Question: How do Direct Swaps Work?

Most of them have (CLOSED) written in the thread title. The locked one might be because I’m new.

The little lock symbols show that the categories can only be accessed if you are logged in to your Postcrossing account.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not letting me favourite the post cards of others. Have I misunderstood or is that just because I’m new?

I am logged in. That’s how I am posting right now. Perhaps it’s because I’m a newbie. That’s ok.

Yes, it’s because you’re a newbie. :wink:

Welcome to the Postcrossing community!

It’s weird though because it says that I have Basic (Level 1) Trust Level and all beginner restrictions have been removed. Anyway, I will wait and see…

1 Like

I don’t understand how it works in detail either.

Perhaps this helps?

You mean (CLOSED) like this?

If yes, that’s just an indication that the thread is closed by the one who started it :slight_smile: . Means the offered postcards are all taken or something else that made the author closed it

Perhaps you want to check out the activity and game section here https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/11

I like tag game, you choose the topic of tag you like, tag someone, ask their address in direct message, send the card (suitable with the theme of the tag) and someone will tag you to send you their card :slight_smile:

Have fun exploring the forum!

Where did you try to favourite them? Favouriting cards is not linked to how old / active an account is. On the forum you may only favourite posts, cards may only be favourited on the main site (Postcrossing.com). If you see a card in the gallery that you like, open it’s page and click the little heart beneath the picture.

Example (one random card): DE-11523552

The heart will turn red once you clicked it:

grafik

This is very helpful. Thank you. I will check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got it. Thanks. I was trying to favourite them in the gallery.

1 Like

Hello! I have not been in postcrossing that long and have never participated in a direct exchange. Do direct exchange postcards go unsigned in envelopes, or can they be sent as usual? Or does this need to be discussed with each person separately? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Usually you will contact the person that you want to swap with. If they want to trade, you will usually discuss what cards you want to trade, then mail them off. It really depends on who you contact of wether or not they want it in envelopes, written or unwritten, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer! It really helped me understand better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Direct swaps can be very good, BUT where you engage with them is most important. Only my opinion and suggestion, but offer and respond to swaps only in the Forum not The Official site. Also, if you are responding to an offer, you should probably mail first; if you post an offer, then those who respond should mail first. Best wishes…

2 Likes

May I ask why?
I’m not experienced with swaps so far, but I would say, that also this depends on what both Postcrosser agree on?
The little swaps I’ve done so far, both have shown the adressed & stamped back, then written and send simultanously.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine to mail your cards at the same time. I’ve done over 800+ hundred swaps here and never had a problem with both parties mailing the cards at the same time. And I seldom do photo proofs either (it’s not easy for me to do given tech issues) and it’s been fine.

A lot of Postcrossing activity works on trust & goodwill. You trust people to do what they’ve committed to do and they trust you to do the same. Occasionally cards go missing in transit like our official cards or people might forget to send a card, but I’ve very rarely had that happen.

And given the often slow mail systems, if you waited til you’d received their card before sending your, a swap would take months. Takes all the fun & energy out of it.

9 Likes

Welcome to Postcrossing @Margaritka_Mann !
As @LC-Canada notes, “I think it’s fine to mail your cards at the same time. … never had a problem with both parties mailing the cards at the same time.” Same with my experience.
Many Postcrossers like to see proof. That is, show an image of the item with stamp on it and also showing the address. I am happy to do this, and find it keeps us all on track. For whatever reason, it seems that by doing this one last act, I don’t forget my commitment in a swap. It’s like the process has checks/balances.
After hundreds of exchanges, I don’t think I could count on one hand the number of cards that went astray.
Finally, be certain to check the postal monitor before agreeing to a swap. There are many reasons for mail not traveling. And they change regularly.

9 Likes

@ChocCrossie My statement about avoiding swaps on the Official side comes after some disappointing experiences I and others have had. You mentioned:

Many people have agreed to swap requests on the Official side from some unscrupulous members. They innocently send their cards to such people first only to get nothing back…ever. Message requests go unanswered. After a bit, before stopping swapping on the Official side, whenever I would get a request there, I would respond that I’d be happy to swap; just let me know when you mail your card and after received, then I will mail mine. This was always met with: What? Don’t you trust me?!? My usual reply was: I really don’t know you and you requested the swap. Fully 100% of the time, I never heard from them again.

Don’t get me wrong, the majority of people here are honorable. But you have a number of cheats here too. After many years of swapping in the Forum, I’ve made some great connections. If you are interested in single-card, stamped & written swaps, I highly recommend moderated Tags and RRs in the Forum. I hope this clarifies what I said.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Questions about the forum