Receiver was disappointed with postcard

Hi Sue,
I have received a few cards where the sender took a printout of what he/she wanted to write and pasted it to the left hand side of the card. That looks nice too.

2 Likes

Hi, Sue,

Welcome to Postcrossing!

I’m sorry you had that experience and I can see why it’d be off-putting. Please don’t let one bad apple scare you away.

I checked your profile, and noticed you’re from the US, like me. May I offer a different piece of advice? A lot of Postcrossers who don’t speak English as a first language might come across with the wrong tone of voice, especially when Google Translate gets involved. Mom is a native German speaker, and even after decades speaking English, she’s still pretty direct.

As for handwriting versus typing, I never use cursive since mine is illegible even to me. I do a lot of embroidery and typing which take their toll and will probably switch to printing out my messages and gluing them onto my postcards soon, even though I’ve seen some profiles saying not to do that. For me, it’s a disability issue. Saying, “Don’t type and glue your message to the postcard you send me,” is as insulting and harmful as saying, “Don’t wear your glasses while you write postcards to me.” I need my glasses to see my computer and my postcards.

(If I ever get a profile that says “Don’t wear your glasses while you write postcards to me,” I’m contacting Support.)

11 Likes

Oh my goodness :rofl::rofl::rofl: I’ve only been doing postcrossing for several months and thankfully, I have not come across all of those demands nor do I wish to. Your card is funny and made me laugh. Do you really send this out to those demanding and ungrateful people? If so, what has been the response? Thank you.

@Cupcake11 - I didn’t send this card, I just saw it on another person’s wall :slightly_smiling_face: Though curiosity got the best of me and I read the profiles of some of the people she has sent them to and, yes, they tend to be demanding profiles with lots of “No this” and “No that!”

3 Likes

I have sent a card to this member (who received the Don’t this Don’t that card) and I remember he does not have many Don’ts request on his profile. The profile is short and not demanding when I pick his address.

I have check with my email inbox. His profile is exactly the same as when I pick his address back in year 2018. In his Hurray message, he even offer to send me a postcard and ask for my address. What a nice person!

It’s not everyone who received this Dont’s card belong to demanding profile. Please don’t be too judgemental.

7 Likes

I didn’t say THAT profile was terribly picky. Anyone can click on it and read it. I don’t think I’m being judgemental. I suppose a very, very curious person could message the sender to find out more, but I’m content just giggling at the funny card :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit to add: If a recipient was very bothered by such a card, I think they’d remove it from their wall. Perhaps they find it humorous or at least a non-issue.

1 Like

I’m not saying that to you. To everyone, don’t be too harsh.

3 Likes

The longer you are in this hobby, the more weirdos you face. So be prepared.
It’s a part of life and part of hobby after all. There are many good people among postcrossers and there are many eccentric people as well.

Over the years I have received many strange postcards with strange texts and many strange “hurray messages”.

9 Likes

I do postcrossing for ten years now and I hardly got such a picky profile. I just disregard them and send a generic card, maybe an advertisment card, and a very short message.

3 Likes

Good afternoon. Well, that’s just crazy. I mean, I’m happy with any card. If it’s an interest, great! If it’s not, that’s great too! You like it - that’s the main thing! And the fact that it’s not handwritten, it’s your preference, there’s nothing in it. On the contrary, many people do not understand the language. handwriting and the printed version is very convenient, as for me. Do not be upset and do not pay attention!

2 Likes

I am happy that you did not give up on Postcrossing because of this experience!

New Dutch postcrossers sometimes make the mistake to send a greeting card instead of a postcard. Because in Dutch they are called they same thing. So often they were (or are?) reminded that a greeting card is not a postcard. :wink: Often people mean well, but things don’t come across as friendly. Because you are doing your best. Because English is not someones first language and things get lost in translation. Because written words simply lack tone and body language.

But I am happy that you are still sending cards!

8 Likes

Hi, Sue,

I’ve been with Postcrossing for almost 3 years.

I have found, in this group like everywhere in life, some people make a hobby of being dissatisfied.

Just do what you want to do, and (just like a normal curve), some people will love it, some will hate it, and for most it will be just fine!

