Postcrossing Stamp For New Zealand 2024

Just got my pre order email. Hopefully they will be popular and they will do more issues in the future. I live around the corner from the Philatelic Bureau that distributes these and have been politely suggesting (nagging) for a few years for this release! Nice to finally see it!

3 Likes

I’m so excited for you!! And great job with the nagging! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:t2:

1 Like

They are a great bunch at the Bureau and have been hand cancelling my Postcrossing mail for years and putting it in protective slips to send. I’ve taken a break for this year but still have plenty of postcards when I’m ready to get back into the groove. These cards might do that for me :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with NZ maxicards…although I’ve been on the brink of purchasing Hairy McClary and Lord of the Rings maxis on several occasions…but can you tell me about this pic?

I’m assuming the stamp on the front will be the real one, and the one on the back will be a printed image? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the stamp on the front will be the real one and the back one an image. $3.30 is the international Postcard rate so the maxicard will not need extra postage from here.

The image itself is of a Kiwi, our national bird which is nocturnal and flightless, being aided in his mail delivery with helium balloons over Wellington city (the Capital City of NZ).

I did find it interesting that there is no Miniature Sheet or First Day cover being issued with these. The focus seems to be purely on the fact it is for Postcards.

I like our other maxicards but it is a little annoying how expensive they are considering that the postcard rate is only $3.30 but they put higher value stamps on them. In the past the Lord of the Rings ones have been very popular. They are among some of my most favourited postcards. Our new Matariki ones that are coming out are very pretty.

2 Likes

Thank you!

New Zealand Post keep the stamp issue for one year before deleting the issue from public sale. I think this will be a set I’ll buy a few times this year. Use some and keep some for future use. It is a good design. Rather cute I think.

2 Likes

Do Maxi Cards in NZ hold their value?

So if postage went up, could you still use these as is? Or would you need to add another stamp?

1 Like

I agree! I think it’s very cute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good question. I don’t think the Maxi-cards hold their value. Most likely there would be another postage increase in mid-2025. I have on occasion sent cards overseas with the stamp value under the required value at the time and the mail has arrived. I’ve also sent cards and letters overseas with stamps on them over the value of recognised overseas postal rate at that time. The maxi cards won’t be available for purchase after one year and any left that are sent should have the extra postage value added to the card, but in saying that it’s harder and harder to get stamps of smaller value.

2 Likes

Ah that’s a shame - thanks for answering! I’ve pre-ordered a couple of the maxi cards for whenever I go back to NZ again, but since I just got back 2 weeks ago it might not be till next year now! Hopefully if it’s after any postage increases I can find the stamps I need!

If the postage rates increase you will need to add extra postage. Rates tend to increase here on the 1st of July every year. As a stamp collector I have plenty of sources for make up rate postage. I think it is possible that the post centres would have stamps that would cover the change in postage rates, but I’ve never had to put that to the test.

2 Likes

In regards to maxicard postal rates. If the corner (on the writing side) shows a price you need to add stamps to match the current postal rate.

In the 1990’s and 2000’s some of the maxicards had Postage Paid in the corner. I have had those confirmed no additional stamp required on those.

3 Likes

I have been watching this thread for a while and been unable to post because I have been working with NZ Post on something related to the Postcrossing issue. So i have known what the issue looked like for a couple of months. Been so painful being quiet.

Those who receive the NZ Post emails may have noticed they quoted me in the email :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did see the quote in the email, and wondered if it were someone in here. I love the design and can’t wait to 1/ receive my order and then 2/ get myself over your way to use it!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Would anyone in New Zealand be up for organizing a meeting for the stamp launch? It’s the perfect excuse to bring postcrossers together and celebrate the new stamp! :slight_smile:

3 Likes