Printing your own postcards

Agree with all that has been said!
I’m sourcing out places to print from. I do find it to be interesting though for those people who can print on a professional level at their homes.

1 Like

Professionally printed cards usually aren’t just printouts, but they also get some kind of surface finishing/ sealing. I learned a lot about it from a postcrosser who used to work at a huge postcard production company. They were always on the way to finding the perfect paper, the perfect finishing method and so on.
For unsealed postcards the paper has to be really good so they look good and don’t get totally wrecked on their way.
So if you really want to start printing high quality postcards at home first thing you have to do is finding the perfect paper that matches your equipment.

6 Likes

Long ago, this question came up. I believe Postcrossing does not oppose the use of third-party services like Touchnote. Such services don’t violate the guidelines since the sender is using a 3rd party service to mail the card, and not the sender themselves.

Just so you know, I don’t like these services myself and dislike the one or two cards that I have received.

Well, if you really want to hear opinions about such cards, I will give you mine: I prefer store-bought, genuine cards. I admire people who use their creativity in creating professional quality cards. It’s just that generic subjects never much interested me. I always like something specifically related to other countries.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

I really like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

laugh out loud :grin:

1 Like

Like your design - might do something similar. Thanks for the idea I guess :sweat_smile: :v:

I have used Moo.

no-en.online

16 Likes

I have also had my own photos professionally printed. Also with MOO.
I was very satisfied with the result. If the photos are very good. Is also the result very, very good.

The biggest advantage of MOO is for me, that you can take at 25 postcards set, even 25 different motifs.
There are certainly cheaper providers, but the price is not everything for me.

7 Likes

this postcard is amazing!

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Is the Post also considered a third party? Czech Post has an official service where they print and send a postcards for you. I probably wouldn’t use it for official cards because people may be upset to get a printed stamp and postmark. But I wonder if it is still considered a third party since it is a company that handles your address either way. It doesn’t violate the rules to my understanding.

1 Like

I love the vintage stamp design :smiley:

I use Moo.com
(Original Postcards / 4x6 standard size / 16-17 pt thick / gloss / 1 side uncoated / 50 cards (up to 25 different designs = $37.00 + s&h)
Moo is awesome. You can have up to 25 different designs on the one order at no extra charge.
They are a little more expensive than my local print shops who will also print a variety of designs for me on one order - but my local print shops are more for advertising postcards and are not as thick or bright or glossy as Moo postcards.
Moo postcards make high quality keepsakes!
I highly recommend ordering the free Moo sample pack (their generic design samples, not yours):
MOO Sample Pack | Free Stickers, Flyers & So Much More | MOO US

4 Likes

I have my own photos printed by posterxxl. I can have up to 100 cards with 100 different motifs there. I like the quality and the price (19,99 €)
Here is one of them

4 Likes

A really great card!

1 Like

Thank you :heart_eyes:

I’ve only printed my own postcards (of my own illustrations, never photos) if I want to make them into maxicards, because store-bought postcards or even companies that print postcards can be too glossy for postmarking. I don’t want to take chances, got too many smeared postmarks that way. Some are stamps I can’t replace to make another maxicard or don’t have enough time to send another one in! I bought my blank postcards from Japan, just for printing postcards. And I let my partners know beforehand that the images are self-printed. I think many Japanese print their own postcards for New Year postcards? Anyway, I am a big fan of a Japanese illustrator Shiitake Gensodo, when I bought and swapped her cards, the seller and swap partners always let me know that the postcards are actually printed by the artist with a printer, which I am totally okay with, but they are flimsy for non-fans I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Love your design! Wanted to design my own postcard too but I didn’t. Imma do it this week bc of ur beautiful design!<3

2 Likes