Questions about the format of addresses

Oh, this is really Interesting. Will have a closer look from now on at Chinese addresses.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Iā€™ll print it like it is, following your translations I checked and itā€™s right
Thanks again! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hi,may I ask about chinese address?

I drew an address in China today.
Below his name, there are 11-digit numbers starting with 1.
I have sent mail to China many times, but this is the first time that this code is written. What is this code? The 6-digit zip code is written separately.

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s a phone number. Iā€™ve seen it a lot over the years and the recipient gets called by their post office if mail has arrived.

I recommend you to write it down if itā€™s provided otherwise it could happen that the card never gets delivered.

5 Likes

You are right, thatā€™s a phone number.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!! My question was cleared up.

1 Like

Thank you!!

Usually when it comes to China, the sorting center that the incoming mail arrives at depends on its destinations.For Air mail, usually, mails to Northern Part of the China arrives at Beijing, those to the East Part of the China(Yangtze River Delta)arrives at Shanghai, and for those to the Southern Part will arrive at Guangzhou. It also depends on origin countries though, mail from Japan may arrives at Dalian.
Exporting mails has a different way of using sorting center. Mostly depends on countries youā€™re sending to.According to my own experinece. Mails to Germany and UK leaves at Shanghai. Mails to Singapore,USA,Belarus and Japan leaves at Guangzhou, and those to Moldova leaves at Beijing. Russia and Kazakhstan are quite unique though, mails to Russia will be shipped to Shanghai first and export from Zhengzhou, Those to Kazakhstan leaves at Urumuqi however.

1 Like

Please, can someone advise whether there is a line order for addresses to Bulgaria.

Thank you.
Geeve.

2 Likes

Hi Geeve!

If you received an address from Bulgaria through Postcrossing, you should write it exactly as it was given to you by the website, as it has already been formatted according to the UPU guidelines. :slight_smile:

The UPU guidelines for all the countries can be found on their Addressing Knowledge Center page. Scroll down to ā€œPostal addressing systems in member countries and/or territoriesā€ and enter the country you want to check.

For Bulgaria specifically, you can check the format here: https://www.upu.int/UPU/media/upu/PostalEntitiesFiles/addressingUnit/bgrEn.pdf

Hope that helps!

11 Likes

Thanks very much. I used the link and it has solved my problem.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!.

Iā€™ve been.looking for something like this for a while - mainly out of curiosity for how to.ā€œreadā€ a mailing address in any given country!

:turtle:

4 Likes

That was very interesting. I just assumed everyone did enveithe same as the USA

1 Like

In China for example their addresses are written the opposite way round, kind of like:
CHINA
Province name
Town name
Street name
Persons name
A lot of other countries donā€™t have ZIP codes, or have their own versions, like my country. Of course addresses can vary inside the country where some rural addresses only have a few lines because the streets arenā€™t named or the houses arenā€™t numbered. The main thing is that our postcards arrive to their destination :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello @meiadeleite
But what we should do if the UPU guidelines for our country and receiver country are different?

For example, in some countries the zip code must be written in the last line, after the country name.

But, according to the UPU guidelines about Italy https://www.upu.int/UPU/media/upu/PostalEntitiesFiles/addressingUnit/itaEn.pdf (and also what we are told to do if we ask an advice at the post office), the foreign country name must be in the last line, after the zip code. This because the sorting machines first check if there is a country in the last line and - if there is - forward the mail to the international sorting center

1 Like

I sometimes repeat the country after the address block, so that it is at the bottom for our local sorting machines, but then the rest of the address follows the format of the destination country.

I donā€™t know if this makes a difference either way though.

1 Like

Iā€™d say you should trust the UPU, since most countriesā€™ sorting machines will rely on their format to send stuff abroad. Most countriesā€™ format have the destination country name in the last line anywayā€¦ Russia being the notable exception.

It is faster to use Chinese address for mail sent to China. As we all know, English is not the common language in China, soThe use of English addresses will go through a translation process. People in the translation bureau translate the addresses with ballpoint pens to the end, usually written on postcards such as streets. If the addresses are at noon, this will not happen. They arrive faster.

1 Like

Is that always the case though, because I received an address for the UK that wasnā€™t formatted correctly. I probably wouldnā€™t have noticed for any other country, but I know how UK addresses are usually set out.

It had all the right information, in fact more than you might expect, but it wasnā€™t in the correct order. Iā€™m sure any cards sent using it would arrive without issue, but it has since made me question whether addresses which look a little strange to me for other countries are definitely correct x

2 Likes

All addresses are looked at by a team member before being marked as validā€¦ but mistakes can happen! After looking at a few hundred addresses, Iā€™m afraid they all start to blur a bit :sweat_smile:

I went back and fixed this one!

4 Likes