POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

I don’t see hand cancellations in English from Belarus in this topic, so here you go

I cancelled those myself since I work at post office. It’s really surprising for me that some cancellations from my country made with the stamp that we use for inside mail. I thought that it’s not allowed :thinking:

5 Likes

Hi guys, I tried to update the postmark index in the first post, so that I could include all of the most recent contributions to this thread (thank you very much, by the way!). However, it looks like I can’t update my post anymore, as I’ve hit a character limit. Basically, my post has become too long! Could you help me by contacting the admins about this issue? I’ll also tag them, so that this topic will become more visible: @admins.

Oh, really? Are they supposed to be in English? I think all the mail that I’ve received from Belarus is written in Cyrillic letters. That’s very interesting. It’s nice how Belarus and Japan issue postmarks written in Latin characters for all the international mail. That’s very considerate, although I’d be equally thrilled to see a cancellation in their native language.

By the way, a big thank you to @Sascha_B for all these valuable pictures!

4 Likes

I don’t know where else to ask this, so maybe someone here can help! Is this a special cancellation and what does it refer to?

(Anyway, it’s very nice! :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

To me it looks like a syringe and bottles of serum… a nod to the covid vaccine.

2 Likes

I mailed a postcard to myself from my local post office to check what the cancelation looks like - here it is:

It is not the best quality, but at least it’s legible.

3 Likes

I wonder what the postmark from zimbabwe looks like?

Do you mean that only national letters should get a kyrillic cancellation officially and all international mail one with latin letters? I think that this is very interesting because I only have cancellations with kyrillic letters from Belarus (mostly from Minsk).

Well yeah, that’s what I’ve been told. I wonder what’s the reason behind this :thinking:

1 Like

A few postmarks from my travels

Monaco

Vatican City

Italy, sent by Globe postal service-took about 5 weeks to arrive.

8 Likes

I’ve got such a beautiful cancellation from Hannover! Not sure what it is, a palace orvthe town hall…

4 Likes

It is a special cancellation that promotes vaccination.

2 Likes

I will add stamps that I did not see in the topic:

United Arab Emirates - Machine
France (Reunion) - Machine
Israel - Hand
Macedonia - Hand
Netherlands - Machine
Russia - Inkjet
Ukraine - Machine
South Africa - Inkjet

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s a postmark promoting COVID vaccination. In fact, there were two COVID vaccine postmarks offered in this post office.

A couple of postmark samples - they are not stamped on a real mail piece, but on a card to collect sample postmarks.

The two are collected from the central post office of Luwan District, Shanghai, China.

(p.s. For people in mainland China, if you live far from there, you may send a mail to the post office to apply for the pictorial postmark! It’s on No. 7 Sinan Rd, with a postcode of 200020.)

These two are from a very small post office near Yu Yuan Garden (豫园).

4 Likes

It’s the town hall.

2 Likes

In France, we have the awful mechanic cancellations. However, there are 300 philatelic bureaux with a philatelic postmark. that is much more beautiful.

DSCF5126

10 Likes

Local hand cancel and regional machine cancel from USA. There is a typo in the hand cancel, should say “New Haven”.

10 Likes

Two more postmarks I obtained after last weekend’s meet-up:

The two are from East Jianguo Rd Post Office.

4 Likes

Wow - did they ever correct that? You may have a collector’s item there…

Beautiful cancellation from Japan.

11 Likes