Posthumous postcard received (sentimental)

Hello, postcrossers!
Last week, I got the call that my dear grandfather, aged 87, had passed away. But it turns out that the day before he died, he had mailed a postcard to me. To receive it after his death is very special to me, in a way that I think many postcard enthusiasts can understand. I just wanted to share.

156 Likes

That is incredibly touching, thanks for sharing! This almost brings me to tears. It’s like he left a little bit of himself behind. I lost my grandpa many years ago and it would have been nice to have something to remember him by. I’m sure you’ll treasure the postcard for years to come. :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

This is so touching. It’s a beautiful and extremely special card!!

5 Likes

So touching! Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss.
May his soul rest in peace!

3 Likes

Grief can be so comsuming. We never get over losing loved-ones you just learn to live with the loss. To get a card from someone who has passed is a real gift. I love looking through my mum’s old letters and seeing her handwriting again. :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

What a beautiful story and thanks for sharing it. I’m sorry for your loss but pleased you have something so special to remember him by. All the very best Mary.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing - this is really beautiful. I’m sincerely sorry for your loss, he sounds like a special grandpa.

2 Likes

What a perfect way to say “I’ll always be with you” - in a postcard, in memories and in everything that will make you think of him :heartpulse:
Thanks for sharing :heartpulse:

3 Likes

So touching! So special.

I can understand how you feel. My grandmother crocheted some Barbie clothes for dolls I had sitting around. My grandfather said she worked on them day and night before she passed. I gave to me and passed about a week later in her sleep. I cherish every one of those dolls. Just like I know you will always cherish that postcard.

7 Likes

This is a very special card, I am very sorry for your loss…

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss, Mary. Thank you for sharing this special card with us. :heart:

1 Like

This is so beautiful and touching, thanks for sharing with us!

I’m so sorry for your loss. :dove:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this lovely act from your late grandfather. It will be a treasure to cherish forever.
May he rest in peace :tulip:

1 Like

I am sorry for your loss. It feels like miracle, isn’t it? Thank you for sharing this moment.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing with us! What an amazing gift. I used to exchange letters with my Gran when I was at college, and I am so happy that I have her letters to treasure. Sending love your way :postbox: :heart_decoration:

1 Like

My condolences for your loss. So grateful that he had this moment to share with you. Thank you for sharing it. It’s inspiring.

1 Like

“Gone but not forgotten!” so special farewell :frowning: *
May your happy memories give you peace and comfort during this challenging time!
May his soul rest in peace! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this amazing event with us! Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

What a precious gift!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone for your kind words. I framed this postcard last week in a magnetic acrylic block, so that both sides can be seen/read. Now it’s in my home office where I can see it every day.

4 Likes