Preferred way to draw addresses

Simply when I have time. Which is usually at weekends. I don’t usually write more than 3 in a row. Often I draw one by one, so I write one then see if I have time and desire to do another.

Generally 1 by 1 as new slots become available.
I only save them up if I’m going away & want to use travel mode. This does slow down my stats/progress when I do so.
Currently I’m on 12 slots…
I would just like enough slots so I don’t have to stop participating for weeks when wanting some addresses for a holiday or WPD . One day…

I like to draw addresses in the morning, because it feels like I am more likely to get an addy in Europe, which costs me 70 cents less in postage, than outside Europe.

But often enough I get a new addy whenever, sometimes just one, sometimes a few. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I started out with Postcrossing I always got a new addy as soon as I could! :joy:

I understand the passion! :smile:

4 Likes

Currently I draw one adress a day. But this is an exception. In November I will return to my usual frequency of sending one card every other day. This is perfect for me - each sent or received card keeps a special one for me and does not get lost in the crowd. And the costs for cards and stamps are not higher than I can or want afford.
I draw adresses at any time of day or night, depending on my scedule and mood.

3 Likes

I’ve been a member for just over one year. I’m still at the stage where I will draw an address as soon as I have a card registered. It was pretty difficult for me to save address slots for WPD. I had to engage all of my very limited patience. I don’t know how long the novelty will take to wear off. But I think it’ll be a good while yet!! :yum:

8 Likes

I have ten slots in total. Usually I draw one or two address when the travel time of my traveling postcards is like an equidistance sequence (10, 20, …, 60 days). So that I won’t wait for too long to have a new available slot when I am suddenly eager to prepare a postcard and write something. China Post is not so efficient here and I have to presume that every card will be expired. :frowning: I am used to save one spare available slot as well. So when I have an unexpected chance to mail a special postcard (like traveling to a new place and there is a post office), I could mail at least one.

2 Likes

I draw addresses when I feel like it, often about once or twice a week unless I’m saving them, for example, for a trip abroad or a special day. I usually write 5-10 postcards at once. I always have so many free slots available so no need to worry about that.

3 Likes

I’ve only been here for a year and have 11 slots only. I usually draw the address as soon as space becomes available. I am very curious and impatient to know where the next postcard from me will go! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve sent out over 7,000 postcards. I like to wait until I have ten-fourteen addresses, whatever amount will take up a full printed page.
Sometimes I’ll draw a address and hand-write it.

2 Likes

Same here. I saved all my slots for WPD and a world postcard day meeting recently though.

I usually do it at the beginning of the month, drawing 4 or 5 at a time.

1 Like

I wait until I have 5 open slots, and then draw the addresses all at once, trying hard not to look at what countries I’ve drawn until I’m done. Then I look at the little flags next to the cards I’ve drawn, and try to guess the countries are (to work on learning the flags!), and then check if I’m right. It adds a little more fun to the great enjoyment this hobby already gives me!

3 Likes

I have a very busy life outside Postcrossing so I, unfortunately, don’t pull an address right away. With two toddlers, this hobby has become a moment of “me time” so I will usually pull addresses once a week and do 3-5 at a time.

So far I’ve noticed if I pull addresses after my kids go to sleep, around 9pm EST, then I get a lot of USA cards. If I pull in the early morning, 6-7am EST, then I get more European cards- especially Germany! This doesn’t bother me right now since I’m just getting back into the hobby.

Also, like others have mentioned, I like taking the time to read profiles and pick special cards for people. I feel I can improve on my messages and decorations, but I definitely put a lot of thought into each card! :heart:

4 Likes

@tpuchalski I would imagine American post has same rules to Ireland. They are not allowed to throw your cards out because the government in force a embargo on Post being send to Russia. I would imagine your cards are now sitting in bags or boxes waiting for the embargo to be lifted so they can send them to thier final destination.

You pay for a service and I would imagine they are legally obliged to complete that transaction.

Your cards are not lost they’re probably sitting in a sorting office somewhere.

2 Likes

I draw one at a time and I take my time thinking about the person and their profile (often overnight). I usually draw at least one address per day, sometimes 2 (or even 3), but I never draw those addresses until I have completed the previous card.

Because of illness, I generally only get out of the house a couple of times a week, so it’s often with quite a few postcards to post. I like seeing them building up on the hall table, ready to be posted.

I always used to draw the address as soon as one of mine was registered, but I can have 28 travelling at the same time now, and I can’t keep up with that. Earlier this week, I did get down to just one postcard slot available, but several of my travelling postcards were registered, so that this morning I had six spare slots.

5 Likes

Same here! As soon as a spot opens, I immediately have to claim another. It’s too exciting!! (and addicting)

4 Likes

I send batches of 5 or 10 postcards. I love choosing the right postcard for the recipient so I draw all the addresses at once and then go one by one, read the profile and pick the card. I typically send every couple of months when I feel like sending something again.

2 Likes

I tend to write postcards once a week and write how ever many slots I have open at that moment. Could be just 1, could also be 8 or 9.

When I was new, I pulled a new address as soon as possible. But now I have 100 slots and there is never a shortage of slots, so I pull whenever I like. I do not have a special time or day to pull addresses.

3 Likes

I loved countryhunting a lot!!

Like all hunting it takes time and skills.
What is happening now is the source.

As soon as a postcard from a rare country is registered - request an address! to see if you get to sent there. Have more free slots to be successfull.

Handicaps in this:
-Only if the difference is +1 address is given out
-only if postcrosser is active address might go out
-cards sent in Travel Mode from rare country are not result in address given out to that country
-you first might receive addresses of the top countries if you have not travelling to there
-if you are a bit late and see someone from your country sents to the rare country, your chances are limmited
-what is happening has a time delay in showing
-knowledge of flags is essential
-If you sent to repeated it is slightly more difficult
-etc etc

Have I been successfull in this? Mmmmmm it’s very difficult sport. And I was not.
How about you?

2 Likes