Questions regarding to USPS

I have one still traveling two weeks later from NC to WA. Cards I sent to Italy and Germany arrived in a matter of days. This card sadly has not.

1 Like

None of mine have arrived in Europe, but I expected those to take a bit. I just hope since they were all together, they all are not lost.

Moving forward, I am going to mail from a different areaā€™s post office directly.

I buy stamps of multiple denominations in bulk buys from a favorite Etsy seller. Then when I get a profile that says they LOVE stamps, I piece together 4 to 6 different stamps to make the total up. If they donā€™t make any comment about stamps particularly, I just use the Global Forever or the US postcard Forever stamp.

The only exception is when I have a specific stamp from my bulk buy that matches an item that the person loves on their profile (example - this morning, I was able to send someone the Jackie Robinson stamp).

I donā€™t collect stamps myself, but I enjoy having a lot of different options to make the stamp-crazy fellow Postcrossers happy!

4 Likes

There seem to be so many factors mailing US to US or US to overseas, that you can just never know. I got a card just this week in a Round Robin, that came from Belgium to me in 4 days! But I have sent cards to my neighboring state that took nearly 2 weeks. Between the nature of large organizational processes (such as USPS) and the fact that humans handle the mail and we all make mistakes and slip-ups, some just get very delayed or lost. (Sadly)

I hope your local processing center doesnā€™t keep you from thoroughly enjoying Postcrossing - best regards!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had to do at least nine resends with postcards going from Canada to American addresses as the first ones never made it. Travel times have also been lengthy compared to other countries.

I guess if weā€™ve done everything we can on our end correctly, thereā€™s really nothing we can do.

1 Like

Thanks. Just feeling a bit disappointed being these were my first 5 postcards to send. I thought the one going within the US would take just a few days and I could be opened up to receiving one.

Now I worry if my others going overseas will make it since I sent all the postcards together.

I am sorry to hear you had problems. Nine postcards is a lot! :pensive:

1 Like

First of all, look carefully at the recipientsā€™ received list. Some people take a while to register incoming ones, so give yourself a realistic idea of how long it takes a card from USA for that person specifically.

2 Likes

The person is super active and registers cards often throughout the week.

I have another USPS question: is final sorting done by the carriers themselves, or at the destination post office? I ask as I suspect postcards, mine or not, now seem routed to me as ā€œthat card guyā€ somewhat routinely. The ones for other tenants I leave at their door, and the mail I get not for our complex I throw back in a blue box to try again.

1 Like

My postman has refused to pick up my postcard Iā€™m supposed to send out. Itā€™s addressed directly from their profile, stamp in the correct spot, nothing odd about it. Iā€™ve left it in the mailbox with a few others and he picks them all up except the one I have to the Netherlands. Itā€™s driving me a little crazy :melting_face:
Thereā€™s no restrictions that I can see.
Should I just place it in a drop box and hope it makes its journey (nervous about this option as Iā€™m new and I donā€™t want the one of the few cards Iā€™ve sent out to not make it and expire)? Should I redo it on another card and see if that makes a difference?
Just looking for advice, or maybe some insight as to why he might not be able to pick it up. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Can you take it to the post office and ask the post master why itā€™s not being picked upā€¦.

3 Likes

Canā€™t you ask him why? Or leave a post-it with the question and asking the reason? That would also be useful to call his attention in case he hasnā€™t noticed it or heā€™s thinking something else, like ā€œwhy does she keep leaving this here?ā€ Maybe thereā€™s a misunderstanding somewhere

4 Likes

Did I understand he has not picked it up, but has picked up others (more than once), so it canā€™t be just a mistake?

Is there enough postage?

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try that on Saturday! He usually comes when Iā€™m not home so I havenā€™t been able to ask him! Thanks!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea! Iā€™ll leave a note tomorrow, and if it happens again, Iā€™ll make the trip on Saturday and just go to the office in person. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, heā€™s picked up multiple batches with no issue and just leaves the same one. Itā€™s so strange! Iā€™ve double checked the postage and it seems correct.

1 Like

I was going to say leave a note and then suggest the post office so I guess since others have said the same thing, hopefully that will work. I have traded on the forums with The Netherlands several times without a problem so hopefully it will be corrected. Let us know what happens, Iā€™m interested and good luck :blush:

Overseas is $1.45 postageā€¦might be easier to just toss in the next blue box that you drive past

Iā€™d go to the post office and ask them if thereā€™s an issue. Iā€™d explain the situation and if no issue Iā€™d ask them to educate your postal carrier

1 Like

Want to hear a real laugh. Yesterday I received back a card I sent to my uncle in New Jersey from Florida. Undeliverable (they had moved). It was a Christmas card mailed in November! 6 months! A few states away