Question about getting postmark from Canada

Hello,

Here’s a link for that.

Pictorial cancels | Canada Post (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Your postcard that I received today actually had a nice postmark.

1 Like

Mail from Canada is rarely postmarked properly (and is then pen-canceled)… so I think that person simply wanted to avoid a pen-cancelation.

Some of the cards I received from Canada had a postmark like that (not my photo):

Maybe you could just visit your local post office and request a hand-cancel (or show the staff this photo if they don’t know what you’re talking about :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Thank you, this is informative. :slight_smile: :heartpulse:

Good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for image!

1 Like

Go to the post office/postal outlet counter and ask them to hand cancel it for you. The clerks here are always happy to do it when I ask.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will give this a try! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was able to get a hand cancel by asking, but it was obviously a strange request. He held out the stamp and said, you mean this?

It’s more work for them, so try to go when it’s not busy. Be sure to show that you only need it for one or 2 cards, not a box of 300 wedding invitations!

I was at a postal outlet in a Pharmaprix west of Montreal. It might be easier if you go to an official post office.

I wish those pictorial cancel places were closer to where I live. I’d love to be able to send those!

Pen cancels are the worst!!! They should be banned!!!

2 Likes

I just went to the post office and they took out a big square stamp and did what @duck2006 mentioned above in the image, but they did the square stamp on top of my pretty stamps and then told me that doesn’t mean they won’t take a black marker and still cross out the stamp. :face_holding_back_tears: :crying_cat_face:

I feel like maybe my ignorance was bliss, I felt better not knowing how it is handled.

1 Like

Pen cancels are the worst. I wonder if we should write a petition to the Post master whoever that person is.

I think the pen cancels have “evolved” quite bit (at least in Canada) as there were quite a few complaints in the forum about stamps being defaced/destroyed by black grease pen… but the last pen cancels I received from Canada looked like they were applied a bit more carefully – there was only a small pen mark on one edge of each stamp. Maybe they started caring about us Postcrossers :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the message! Sorry I’m not able to click the heart symbol on any of the messages as it says I am at the limit for today.

1 Like

Yes, pen cancellations are frustrating but here’s a video that explains why - it’s mostly about stopping the multi-billion dollar stamp fraud industry that costs our postal systems billions of dollars every year.

But I find that 3/4 of my cards don’t get marked up at all because they’re going through the super sorting stations in Montreal or Mississauga.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this video! I found it very informative :thinking: :heartpulse:

1 Like

you are entitled to have the postal worker hand cancel the stamps, I never felt bad asking them to do so as I paid the postage fees - I was even told that I can bundle or bag cards in batches and indicate you want them hand cancelled and deposit them in the mailbox and Canada Post will do as requested instead of sending them thru the sorting machine.

1 Like

WOW!!!
Thanks for this amazing link!

3 Likes

Hello friends!
Out of 4 cards from Canada, 3 didn’t have a postmark at all.
In fact, one of them was actually postmarked in my local post office. I wonder what is going on in there. To actually go through the work of processing incoming card. That is just bizzare.
Here: Canada stamps. Postmark: North and West Yorkshire - UK.

From Canada the automatic process gives you this:

No comment.

And I also got a US card which was cancelled and it also got put through the UK machines again and now has 2 cancellation, one on top of the other.

Anybody else has had something like that?

1 Like

Geee I did not even know we had designer ones…ours local is jut a very large circle …knew you would love the cat one

1 Like

hey, me too!
You have to send away for those and they are only available of the date of the stamps release/issue.
After that, the only way to find that postmark is the phyllatelic shops… :sob:
Have you seen the rest? in th link?
They are all gorgeous.