POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

UK Post Office Counter Date Stamp (Handstamp) used to postmark a large number of Machins + Special Stamp on this ‘Royal Mail Signed For Letter’

‘Shelthorpe Loughborough Post Office’- Leicestershire, Midlands, UK - 30.07.21

10 Likes

Recently, I received a postcard from Faroe Islands, this is the postmark!

Føroyar is how the islands are called. Klaksvík is a town, the second largest, with around 5000 people living on it.

9 Likes

I have received a card from China that has travelled for two months :blush:

2 Likes

This year’s Energy Awareness Month cancel is now an Energy Action Month cancel :slight_smile:

7 Likes

‘Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station’ cancellation from the post office near the station

11 Likes

This is the permanent philatelic postmark from Hobart in Tasmania.
You can get it if you ask for it in one of the central post offices

4 Likes

a beautiful collection of art stamps.

1 Like

My post office in India provides Pictorial postmark, it’s a historical one.
Current philatelic bureau functions in a building which is a heritage one. It’s 1st built electric theatre in south india built by British. So our cards/ mails will have this postmark !

7 Likes

I received a nice official postcard from Slovenia, postmarked neatly in Žalec. Two things about it have me curious. One is the little “e” under the city name, and the other is the T in a circle in the place a stamp should be. I’m guessing the postage was paid at the post office, and the rubber-stamp T might mean tax or tariff, and then a handstamp postmark applied. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Cyberport Post Office was closed after 16.10.2021. :cry: Only 10 special pictoral postmarks are still offered by philatelic post offices in Hong Kong.

1 Like

This is a permanent pictorial cancellation of Sasan Sub Post Office, Gujarat, India.

The stamp features an image of Asiatic Lion. Sasan is a small town within the area of Gir National Park - home to Asiatic Lions.

Traditional Indian Postcards (Known as Yellow Postcards) were cancelled on 10th Aug 2021 - National Lions Day. :lion::love_letter::lion:

7 Likes

:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck: Jai Jai Garvi gujarat…

2 Likes

e might indicate the particular hand cancelling tool (other tools on Žalec post office might have letter a, b, c, d)

T normally marks insufficient postage. In domestic post service (speaking for Slovenia) receiver has to pay fixed “penalty” to be able to get the particular mail.
In your case the post office clerk marked insufficient international postage (that square is where the stamp is normally affixed and I do not see it anywhere) and cancelled the card.

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense for the little e. Also, I received a reply from the sender, and he said he missed putting the stamp on (and offered to pay my cost). So it was marked for insufficient postage, not returned since there was no return address, and it travelled to me. I was not charged, so it travelled for free. I am glad to have learned the details, and thanks for your help!

2 Likes

A beautiful cancelation from Western Australia with a postmark from Perth.
The postmark depicts a black swan which is the emblem of the state.

7 Likes

Briefzentrum 50 works also on Sundays, for that is where my mail is processed, that I put in the letter box for the Sunday collection.

1 Like

Lithuania:

Possibly the cleanest hand-cancel I’ve seen, and I love the ink color.

Russia:

Haven’t seen this shape before.

San Marino:

USA:

This one is really interesting, an arrow points to the date postmarked.

10 Likes

Fantastic surprise arrived today, from the Smallest Post Office in the USA!

9 Likes

I received this lovely postmark from the Christmas Island.
Christmas Island is an Australian external territory but it’s located deep in the Indian Ocean, far away west, from the Australian mainland

15 Likes

6 Likes