Reminder about different language backgrounds

No need to worry, it just looked a littlestange in particularly this thread.

1 Like

It was more just habit than anything. Wasn’t thinking.

1 Like

@wmiz77 and everyone else who are native English speakers

Do you think it would have been of a help or a reminder if all the suggestions mentioned above are in the Postcrossing guidelines ?

I think this is an important post here.

We have to be open and understanding to people who do not know English as a first language and may choose words that are not 100% correct to natives, such as “old” vs “older.”

But, I think it is also all of our responsibility to try and learn as we go.
I’m a native English speaker, but speak German as a Second language. So, I understand these feelings as well. In real life, it’s easy to smile and laugh whilst explaining Things which help the listener understand that you do not mean things in a bad way. Unfortunately, that doesn’t exist online. Best we can do is use emojis, which not everyone likes or maybe know how to use (kind of off-topic, but there are also many emojis that could be confusing and not understood).
But, whenever I speak German and someone tells me that a better word choice could be xyz, I try to remember that for next time.
What I mean is that Johnk60 has just given a more correct version in English and many have explained why saying “older” (or “senior”) sounds better. So, maybe some people didn’t know that, but now they know :slight_smile: I think gentle corrections are a good thing.

Anyways, I think what is sometimes confusing for me as a native English speaker is how some individuals consistently sound aggressive and pushy. I’m not always sure if it is simply because of their English skills or because they actually are being aggressive and pushy.
I try to give benefit of the doubt, but it sometimes is difficult to know.

However, in my experience with speaking with many, many non-native English speakers, the majority do not come across as rude!

I think it is important for both sides to be understanding. Misunderstandings also happen between native speakers :grimacing:

6 Likes

I don’t personally think this would help me, but would not be against it

I get the impression that this thread was started because the original poster had received unpleasant feedback regarding English usage? I hope this is rare. Once or twice I have sent a private message stating very clearly that I want to help not criticize! The person thanked me for that explaining she appreciated my information.

2 Likes

@KolmeNoitaa

May I ask which suggestion(s) are you referring to ? Only @S_Tuulia 's suggestion or my 3 suggestions above or all of them ?

This thread is about talking about what we can do to understand each other more better, no ?

So, adding something more to the Postcrossing guidelines is actually a good thing, I think. Because that is where people start with when they sign up to Postcrossing.

Sorry, I was talking about the original poster’s suggestion about having an additional sentence. Actually, reading the original post again, I am now realizing that S_Tuulia meant about having an additional sentence in the rules. For whatever reason, I thought they meant it as having a pop-up here in the forum or something.

Regardless, I think I am neutral because I think it is understood that there are many non-native English speakers here. I think people signing up for an international project like Postcrossing understand this and are already open-minded towards this.
For people that are nervous about posting in the forum in the first place, I’m not sure if adding this sentence would magically make them feel like they can now post.
With that said, if non-natives think it would help them, it would not hurt to add this sentence into the rules.

In regards to your 3 suggestions above, clubpostcards, I agree with the 1st point (although, what is basic English? That is something that can only be subjectively determined and I don’t think this whole conversation can be seen as “basic English”).
I agree with point 3 as well.

Not sure what you mean with your second point, though?

Edit: And in regards to using “basic English,” I think people would know where their personal language limits are. I sometimes read the Spanish forum and only post where I understand things. If I don’t understand a thread, I automatically don’t look into it any further. But I agree that using shortened words like “tbh, afaik, idk…” and so on should be avoided.

2 Likes

A reminder would have helped me to remember not to write abbreviations like I did. It’s a habit to do so and I didn’t even think twice about it, even WITH the conversation topic :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

@KolmeNoitaa

Err, what is basic English ? Simple, easy, basic English… hmm, what else can I say now ?

For example, my English is very easy to understand to quite many people compared to yours, right ? I do this on purpose, as I have taught people English in Japan. I tend to be careful regarding my English usage. That is pretty much what I mean by basic English.

What I mean by my suggestion # 2 is basically followed by my suggestion # 1. You can think in this way, for example :

There are 13 year-old non-native English speakers or even seniors on the forum too who are not yet in the advanced level of English. Isn ’ t it better to be mindful to see if they are catching up on your English usage, especially when you are native English speakers ?

1 Like

But I wouldn’t consider your post basic English.
To me, basic would be: “Hello, my name is Emily. I like books and travelling. My favourite colour is green.”
There is sort of a joke amongst English-speakers here in Germany that when you ask a German “can you speak English?” they reply “just a little” and then will explain to you the most complex topic in the most beautiful, perfect grammar you’ve ever heard.
So, again, I think saying “basic” is very subjective.

