Preferred way to draw addresses

In Ghana all post cards have the same cost of postage and it doesn’t really matter the destination of your postcard. I usually would draw an address as soon as i have an available slot when i stated post crossing. I have in circulation 5 postcards, 9 have received from me and i have only received 1 card from USA as a registered post card. I no longer draw addresses immediately because the cost of transportation is higher now and it would be rational to wait for more slots to post all once. :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

In the beginning I used to draw a new address quickly after a card was registered. These days I draw addresses whenever I feel like it - could be almost every day of the week, or just once, or even not at all (also depending on how much time I have, which varies a great deal).

Usually I request between 4 and 10 addresses at a time. Sometimes I draw one and write that before I get the next address, sometimes I request several in a row before I start writing. I do this especially when I see I’m near a cool ID, which I then don’t manage to get most of the time. :sweat_smile:
Either way I always finish one card before I turn my attention to the next profile, so I don’t mix things up.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, in the US, the cards will be disposed of if there is no return address. :disappointed_relieved: There is simply too much mail volume for them to hold such cards.

1 Like

Actually, question!! Do you guys always use up your SEND quota all at once, or do you save it and use it sparingly?

I draw cards anywhere from immediately to 24 hours in advance.

2 Likes

I can have 63 cards travelling, there’s no way I could afford that many at once!

The more cards you have travelling to a country the lower the chance you get another to there if you haven’t got repeated countries ticked. The system tries to give you variety.

2 Likes

I had 26 available but want to use them all up with China so I unchecked my own country and then checked repeated…I draw 5-10 addresses on a weekend and currently have 16 headed there. Will draw some more names later this week. Mail is now getting delivered in about 4 weeks but I think we will all be drawing Chinese addresses for many months to help clear the deficit

2 Likes

I do the same😊

I almost always have my slots all filled up.

1 Like

I don’t send/receive within the US at the moment, so I seldom get more than 1 or 2 Hurray messages on any given day. But I always send out a new card within 24 hours (excepting Sundays). I always draw my addresses in the morning so I can get them into the mail on the same day.

1 Like

Actually answer: No and no! I draw an address whenever I like to. There are always som slots free, when you have 100 slots.

1 Like

I only have 10 slots and most of them are going to China right now, so I pull an address as soon as I have one available which isn’t very often.

My child has 6 slots available and she never uses them all. I think she has 3 travelling right now. She will pull an address when she’s bored which, with ADHD, isn’t very often!

4 Likes

I usually wait until I have 2-3 slots until I draw new addresses. I like to send as many at once that I can, since I don’t drive and the distance to the closest mailbox is too long for my lazy self :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

At first I often draw new addresses quickly and use all my slots. Nowadays I only draw as many addresses as I can afford or how many postcards and stamps I have each month (usually not that many so I rarely get to fill all the slots no matter how much I want to). Most of the time I drew 2-4 addresses at once. Sometimes I write and send fast, sometimes I need to be slow and it took days to finish writing and decorating the cards before I can send them. It depends on my condition and because I don’t go out everyday and had to go to the post office to mail them. I do each process at night because I feel most comfortable at that time.

5 Likes

I usually do it right away but I only have 11 traveling so I only get a trickle of hurrays coming in. If I had batches at a time coming in I might have to reconsider that strategy.:smile:

3 Likes

I am new to Postcrossing and currently have 7 slots. Now I often have to wait a few days for a new slot to become available. So when a Hurray message comes in, I almost immediately pull a new address. Recently I had to wait 9 days before I got to pull a new address. I don’t really have that much patience ;). Fortunately, I have been able to draw 3 addresses again in the past two days.

9 Likes

In the beginning I also couldn’t wait for a free slot and immediately requested a new address. When I reached about 50 traveling slots, it slowed down a bit because it began to feel stressful. :sweat_smile: Now I have 94 traveling cards there are always some free ones. The last time I used them all was for the German Post December challenge. :wink:

I usually request several addresses in a row: sometimes I read each profile and decide which card to send before drawing the next address; sometimes I draw them directly one after another because I like the consecutive ID numbers. :blush:

5 Likes

Is this actually true?? I get 2 Germany, 1 Luxemborg, then 4 China pulls in a row. I wont be sending cards for a long time I think because the China ones will take so long.

2 Likes

When I first started postcrossing I asked for a new address as soon as one of my cards arrived. So I always had all available sports travelling.
Now, after almost 10 years of postcrossing and 100 slots available I rareley send them all (I think I never had 100 cards travelling at the same time) because it takes a lot of time to write that many cards. I plan to send some to China with repeated countries soon. I am inactive at the moment anyway so I don’t mind to wait for my cards to arrive. But I doubt I will be able to send 100 cards.

4 Likes

@Robinchen Wow! 100 cards seems mind boggling! It’ll definitely be awhile for me to get to that count.

1 Like