POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

I had hoped to send some cards yesterday to get the leap day cancel, but I’ve been really sick with the flu the last few days so haven’t been able to leave the house. Hopefully I’ll remember to do it in 2028 (!). :wink:

1 Like

They came back - I got two hand cancels (but date invisible!) and one machine cancellation

Boooooo for the invisible date

But I did get one other piece with a relatively visible postmark so yay

8 Likes

Hi Rooster, I had 4 Postcrossing items hand stamped on the 29th.

1 Like

I had mine hand cancelled at my LPO! They even let me do it myself :smiley:

9 Likes

There were no special postmarks for Leap Day in Thailand, but I collected the normal postmark for this special day.

I sent 4 Postcrossing postcard for Leap Day at Chatuchak Post Office in Bangkok. It’s the one of postcard-friendly post office in Thailand.
This is a postmark on a postcard I sent yesterday.

I choose the 2024 zodiac stamp (upper left) for each postcard with another stamps.

Ps. Yesterday was also the last day of THB 40 postal rate for a picture postcard. The rate has just increased to THB 50 each since today.

4 Likes

The (Spain’s) Spanish group has just, in fact, organised a thread to do precisely this!! Yesterday, a bunch of us went to our respective post offices and asked to have our postcards stamped with the leap year’s date so we all would have at least one postcard stamped in that way. It was quite fun to read the different post people’s reaction at us asking specifically for that stamping! And now that I think about it, I sent a bunch of postcards and envelopes on Wednesday evening, so those have probably been stamped with that date too! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hi, I sent 5 meetup postcards as I went to a Leap day meetup in Espoo, Finland. I asked the post office person to do hand cancellation. The rest of the meetup cards will be sent later.

1 Like

@mooseontheloose ,
I’m sorry your sick. I had the flu a month ago and it seemed to hold on longer than normal. I hope you get better soon.
Iz

1 Like

Pictorial postmarks from @Rooster
Thank you!!

Bliss, Ny

3 Likes

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/leap-year-day-cards-postmarks/780212

1 Like

I thought about requesting addresses and running to the post office to get cards hand cancelled, but I didn’t plan ahead, so I didn’t have slots available and I had to work until after the post office was closed. I work in healthcare and it was a busy day - not life and death, but busy enough.

I send out 10 postcards but since I couldn’t travel that day so I just put it in the mail box and the places near me usually don’t hand stamp them and just leaves them in a box to be picked up

What a great idea! I need to set a reminder up for 4 years time

1 Like

Pretty cool cancellation on Leap Year!

Thank you @Dr-K :blush:

5 Likes

just received the normal postmark for post originating from north wales… on a postcard from USA :thinking:

(they promote learning CPR on every piece of post by default iirc, it’s not really ‘commemorative’)

3 Likes

It probably went through the Royal Mail’s sorting machine at some point after it arrived in the UK…

2 Likes

it must have — interesting how (presumably) the machine still cancelled it despite it not being a UK stamp.

I often get mail stamped AT my local post office, though it came from other parts of the globe. At least once-a-week. Something. It’s like someone from Wales simply popped by to drop off my card … :rofl:

1 Like

i’ve never had this happen before — north wales isn’t even my local sorting centre!

This postcard I sent from the United Nations post office in Geneva just got registered!
The UN has a different postal system, it’s called the United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) and it issues its own stamps! So, despite being sent from Switzerland, the stamps and postmarks aren’t “officially” Swiss!

I put a stamp on the front of the postcard, so that the postmark would be visible for all once registered. Enjoy!

4 Likes