Helen (judohelen)

6 Likes

Thank you @nisnoopy3 for clarifying that the user who received the card does NOT have any “don’ts and dont’s” in his profile.
Nevertheless, I have removed the links in which the username was visible from the original post and from your post.

1 Like

Please do not publish profiles of users who have too many “don’ts and don’ts” for your liking.

And please stick to the topic - this is not about demanding profiles.

4 Likes

I would like to add something about typed messages - not handwritten - that are stuck to the postcard. It is totally fine if people can’t write by hand, but in my opinion the most disappointing thing in postcrossing (and I have started to become a bit direct about it) is receiving a copypasted message. It is getting more and more frequent, in my experience, to receive messages that are not personalised, someone clearly printed a whole sheet of the same message to paste on each postcard. It’s true that this happens even with handwritten messages, but it feels so impersonal, especially when typed.

I realise this is not the situation described in this post, as the person posting had gone the effort to clearly type something personalised, but since many replies clarified that it is not a problem to type messages, I would like to point out that there is a vast differenced between typing a message for your recipient, and typing ONE message to send to everybody.

10 Likes

I have rarely received typed, pasted generic messages. I have received a typed letter (another time a long handwritten one) and a (blank, unused) postcard in an envelope together.

Lately someone didn’t like the card I sent, told it’s ugly, and because they are honest and from “place X” they always say everything, even when they know people don’t take it well. First, I know other people from this place, they have learned (?) to communicate so that they don’t talk like that.

And second, in this case I didn’t offer sending another card. It was a Moomin card, I can understand if it looks ugly, especially if one doesn’t know these characters. If they had told what they like, or been more polite about their disappointment, maybe I had offered to send another card. Now, no.

Now I wonder, should we report such members?
I was thinking, I would advise another member to report it. Every member should understand we will get cards that we don’t like. Even if we are “honest”, we don’t need to tell everything, especially like in my case they admitted, they know people don’t like it. What do I do with the information that they think it’s ugly? I can’t change the image anymore. So they intentionally hurt people, hiding behind imaginary reason because there are from place X. (I would have preferred they think it’s ugly, and not put the blame elsewhere, “I only tell this because I am from blablablaa…” like they could not stop themselves :smile:)

The same person said nice things about message, but I wonder how rude is their Hurray if they don’t like the card image and message. How would a more sensitive person take it :grimacing: or if such is someone’s first Hurray to get :frowning:

7 Likes

A boring/ugly card with not much effort at a message? Hurray = “Thank you” … and we move on.

I put the ID along the left side of the card in a different color. I was startled to have a member criticize that placement, as no one else ever mentioned it at all.

2 Likes

I also put it often there, I think it’s a safe place. And easy to spot as it’s different direction than other text. (That’s so funny to criticize the placement of an id :laughing:, I maybe could understand if it’s on top of the address, or under it, and no where else, and it was crossed by a postal worker.)

3 Likes

I’ve writen in my profile, that “I’ll send card in envelope for a distanse more than 1000 miles”. And it is definity and not negotiable for me. If anyone dislike my card in envelope - it is his problem. Yoy can’t imagine, how difficult is understanding handwriting text and numerous at the card, which spent part of its way under the rain. And such cards were more than 5 from 1.000.
And now I ask to preload images when the card is sent from USA or Australia - at their pist serwises they like to put unwashable stamps at the front of card and stickers with mashine-work information. It is igly and not understable for me.
Also, when somebody writes “tell me about your country, about you and your hobbies”, it’s take more place, than we have at the card, so I always put the card in envelop, when I have something to tell that person.
In conclution - such “pasivve-agressive” persons are in any country, in any community, and you were unlucky to find it at the beginning. Don’t pay attantion at such people and do what you like or think is right.
As to cards… sometimes, when the person writes “any card”, or didn’t complete its profile, it is rather difficult to understand, what card would be good for it. Or, when you write only 3-4 wishing in your list, and they are specific, I try to find the nearest to the person’s interests. But we couldn’t guess at 100%.
So… don’t worry, keep calm and send a card such you like!

1 Like