Postcrossing coincidences: What are the odds?

I run our family’s account, and my wife runs our school’s library account. The same guy in Seattle has sent us both postcards. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Interesting phenomena.
I have been a Postcrosser for only one year now and have like 170 received cards, but the thing with the consecutive IDs seems to happen very often. It happened to me twice:

And then almost another two times, with one number missing in between.

I wonder who received the in-between postcards :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I case you really wonder you could look it up via Explore-Search on the main-site
www.postcrossing.com/search/postcards

2 Likes

i have no big coincidences to share, only 3 little stories.

last year i received on the same day two postacards from different countries and those postcrossers were born on the same day, different years :grinning:

one of my postcardpals in china and i are born on the same day, different years :grinning:

last year i asked for a meetup postcard to the canadian postcrosser who organized it, she kindly agreed to put me on her list of postcards to send on the meetup day, so some weeks later i received what i asked for.
some days later i received again that postcard, this time it was an official postcard with ID and after registering i found the sender who picked up my address on the meetup day was the same who i asked for the meetup postcard to :grinning:

9 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t think I’d ever get to see those cards :smiley: learning something new every day!

I was looking at my received postcards list yesterday and put it in alphabetical order according to the country name; when I saw I’d only received one from Estonia :estonia:, I remember thinking I’d quite like to get another one from there since almost two years had passed since I got the last one and, lo and behold, an Estonian postcard arrived today!

22 Likes

I drew an adress and the ID number I had to o send to was exactly my own telephone number !!!

56 Likes

Same for me with my Spanish postcardpal :smiley: But we knew from the beginning, since she has her date of birth on her Postcrossing profile (I don’t) so I noticed it straight away :smiley:

So many cool coincidences, people! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

we’ve been knowing since we started too, but i was the one who noticed when he asked me for direct swapping :grinning:

1 Like

I didnt know that having multiple is illegal in post crossing. I just read it a few minutes ago. No wonder my other account never get any postcards even tho i already sent 6-7 cards already.

So one time, i ever got a same address for both of my account going to Malaysia. So i decided to experiment with sending postcard with envelope. Since the post office staff told me if i use envelope, it would be much more expensive than without. Like. … I just believe it without further learning. :relieved: now im addicted to send it with envelope

Now idk what should i do with the 2nd acc. I spent quite alot of money on that already.

It’s discouraged, but a lot of people do it.

That has nothing to do with being a second account - you probably haven’t logged in for a while and so it became inactive? Or some other reason like your cards were registered recently and so the ones coming to you are still travelling.

But you would spend the same money on only one account - it’s not like it cost you to open it. I would just stop using it (and register any cards going to it), but I don’t understand why people have more than one account anyway, I spend enough money with just one!

For completeness, this is what the FAQs state:

Postcrossing does not welcome multiple accounts per person . The project is designed with safety and fairness in mind and for that, certain limits have been applied to each account. By having more than one account, those restrictions no longer apply, creating several problems for other members and for Postcrossing as well.

For example, we can no longer make sure that any two people do an exchange only once, and it is harder for a receiver to know which account they should register a postcard with, etc. It also creates imbalances in the address selection system, which is unfair to other members.

We do understand that members are very enthusiastic about participating in Postcrossing (and we love that!) and that sometimes they would like to send and receive more postcards than our system allows them to with a single account — which is why the limit of postcards each account can send at the same time increases over time.

For any postcrosser wishing to exchange more postcards than their own account allows, we recommend to:

• Organize direct swaps with other members. Or, do other types of postcard exchanges on the forum, where many other members would be happy to exchange with you.
  • Be a little bit more patient! The amount you can send at the same time will increase, and soon enough you will find that you can send more than you can handle (or afford).

We occasionally tolerate that one person holds more than one account if within a reasonable amount, and only if we see strong evidence of proper usage. But, we still do not welcome such practices and we strongly discourage anyone from doing it. Postcrossing monitors the project for multiple accounts held by a single person, and we reserve the right to delete any such accounts without warning.