In response to your 2nd point, I am still not sure I understand.
If someone is responding to the messages and making sense of them as seen in their responses, is that not enough to see that they understand?
If someone writes “sorry, I am not sure I understand everything you wrote, did I understand your point correctly?” Then of course, I will do my best to explain my point in a way that they can understand.

4 Likes

@KolmeNoitaa

I think it also relates to the matter of the speed when native English speakers respond and communicate on the forum.

To me, as a person who can handle basic English, the forum communication between native English speakers and also advanced-levelled non-native English speakers are very fast, like, it did not take much time for you to respond to my posts in this thread.

Some even seem to like to talk about very technical things in general on the forum in English. Maybe translator tools can do a good job too then, but still…

I would appreciate it if people are mindful to see others are catching up or not in general, regarding English language.

So, that is why, all in all, I came up with my 3 suggestions above as well as @S_Tuulia 's suggestion in her first post.

1 Like

I’m not fully sure what I suggest myself :slight_smile:
But now at some part is says only “Use English”. This might cause someones think it should be “good”. Also it might cause someones think: it says to use English, I know it, so I know what is rude and not. So there could be the reminder, that even when members use English, they come from different cultures. They have different language skills, of course different age, schooling and understanding too.

But, it could be also pop up, like there is when you write too many posts.
Or there is sometimes the notification that wishlists are only wishlists or something like that. (Which also should be understood, but there is the reminder, and I like it even when I know I can send what I want.)

Also, I don’t think either, it would suddenly mean the non posters would now post, but maybe new members would feel more welcoming? Maybe the pop ups could help remember not to read the worst interpretation?

It was a result of many discussions regarding when I have disagreed or just written my opinion, suddenly my personality is analysed. Or there is been something seen between the lines, what I don’t know how they imagine it there. And other members told, this is why they don’t write here. They think my English is better than theirs, it’s not worth tryin to participate with lesser skills, if it is likely to get attacked.

It has not happened only to me, I remember simpliest “wrong” thing has been someone using exclamation mark :smile:, and that was seen bad, and some meanings behind that, and I think it was to somewhat new member.

For some reason I feel I have high tolerance, and mostly think, when a person needs to tell what they think about me, suddenly, in a conversation about another topic, it has no value. I even think, they don’t really mean this, but just want me to look bad/themselves better/just became angry. But I know there are more social (?) people, who care how they appear in the eyes of others and would take it more seriously maybe.

But yes, if I would be new and see that discussion, I would maybe think not worth too.
(But I started in Finnish forum, and somehow got distracted :smile: )

1 Like

I think this type is very helpful, and I think this could even be “publicly”, like write did you mean this.

Like now I will know the word old. Older is better in English.

(In Finnish the use of comparative without having anything to compare, is mostly not good language.
Also, especially the “older” with man, if you think it in Finnish, it can sound like a date ad, where an older man looks for company, often younger. (I had to ask this from some work mates, is it polite or is it only me who thinks this). So a Finn could very easily think the old is more polite.)

1 Like

I would not support this suggestion to have a reminder or edit the “Use English” sentence to ask for understanding about English usage whenever writing in the forum.

I don’t see how this reminder/editing the sentence would help in improving people be understandable. I would certainly use an ad-blocker to block any pop-up or set the reminder off in my Profile Settings.

English usage is different from one person to the next. It’s through observation and learn through mistakes that we get better in understanding others.

When there is mistakes done (with no ill-intent) that we learn from there and improve our understanding. If someone have the courage to learn and the other be understanding, there is always a way for two parties to communicate.

For those who are not familiar with the abbreviation will try to find out or ask the person what is the meaning behind such word. If the abbreviation is taken out completely, I would not aware such abbreviation even exist in the first place.

I want to see a variety usage of English from various input. Good & poor command in English. We do not say basic English. Basic is too subjective.

If the person do not try to understand you, then you have to think why does it happen in the first place? How can you be better in expressing yourself? Instead of asking others to be more understanding? Look further like how you can improve yourself.

Continuous learning more ways to express is good in improving your English command.

I am not a native English speaker myself. I believe we do not judge people based on their English command. If yes, I would not stay in this forum for close to 14 years.

6 Likes

@nisnoopy3

Thank you for your opinion.

But that is your viewpoint as someone who can already handle English pretty good, although you are not a native English speaker.

Now, I am curious of other people’ s opinons and viewpoints who consider their English is not good enough to catch up with the forum communication.

For example, how come do you think there are not so many postings by members from Japan to communicate in English, except for tag games, trades, and such ? As one from Japan myself, I think I know the reason why. It can be even frightening to even post in English for us…

So, as long as Postcrossing stays as an international platform, I think there should be some more to be added on the guidelines, not just asking to be friendly, polite and respectful, to help everyone who communicates in English on Postcrossing.

