stamps on Etsy, especially mixes that include a range of values. For those in the US who haven’t checked it out, here is a mix of unused 5 cent stamps, total value of $10, and cost (including shipping) of $11. It’s not for everybody, and you do have to mix them in with lower denominations, but it’s part of the fun for me! Sometimes you can find some of their postcard requests (flowers, ships, nature, etc.) on a stamp! :partying_face:

If the above link breaks, here is a link to that seller. I swear I’m not getting paid for this promotion :rofl:

5 Likes

I live in Denmark and PostNord now do the 9 digit code via their app. Stamps can still be purchased but then I have to go to the post office which isn’t always that convenient. If someone asks for specific danish stamps then I might try but they get what comes because stamps are less frequent now it seems.

Can’t you order stamps online and keep them in stock?

5 Likes

I was wondering the same and so I tried it out - it is possible to order stamps online at postnord.dk

1 Like

Hi,

I use the intl stamps exclusively for out of country. Domestic for in state. Postcrossing is about cards, not stamp collecting. There are other groups for that. It’s great if you can accommodate, but it isn’t always possible. Don’t feel bad.
One guy who said he would do direct swaps, refused to do a direct swap solely because I didn’t have a stamp he was looking for. Oh well.

Do your best, and continue to enjoy postcrossing.

Take care.
Emerald2017

3 Likes

I’ve never felt obligated to use more than 1 stamp HOWEVER, using used/cancelled can be a fun way to decorate your happy mail! That’s what Im currently doing since Canadian International stamps are so expensive (but most of all boring : / ) I like to either match the used stamps to the postcard by image or color and usually theyre so cheap!! If you make a post on the forum asking for any used stamps that collectors dont want anymore you can exchange for a postcard or something in return! Hope this helps!!

5 Likes

@Kitxel Reusing stamps is illegal. You are not only breaking Canadian Post law but also Postcrossing Guidelines .
If you find the current stamps boring, you can purchase vintage and unused stamps; stamps in mint condition.
I agree that postage is getting expensive. In the U.S., stamp prices go up twice a year. If this hobby is getting expensive for you, perhaps you should consider sending less postcards per week/month. That way, it won’t break the bank and you will continue to participate without breaking any rules.

But using those as decorations is ok. I think this is what she meant. (So, the used ones are in addition to the normal stamp.)

13 Likes

I too understood @Kitxel to mean that she uses old cancelled stamps purely for decoration, like washi tape. I’ve seen other people do this many times, it’s a fun way to add graphic interest to the postcard, especially if the recipient loves stamps. She never said she was reusing them as postage…

15 Likes