Receiving more cards than you send

I was over 50 in the plus!
Now my address was given out according to some Hurray’s.

Even if your address is not given out and you are already in the plus, you can receive postcards from…
Remote countries
Slow countries
Slow postcrossers

1 Like

Yep… I’ve currently got 5 more received than sent. However, I have 7 cards travelling and all of them are to far away places e.g. French Polynesia, so it’s going to take some time before they arrive there and are registered by the users. I guess that’s why I’m receiving quite a few in the meantime (mostly from Germany and other European countries where the post doesn’t take as long to arrive). I’m crossing fingers that my travelling ones will be received soon, though, as I’d like to write and send some more cards…

Edit: I am now on +7 cards received. I’ve looked at the average time it takes for a postcard to go from the UK to French Polynesia and it’s showing as 141 days :roll_eyes:… It’s going to be some time until it arrives!!

2 Likes

On current moment I have 52 received, 45 sent+9 traveling+2 expired. I suppose, that’s fine. My country is not the rarest one but anyway I have seen most of people, having nothing from Latvia and sent nothing to Latvia. So, nothing wrong, if somebody “gets me” a bit ahead of time.

I’ve just registered a card sent by Taiwanese user on 30 April 2021. I already had more cards received than sent on that day. I think because of postal restrictions, my address was given to that Taiwanese user due to lack of available address.

1 Like

Hi lovely Postcrossers,
I could do with some help, please.
I’ve been in hospital. It was planned so I set my account to inactive a couple of weeks early.
Now I want to restart but very slowly. I don’t think I could handle a bunch of postcards all on the same day. This has happened before even when i got an imbalance of 1.

Is there a way to become active again without opening a floodgate that I cannot register in a timely manner.?
Thanks

Maybe try and set your status to active but just keep it there for an hour, and then go back to inactive. You might get one postcard, or 12, or anywhere in between, and hopefully they are from a nice assortment of fast and slow postal countries so you receive them on different days! Have fun!

1 Like

The first time I set my account to active, I was owed around 50 cards. I was active for 24 hrs, and received only one card.

Thank you. I’ll try this
I wonder if I did half an hour at peak German and US times I might be able to increase the probability of a mixture of speeds?

Thank you. This gives me hope. The last time I was +1 I think that I received 10 or 12 all sent to me on the same day. I’m only at +10 as i had time to prepare a bit, but still fear a deluge and not having the energy to register promptly . Yet I do want to restart

When I finally opened fully, I received 61 cards sent between 3 Feb - 6 May, the most cards sent on one day seem to have been 6. Maybe the algorithm is ‘kinder’ when people are owed more?

1 Like

Hey Postcrossers,

i’m confused by my stats, because my stats show:

sent out: 13

received: 14

how is this possible? I thought you could just receive as much as you send out or rather which are registered.

On all profiles i watched are everytime shown less received, than sent.

Can someone help me out with that?

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

@Bine1122 I moved your question to this existing Topic.

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

They keep coming, they keep coming

2 Likes

a while back i had 9 more received than sent. i think i got about 12 cards in one week (which for me is quite a lot). and now my last received official is from 13 may :pensive: hopefully my cards will arrive a bit more evenly from now on. or more so, my address will be given out more evenly. on 15 april my address was given out a million times.

I think I will join this club soon. So far I have received 51 cards that has the 28th April as the day the address was drawn. That is when I set my account active again and I was due 50 cards. Also 2 users have drawn my address on the 29th and 3 in May before my first card of May arrived. :grimacing:

I posted here in March when I just started postcrossing. At that time I sent more than received. Soon I learnt that it’s common to new postcrossers from a not-so-fast country. However, now it goes to the opposite: I have received 6 more than sent so far…:thinking: It remains a question to me. You know, I’m not in a rare country. None of my travelling cards have been received for 20 days(except today one arrived), but I keep getting cards recently. I’m just curious, how can it be?

You don’t have to be in a rare country. Simply, your address was given out a number of time, and your sent cards are travelling a bit slowly. You can read many explanations in this thread :slight_smile:

I now have 5 more sent than received and no chance of any of my cards being registered any time soon, they’re either hopeless (to people who have not logged in in ages) or sent too recently to arrive just yet. I slowed down sending for a couple of weeks, but since I was quite active a few weeks before, I had lots registered and had more sent than received for many days which is so rare for me! (Also cards sent to me weren’t very fast, many took about a month).

1 Like

At this moment I have 312 sent and 330 received, I have 16 cards traveling to Germany with 40 days already, hope they arrive soon, usually the postcards I send takes between 50 and 90 days to reach it’s destination

Is this a record? (See earlier post)

I had 10 more sent than received (with 13 travelling) when I started to switch my account from inactive to active.

In total my address was given out 32 times (at least, some may still be travelling) over the next couple of days.

I’m back as fully active now,but I am still curious as to why the Postcrossing algorithm works this way and creates tge huge swing in the opposite direction.

Is anyone able to give a simple explanation?