POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

@SAM_44 Yes, I just showed Bolivia yesterday, and if you scroll up to the first post by @ChristianJ, you will see the links to Chile and Brazil ones. I will search for my Peru and Argentina postmarks to show here :slight_smile:

Not sure if this was posted, but figured out it was an interesting thing to post here.
When sending gotochi cards, you can have three different postmarks/cancellations.
a3
I received a postcard with the last one (roller postmark) here:

I received one with two postmarks. One is the special local cancellation, and the other, is a regular postmark.
As to not ruin the card and the special cancellation, the regular one was attached with tape by the post office, as seen here:

The text says “authorized”. The tape was easy to remove and it didn’t damage the card.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s so considerate! Are cancellations always done by hand in Japan? Because here, it’s done automatically and of course machines don’t care about destroying a special cancellation.

is there any from some African countries (Zimbabwe, South Africa, ETC)

These postmarks are on aerogrammes from Uganda.

1 Like

I haven’t seen machine ones yet in ones sent to me, that said, I know they have been used. They’re usually wavy lines.

I was digging through my old postcards and found some gems. I’m not sure which of these were already collected here, but maybe there’s something new around.

Algeria:

Chile:

Mexico:

Ethiopia:

Palestine(?):

Nigeria:

Kazakhstan:

Montenegro:

Costa Rica:

Greece:

South Africa:

Moldova:

Dominican Republic:

Armenia:

6 Likes

Received from Japan today, such a perfect cancellation that I just could not not share it.

I have an envelope posted from Myanmar somewhere if I can just remember where it is…

5 Likes

I always wondered how the cards from my local post office arrive to people, if they’re clear enough, or if the rubber is too old and becomes faded… Maybe I’ll do a little test one day… :sweat_smile:

I have some from South Africa

3 Likes

so, today I visited the new philatelic shop in Cologne which magically moved from the city to the outskirts. The best thing I can say, the new souvenir cancel finally works and the people are very nice. Although there was a long row of people waiting after he was done cancelling 5 cards.

But it looks like this now (after years of just not having one I am very happy about it!)

12 Likes

To show the new cancel of my hometown:

Also this shop is quite a way from the city centre- I’ll go there if I fancy a nice long walk, maybe once or twice a week. All other cards will leave via the postbox a few hundred metres away, getting the standard cancellation.

8 Likes

Even when I worked for USPS getting something neatly cancelled was often an exercise in futility. The distribution center would sometimes just dump everything into the machine to be cancelled even if I tagged the bundle. And don’t even dare try to ask at the counter. You will almost always get a very very clear “NO!” but as I mentioned already it is a moot point. My office would hand cancel small amounts of letters on request but it seems we were the exception.

Some more Handstamps from UK Mail Centres

4 Likes

So now, we have set the date right.

But still, it is no real fun to go there to get this done.

2 Likes

Received a different style of hand-cancellation from Russia (Novosibirsk).

2 Likes

Malta:

Mongolia:

Ukraine (blue ink):

North Macedonia:

Azerbaijan:

Lebanon:

Tunisia:

8 Likes

Bosnia & Herzegovina (Republika Srpska):

Albania:

3 Likes

I found something else in my „travel memories“

Vatican City:

Cambodia:

Vietnam (blue ink):

and an additional cancellation from Zurich Airport, Switzerland:

3 Likes

From today’s post - Pakistan (without stamps for international covers since the middle of 2020):

3 Likes