Receiving more cards than you send

Welcome back! Just to clarify, were you asking why the cards you received were all from the USA, or were you asking why you received three when you sent only one?

1 Like

Don’t forget you have cards travelling.

1 Like

I just was totally surprised that all 3 of the cards come from the US and that they even have consecutive IDs. I wouldn’t have thought about it, if the cards were from different countries, but in this case I found it special. However, I learned through the Forum hat these things happen more often.

1 Like

and again … more than 10 more received than sent - address went out on 8th february 12 times (at least) when only about 5 cards I sent were received that day. (+ all the other days it went out)
Wouldn’t think system needs to balance out with german addresses … should be plenty in the pool I guess?!

North America can’t send to Russia, so the difference means more German addresses for us.

On this topic - I just thought this was an interesting screenshot for everyone!

That’s just the ones from Germany - I’d only had 2 cards I sent arrive on the 23rd.

2 Likes

Even in Europe itself I am finding the issue that my postcards take so much time to reach their destination… the postal service site says 8 business day to Europe, while it takes 3 times more. And then one of my cards get registered and I get one from Switzerland in two days, and the next week cards traveling those 8 business days or so from Germany but also countries as far as Puerto Rico or Japan. It doesn’t make sense!

I need to try with for example giving the postcards directly to the post office or things like that! Or sending one to myself. Do they get in the system immediately? Are they delayed for some reason? Is outgoing postcard treated differently?

If the sent/received had the same rythm there would be less disparity between sent and received in my case I think

Over December, I had 11 cards triggered by one of mine being registered (three not visible in screenshot), plus three triggered by my cards received on the 16th (I assume that’s how my address was pulled on the 15th + 18th).

It took three months for me to catch up (I received no official cards in February), and then having two of mine registered on the 11th March has triggered (at least) 14 cards my way!

I now expect to take another three months to catch up again

5 Likes

The adventures of our postcards are mysterious. And unless you put a gps on it, it’s impossible to really know what’s going on. I currently have a postcard to Spain that have been traveling for 23 days! One of my postcards arrived in Finland in 6 days but another took 25 days.

I like the unexpected of the mail, it allows to keep a little surprise :grinning:

2 Likes

I always seem to have the exact same number of sent and received…I’m a bit envious of those who suddenly get 30 cards in their mail box. Why doesn’t this happen to me?

1 Like

My guess is that it is because you are in one of the top 3 countries that send most postcards. So you are less likely to be drawn by someone with the repeated countries option unticked. I have it on and I rarely send to any other country than Germany, Russia and USA. So all the other countries are probably in more of a demand for people who desire as much diversity as possible. :person_shrugging:

It seems like just 1 card that I sent triggered at least 9 more cards sent to me (maybe some are still on the way). Now it’s starting to arrive. At least they didn’t all arrive in one day, unlike before.

After that I sent a few more cards (most already registered, very few cards traveling at the moment) and I wonder if that also triggered more cards traveling towards me even though the number of my sent and received were more or less already at balance for some time now. Maybe not all registration will trigger new card to be send. :thinking:

1 Like

Hello,

I am fairly new to Postcrossing and only five of the cards I have sent have arrived so far, but I just received a sixth card today. I thought that the website gives out your address every time one of the postcards you send arrives and therefore the number of cards received could never exceed the number of cards sent. I’m certainly not complaining because I love receiving postcards but I am just wondering how this could happen. Do you think it was just a glitch or am I mistaken about how the algorithm works?

5 Likes

This might help explain it.

1 Like

From FAQ

2 Likes

You can also read about it in this topic

1 Like

I have the opposite problem. I have 9 sent, 6 travelling, and have yet to receive my first postcard (!).

2 Likes

Triple check that you’ve entered your address correctly!

It’s 100% correct.

Then you’ve got nothing to worry about, cards will start arriving soon! My cards to your country take on average 16 days.

1 Like