Just Use English is simply not good enough for people in certain countries.

Thus, again, that is why I came up with 3 suggestions above.

Easy English is like easy Japanese. Sayonara is easy Japanese, while anything beyond is super complicated, at least for me! :smile: In short: Easy and basic is always a point of view.

1 Like

As someone who has learned English mainly on their own, mostly by reading a lot and later also writing, I would definitely not support simplifying the communication.

When my English was still rather poor (and in my eyes it will never be as good as I want it to be), I once joined a live chatroom of a forum I had been participating in. It was all native speakers and me then. I was quite overwhelmed by the speed of the conversation but that only motivated me to do more to improve my skills.

If I hadn’t interacted with native speakers, without any special consideration for the level of my English, I wouldn’t have improved as much as I have. In my opinion limiting ourselves to basic, simple English (whatever it may mean - a different thing to everybody) would diminish everyone.

I got where I am through literally decades of learning. If I wasn’t exposed to more complicated English early on, via the things that really interested me and I desperately wanted to understand better, I never would have reached the level I am at now.

Let’s not take that chance from our fellow forum members, instead let everyone learn and improve in a friendly community which this one certainly is.

7 Likes

@delenn_mir

Thank you for your opinion.

It is really late here now so I now refrain from posting a longer response.

In short, while I can understand your viewpoints, I would still suggest the same as in above.

I have read Ana posted on General Topics that there are more than 2000 posts a day on Postcrossing and 40 topics being created, approximately.

Online…

Don ’ t you think that is rather too much for, let ’ s say, Japanese members to catch up with in English, which is a Western language, purely ? It is too overwhelming for many of us already.

There are too many to read online, in English, not just Postcrossing. And the speed of the communication is so very fast here and there, between the people who can handle English very well, not just on Postcrossing.

I always wonder why English, again the Western language, cannot be more easy, simple and basic, as in elementary schools’ English mainly, at least on Postcrossing because the main goal of all the members worldwide on Postcrossing is supposed to be to understand each other more better, basically through postcards.

I am sure there are people who learn English on Postcrossing in a fun way, including myself, but still I stand for what I suggested above, as for understanding each other itself.

If Postcrossing is a truly friendly platform for people worldwide, there is no need to keep every posts in English high-standard. Lowering standards as for English language usage generally definitely would be of a big help for many non-native English speakers worldwide, all ages.

Here are my 3 suggestions again, just in case :

1. Use simple, easy and basic English

2. Be mindful if non-native English speakers worldwide are catching up whenever you post in English

3. Show understanding when you read posts by people worldwide

I hope you get what I mean.

I wonder if you or anyone else have any other suggestions on topic ?

Okay, I go back to sleep now, zzz…

1 Like

Firstly, thank you for sharing this.
And it’s nice this way of learning worked for you. Of course different people learn different ways and this is not native speaker’s only (which this suggestion would make clearer). So the “learners” would of course try to learn, but also the one who know the language, apparently sometimes don’t know how to use it with the ones who aren’t so good - > they can learn this, instead of waiting other members being good/better. And I think the learning time is when the language learner chooses the wrong words, forgots politeness words etc.

I am not sure what the simplifying would mean, so I can’t say if hat should happen.
And of course if one is native in some language, it doesn’t mean they know how to express things clearly, or that they know all rules. There is different levels of education, some members still in schools, some maybe professors in language, it is clear we can’t expect same level or skills in language use even when it’s native user.

Actually I think, the better you are in a language and communication, the easier you spot signs that reveal the other is not used to communicate with this language, the other is maybe from different culture, maybe uses idioms in other language that sounds strange in what is now used. And you know how to create a text that is understandable, stays in topic mainly, and the thought process is easy to follow.

So yes, some learn by diving in to deep end, while others not. But I think, no one needs to follow every topic, I think it’s ok to reply older posts, not answer to everything. Some like to go slowly to water.
Problem it could be then, when someone is seen “rude” and this same person gets accusations, questions or unclear statements and interpretations, which of course this person would like to answer.
But if it comes many like this, answering and “defending” takes much more time.

Does ad blocker work for the pop ups that appear here, like when if you start a topic and it reminds something already existing?

Can you choose not seeing the reminder of how you can send any card? (The one that occassionally appears when you draw an address.)

I thought these are not personal choices, but if they are, then you could choose so of course.

Often it’s hard to improve oneself in that time and situation. For me it would be strange to wait the not so skillfull comes up better words, and the more skillfull just waited the other one trying to think what went wrong, when the more skillfull could just say it :slight_smile: