Postcrossing coincidences: What are the odds?

One funny coincidence happened to me and my Swiss friend. We met up in a pub, decided to drew new addresses. She was on travel mode. We drew together (three, two, one, now!) So we had: consequent numbers and same person. We had great fun writing them and signed each other postcards. We have not chose same pictures though.

38 Likes

i have one too

the reason i got into postcrossing was because of this lady on youtube named Barbra. One day i got a postcard from the state she was in and at the bottom it said ā€œ- Barbraā€ but i didnā€™t think much of it because there are tons of people named Barbra. Once i registered the card her profile popped up and it was her.

i just think its strange because neither of us had sent many cards on there at the time. Definitely made my day to get a card from the person who inspired me to join postcrossing.

59 Likes

@gijoewearsdiapers She must be ā€œTea and Postcardsā€
I also watch her YouTube channel.
Last year I was in the same RR with her.

I also received a card from another member whose YouTube channel I watch. Itā€™s ā€œpostcrossingloverā€ a.k.a Caroline from French. On her video on 28 Sep 2020 she was talking about writing cards as part of her 100 traveling cards. One of the card was for me. I received and registered the card last Wednesday.

23 Likes

The amount of time that had elapsed between your drawing the addresses makes that really interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like

That sounds like my experience! What surprises me is that my friend and I were sending from the USā€“not a small country in terms of the number of Postcrossers. We live in different states and there is, to my knowledge, no way that the algorithm could have known that we grew up in the same neighborhood and were best pals since age 9 or so. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Consider it lucky that you got to witness a far-away friendship as a postcard recipient!

3 Likes

How fun! I can feel the excitement of you and your friend when you saw you had drawn the same person, and I imagine that the recipient had great fun reading your cards as well. :blush:

Over the years we hear a lot of these stories, and they never fail to make us happy!

Some years ago, a postcrosser in France told us he had randomly received his best friendā€™s address through the site (at the time they lived in different countries). They were both so happy about it that they ended up tattooing the Postcard ID on themselves! Maybe Iā€™ll poke him to come on the new forum and tell that story. :smiley:

81 Likes

I had something similar happen - I received CA-236566 and CA-234730 on the same day. Same photo, although the cards had a different design. One traveled for a month and one for two weeks, yet they met together in my mail box.

My other big coincidence was when I was organising a meet up in Melbourne. Beforehand, someone had messaged me requesting a swap, but then during the meet up, I drew her address as an official.

8 Likes

Just a small coincidence, but I found it too good! I was drawing addresses in a row, so number 1 was Norwayā€¦ number 2 was Finlandā€¦ and I thought ā€œif the third would be Sweden, I had a scandinavian country bingo!ā€. Soā€¦ drawing number 3ā€¦ and it was Sweden indeed! :smiley: Too nice, since both Norway and Sweden are not so common. :blush:

40 Likes

The first Postcrossing Meetup card I got was from the city I live in. That was also the moment when I found out that Postcrossing Meetings exist.

14 Likes

Pity nobody let you knowā€¦ But German meetings go booked out very fast, unlike our meetups in Southern Europe. When I (co-)hosted meetings in Italy and Spain, I sent out personal messages to all the active members in the area to let them know and increase the number of attendees. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shhhhh! Donā€™t spoil the magic for @MarinaL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The other day a postcrosser wrote me, that he lived on a narrowboat on an English canal for than 20 years - and today I got this wonderful card with narrowboats on the Grand-Union-Canal from another Postcrosser:

8 Likes

I once drew the address of a postcrosser and the very same day my mum received a really beautiful card by the same postcrosser - that really blew my mind a bit! :wink:

20 Likes

Something similar happened to me ā€“ a father and son in India each drew my address (consecutive ID numbers) and sent me cards from the same series. I believe they were in the same home; the son commented on his card that they were surprised to each get my address.

Iā€™m guessing the reason it happened is because I often kept my account set on inactive (for receiving cards) while traveling or moving addresses, while continuing to send official cards. Then, once I was able to receive cards again, I made my account active and all the cards ā€œowedā€ to me were drawn by people requesting cards at that time.

Iā€™ve also had a couple coincidences where I received the same card (never received previously) on the same day, sent by different people.

4 Likes

I think Mikebond referred to telling about the meeting in advance, not the card sent from there.

PS: Interesting to know that one canā€™t quote the emoticons

3 Likes

Hi Stefan! You are right: I was talking about e-messages sent through the Postcrossing website to let local postcrossers know about the meeting. Many users have no idea that meetups exist until they receive a postcard from one. So, no magic spoiled, @PinkNoodle! :smiley:

1 Like

This isnā€™t a wild coincidence by any stretch, but my mom and I both received postcards today; One from Lithuania and the other from Latvia.

We got a kick out of the fact that those countries neighbor each other and that we got a card from each of them on the same day :blush:

12 Likes

Sorry butā€¦ do you mean you register in batches, 50 cards at the time? (or whichever amount you choose). Please, please, please donā€™t do that :slight_smile: It is terribly frustrating as a sender to wait and wait to see a card registered (presumably you know the feeling too?!) and batch-registeres are not popular. Postcards should be registered as soon as reasonably possible when they arriveā€¦

If that is not what you meant, then ignore me :smiley:

Ooh wait, maybe thatā€™s what you meanā€¦? You go inactive until you reached the desired difference?

Interesting practice, if thatā€™s what you do - I absolutely hate the deluge of cards you get after being inactive, I much prefer it when things are paced (which happens rarely to me anyway as I always receive in enormous numbers and then it takes forever for my sent to catch up).

4 Likes

I understand that changing between active and inactive resp. having several of your adresses swimming to the pool at the same time due to a imbalance helps with receiving consecutive numbers. But how does it increase to receive a duplicate? Usually, there are more cards than one type in every country (meet_up coincidences excluded)

I also donā€™t understand what you hope to achieve from the travel-mode for ten minutes. To avoid your adress given to the pool? Thatā€™s what inactive is for, in my opinion. Or do you want your cards sent to be super-accurate in regard of where-from/kms?