Receiver was disappointed with postcard

Welcome to postcrossing. It is fun. When i write my postcards out i just say about what it is and why i choose it. My writing is big and messy as well.
All my other info is on my profile.
Have fun
Kiwijanine

1 Like

Hi Sue!
I hope you stick around with Postcrossing. Don’t be discouraged by that unkind message! Sure, people have different preferences, but I think the joy of Postcrossing are the surprises that come along the way! Everyone thinks of things differently, decorates differently, etc. I certainly try to accommodate each person, but if you can’t for some reason, don’t feel bad! it’s about connection and fun!

1 Like

Hi Sue,
That was a terribly rude response. Ignore her! I’ve been a member for about a year and find the Forum games and Tags a lot of fun. Give them a try. US to US Themeless Fun is a good one :slightly_smiling_face::incoming_envelope::mailbox::love_letter: Ann

4 Likes

Hello!
Sometimes I can’t read my own handwriting.
That’s why I write in block letters.

4 Likes

As someone who recently lost the use of my right arm… I had to type out many postcards until I built up enough strength to be able to hand write again. I dictated the message into my computer, printed it out and then glued it to the back of the postcard. That way I was able to adjust the font size if I wanted to say a little bit more. No one criticized me for doing that.
That being said, people type out their postcards for any number of reasons. You do you, and don’t worry about the one or two negative naysayers.

And… Welcome to Postcrossing! I hope you stick around. There are a lot of wonderful people here.

Wren

16 Likes

I saw this one. Superb!!!
link removed by moderator

The recipient’s profile is the key!

9 Likes

And on the other hand, lots of Postcrossers ask that you send your card in an envelope as it protects the card or they find it more private. Different strokes for different folks and whatever floats your boat!!!

Question is, did she have that made after reading his profile, or did he change his profile to match it after receiving the card?! :joy:

4 Likes

If the person’s profile specifies “please, no envelope” send them a card without one in your best handwriting.

I don’t really appreciate a letter, but have tried to be polite to the few people who have sent those with a card in an envelope.

3 Likes

Now … we need a “Yes” card. :wink:
Yes, you can type. Yes, you can use washi. Yes, you can draw. Yes, you can sticker bomb. Yes, you can write politics. Yes, you can send spiders, snakes, frogs and princesses. Yes. You. Can. :laughing:
@Sue1962, welcome to Postcrossing. Do your best to follow the Postcrossing guidelines. Do not overly fret about wish lists. That’s all they are: “wishes”. @Seracker makes a good point about the opportunity to practice your handwriting, but a typed message, glued on, is fine also. I’ve received a number of those and am happy to read the extra bit that can be squeezed on.
Postcrossing is not in the business of promoting “collections”, though it’s nice if a card or stamp collector is fortunate to receive something nice for their collection.
What Postcrossing ‘is’ –
About Postcrossing - “The goal of this project is to allow anyone to send and receive postcards from all over the world!”
Under Community Guidelines - “Always send a postcard to each address you request from Postcrossing. There are no exceptions to this.”

That’s it. Just postcards with nice messages.
Have fun, join some of the many groups in the Forum, as others have mentioned. Especially, if you are also looking for penpals. You’ll meet so many more wonderful people.

11 Likes

It’s more like she’s doing something wrong.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Everyone is disappointed with their new postcard from time to time. Statistics. What can one do then? Get over it. It happens. Nonetheless someone put effort into sending a postcard so there’s no valid reason to complain.

Even if someone leaves a piece of information about their preferences in bio - it’s still just a preference. Appreciate when someone follows it. That’s it.

Postcrossing is just a nice hobby. Why make it stressful?

The lady could have written it differently. If it had been in form of a nicely written advice, it would have been way more practical and less discouraging.

But I agree that it might be better to glue a small, printed piece of paper to postcards without envelopes. I have received postcards like these.:+1:t2:

6 Likes

Hold your head high! You’ve done nothing wrong :blush:

Your only misfortune is that you came upon someone in the 2% early on in your postcrossing experience. You know, the 2% of the population that are just unkind people. You may find them anywhere in life, unfortunately :frowning_face:

I hope you choose to give yourself a chance to move past the 2% and forward toward the other 98% ! If you have an opportunity, maybe try some of the fun on the games and activities. The people on the forums I have found to be amazingly nice and helpful! :purple_heart: :blush:

8 Likes

Welcome to PostCrossing. Many of the folks here made useful comments. To be sure, that individual lacks online etiquette. That being so, how might you have handled this? If you had a posed a question in the Forum about how to send your card - naked by itself or in an envelope? I do believe that nearly everyone would have said that it should travel by itself.

Also, it sounds like you sent them a blank card? I can see why they would be disappointed. You had a couple of options here: write a message on a Post-it note and stick it to the card then insert in an envelope. Or, as others have suggested, type out your message and then stick it on the back side of the card and then mail the card by itself. I hope you enjoy PostCrossing.

1 Like

Where can I buy this?!

That is such a work of art! Such a creative design and the way it’s worded is just such poetic English.

Now I’m wondering how picky I have to make my profile in order to receive it :joy:

1 Like

Hii!

You are not doing anything wrong!
Remember that the rules of Poscrossing are sending postcards and registering the ones that you get! Apart from that you can do whatever you want; write a little bit about yourself, write with your hand, with a computer etc…

Some people are a bit picky in my opinion. But don’t let that get you down! This is a very beautiful hobby, I hope you continue enjoying it <3

I prefer handwritten and without envelopes but if I do get them I’m still grateful and polite.

5 Likes

Sue, I agree with Annazon above…except for the Negative Nancies reference. :laughing: LOL :laughing: Anna, your postcard design idea cracked me up!!

~Positive Nancy~ here :grin:

3 Likes

@Sue1962 I don’t have anything different to add, but I can say that I personally prefer a damaged postcard to a postcard in an envelope. But, I don’t say anything about envelopes in my profile because it’s really up to the sender. BUT - one of my all time favorites was a beautiful, hand-made watercolor picture, and I was very happy the sender put it in an envelope so it wasn’t damaged! Also, I agree that part of the postcard charm is seeing what fits on it! My most comfortable writing is a big, loopy script. Not good for this hobby! So, I write in small, block letters and try to keep it legible! But, I’ve received postcards with the message printed out and glued to the postcard. Whatever works!

The main thing is this is supposed to be fun for the sender and the receiver- so, HAVE FUN!

3 Likes

I enjoy all cards no matter how they are sent. I get lots that are typed, even ones that use a service.
It is the people not the paper that counts.
I would send however you like regardless of people’s preferences - preferences are preferences not absolutes.
…Kindness not Snobbery…

2 Likes