Reminder email when cards expire

It’s evidence that members don’t like expired cards. Nobody is saying that expired cards don’t exist. They exist indeed!

The census isn’t evidence for the reasons why cards expire. There aren’t any statistics on this. It’s the OP stating that cards expire out of negligence of the receivers. Yes, that may be one reason. But nobody knows how many cards expire out of negligence, and if this amount is worth all the work necessary to implement the suggestion. (Including, in the aftermath, the amount of “counselling” users asking why they’re getting these reminders and what they have done wrong.)

5 Likes

I found this very interesting:

I moved a year ago and chose not to autoregister everything travelling to me. I have received some cards forwarded by the post and some forwarded by the people who moved into my old place. Perfectly happy not knowing if any more cards were or were supposed to be on their way to me.

4 Likes

OK, sorry if I understood wrong part.
You mean this:

This isn’t about you @cassisia :hugs:
They wonder about the reason. (I do too.) Not labeling you “suspected”, only thinking the reasons behind people’s _reaction:.
Is it because the suggestion is by someone who didn’t send very much?
Is there personal dislike towards this suggester? Are they afraid they need to do something extra? Are they afraid it will reveal they have too much expired? Or is like often is, change is opposed before thinking properly, or opposed because someone else is opposed to it? Or what?

Yes, I’m an attorney speaking for her. Do you really need to ask this.

So are you saying if we don’t know all the reasons of the problem, it’s not worth even suggesting a solution?
For me it’s not that important why they expire, especially if one of the reasons is known, that it should stop thinking a solution. The Postcrossing team seems to think the same.

With this reminder we could afterwards maybe investigate it.
If the query’s for unclear ID increase, this can be one reason.
If complaint about short Hurray’s increase (:frowning: ), fear of registering could be one too.
If contacts about non-postcard, underpaid items etc. increase, that could be one reason.

And this reminder wouldn’t change it. If you move, you can still choose not to have your cards autoregistered.

@Cassisia

About my reaction:

A general explanation about behavior in psychology.
Basically when adults discuss a simple, and not very important topic, they can express their opinion and then let it go. Regardless of what anyone else thinks or does with it.

When adults don’t let go of an opinion on a small, unimportant topic, something else is going on. Then there’s a reason why people are so into it. That can be all kinds of reasons. But when people try really hard to redirect a conversation and get a topic off the table, you may wonder why.

Sometimes (in general!) people do that because they have something to hide. Because they feel the spotlight is on them. By putting the spotlight on something/someone else, they are out of the spotlight. Hoping that people don’t see them / forget them.

2 Likes

@Cassisia

We heard you. It is clear that you absolutely don’t want these emails. We have heard you and responded to it. There is even a solution for it. Namely that -if this is ever made- that there will be -possibly- a checkbox that you can click on or off whether you want to receive the mails or not.

You are now repeating the same response over and over. Several people have asked to try to think along in solutions and possibilities. Listen/read to what others say/write and try to think along.

There are also people who are interested in a reminder email. People who write in their profile that you can contact them if the card you sent them has expired. There are also stories on the forum of people who on their own initiative send emails to people to whom they have sent a card, when the card has expired. And that cards have been registered after that.

Try to focus on the subject, not on people. And try to say something new instead of repeating the same opinion over and over. We take your comments seriously and we hear you, but try to be open to other opinions as well.

2 Likes

As mentioned before, it is difficult to investigate where a postcard has been lost, because if you know where the postcard was lost, then you know where the postcard is and it is therefore not lost.

But to see if we can collect a little more information, I made a poll. You will find it here.

I will take the adult route, and just let this go :rofl:

5 Likes

As I read your responses, I feel that you are negative to everyone that has a different opinion than you. It is great that you are passionate about it–but it really is okay if someone else is not passionate about expired cards, nor feels like expired cards is a problem, rather they just think it is part of the process.

9 Likes

I really hope we would discuss this topic/suggestion, not evaluate how we personally assume some person is, because that simply is not helpful (unless you help with a wrong word choise or something like that).

That CJG is your feeling, but maybe think this:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Expired Postcards

To me, such a reminder would be a reason to quit Postcrossing, to be honest. And I’ve been doing this for 10 years this month. Also, I don’t like receiving messages asking me to register a card because it has already travelled so long. Sorry folks, but if I haven’t received the card, I won’t register it. The whole point of Postcrossing is sending and receiving postcards. Otherwise you could only ask for an address, not send the card and “remind” the receiver after a while to register it. Know what I mean? And I also don’t ask you to send me a second postcard, keep your money for the next one.

I have 19 expired cards right now, most of them to Russia and the USA, but also some to other Germans. Yes, it’s annoying, but I have to live with it. Especially when it comes to Russia, there can be many reasons, I think. Very slow working postal system in some regions, confiscated for what reason ever, people emigrating because of the current political situation etc. etc. And sometimes it’s just bad luck.

4 Likes

Maybe you then should choose not to get a reminder, if this suggestion would happen.
But also then it can be your time to go, of course.

Cards that are not arrived should not be registered.

A reminder about cards that possibly have arrived is different thing - it would only ask to check if you forgot to register the card. Not to register it no matter what. Maybe check a mail pile, purse, car, between a book/calendar etc.

2 Likes

I didn’t read anywhere that it should be an option and not mandatory, sorry if I missed it. Also sorry if we don’t agree on this point. I just think it puts a lot of pressure on people and takes away a big chunk of the fun. This right here is my hobby and not a commitment. Yes, we should all play fair, and of course you can activate the option you suggested, but as long as it should be mandatory, I’m out.

2 Likes

Yes, I see your message was moved from another topic and maybe you didn’t read this here.
This is about a suggestion of reminder coming from Postcrossing, with maybe helpful link to what to do if there is no ID or other troubles with registering it etc.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Registering a card you didn’t receive

Hi everyone, sorry if my idea isn’t new. I don’t mind to get reminders about cards and etc. Once I’ve learned with help of such reminder that a new poscrosser feom China, didn’t understand all logic of postcrossing, and was using tracking number as card number.

What I don’t like, is the situation with expired cards, that are sent to people who do not login for months. I mean they defenetely will not bother with registering the card, if they didn’t bother to shutdown their account. Of course it might be that something bad happened to account owner, but let us think positively.

I think there should be some auto registration for cards, if receiver doesnt logon in 3 months.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this. I know some people have argued against it because then you don’t know if the card actually arrived or not, but I believe in the vast majority of cases the cards do arrive, so there’s a much better chance it arrived than didn’t.

I know expired cards happen to everyone but this hobby is expensive and only getting more expensive (while disposable income gets smaller due to the cost of living crises), so it’s increasingly difficult to tolerate those situations where the person just doesn’t log in (and often hasn’t registered cards for a very long time). It would be a lot less disheartening if those cases were dealt with automatically after a certain period — even if you still just have to trust that your card arrived and made the person smile, at least it would feel like there were some recognition of the effort and money you put in, even if it’s by Postcrossing and not the recipient.

5 Likes

I don’t want to say a lot because it seems … circumstantial, but I infer from experience that long-dormant accounts that should’ve registered cards do get flagged by the system for review. Takes longer than three months, however.

That’s great if true but I feel it would be to apply such a system to all accounts with travelling cards that don’t have a login for a certain amount of time — For example, I’ve previously contacted support about an account with a large gap that hadn’t registered any cards in over a year and then hadn’t logged in in over 7 months and they said expired cards are normal and they couldn’t do anything. (Of course, eventually the 12 months passed without a login and the card fell off the system.)

2 Likes