3 Likes

yes i read the FAQ just today :joy:
Oh really? I thought its really forbidden to have 2nd acc. Since i read somewhere that they will delete the 2nd account. And my second acount never been inactivate. In fact, i just joined this community in September. Sent 6-7 cards but none of the card that i received can be registered in that acc. Only my main acc could register it. It keep saying that the postcard id isnt valid.

True, making acc here doesnt require any payment. But as a student, its still kind of expensive to send and buy cards here. And i have my 2nd acc so i can send and get more postcard faster. Like, i’ve always been wanting to do this for my whole life. And as how asian country would be, we were really skeptical about foreign country. So the rule of max 5 cards for beginner is kind of annoys me.

Sorry idk how to quote here yet. :frowning:

1 Like

@PausUngu The cards have arrived to your main account then, if you can register your received cards in that account. You can’t choose to which account you register it.

I really encourage you learning to use Postcrossing with one account at first, and later maybe you’ll notice, as you can send more, you won’t need another account.

Also, if this is expensive for you, I suppose there is no point to open another account to send more. Right?

It is slow in the beginning, but I think it’s good, as you will have more time to learn what to do.

Looks like you have sent 8 cards from your main account. How many have you sent with the another account? Hopefully you have something in your address, so that you can find out which card is to which account. I see a great chance of disorder when keeping two accounts, and only now reading the f.a.q. which in my opinion should have been read before starting to send the cards :slight_smile:.

16 Likes

I’ve had my fair share of Postcrossing coincidences too.

I have received postcards from the same person but from their second (even third) accounts! But they have been sending nice postcards (as opposed to those who send only one design to everyone in an attempt to maximise their returns), so I guess Postcrossing is tolerant of them too.

I discovered that one of my friends was in Postcrossing when I happened to see her browse her email one day, and I saw the “Hurray!” message in her inbox. But we live in the same country, and since our country Singapore is way too small, we did not choose the option to send to other Postcrossers in our country, so we have never sent each other postcards before.

There are also occasions where I’ll be browsing a Postcrosser’s gallery by chance, and I liked quite a number of postcards from that Postcrosser’s gallery. A few days later, I end up drawing the Postcrosser’s address and now it’s my turn to add a postcard into his/her gallery. I will usually write in my postcard body to let the Postcrosser know of this concidence/algorithm magic too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I once got an address of a member who is born in the same city where I was born, on the same date I was born. That was quite a surprise! I saw the city first and thought maybe we are around the same age and have been at the same school… The surprise when I saw we shared birthday too! And not only by the day, but by the year too. We didn’t went to same school, but as there is only one hospital in that city, the chances are pretty big that we have been hanging out together as babies briefly after birth. Maybe had our first check ups together. Who knows.

46 Likes

Maybe not literally a coindence, but I find these things so funny:
I got an address and as I read the profile, the member had 15 cards sent and 14 received. I look around his received and favourites and back on the main profile page I notice that he now has 15 sent and 15 received! He was there registering as I got his address - if I had picked a minute later, maybe he wouldn’t have been due any cards. By the time I actually started writing the postcard, he had 17 received, that is he registered several postcards just minutes after I got his address. So funny!

11 Likes

My name is Hanna and today I received a card from a Hana from the Czech Republic. Not so long ago I had already received a card from another Hanna from Sweden.

8 Likes

I have just received the same card twice on the same day. I just recently started collection WT cards and so far only have Switerland in my “collection”. So now two people from two different countries chose to send me the WT Christmas Card. One was an official the other was from an RR. So from all the choices they could have made they sent this one. I think that is a coincidence. I don’t mind as the back of the card still looks different.

7 Likes

Today morning received 3 cards with 3 different cups.

Drinks and food are mentioned in my “About”, but it doesn’t matter here, cause:
One is from our Russian Postcrossing project;
Second was won in “Guess what I am” tag - it could have been anything))
Third (but not least) for “Christmas cards” tag, which also could have been just anything besides a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows)))

24 Likes

Two times I drew addresses of the same person with 2 accounts.
One person is from Czech Republic, the other is from Germany

1 Like